Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Author Topic: What are [fill in the blank]'s strengths and weaknesses as a writer?  (Read 2999 times)

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website

AKA the warm fuzzy thread!

Julie had a great idea since we were listing our own strengths and weaknesses, to list the strengths and weaknesses of someone else here on the board. Only when talking about myself weaknesses is fine, but if I'm going to be talking about someone else I don't want to use the word weakness necessarily, but how about just maybe just a little constructive criticism.

Though, this is very similar to the favorite authors/stories thread, it's not quite the same. One person starts and then the next person answers the question about the person who just posted. It doesn't have to be your favorite, and it's about the writing, not the stories. Though, you could most certainly use specific stories as examples in your comments.

And remember, we all have areas where we Rock, and where we could use improvement. It helps to hear both. But the term is constructive criticism, not flaming. Let's keep it respectful! 

I'll go ahead and start and since the author who's work I'm most familiar with is Sarah (Starbeamz2) I'll pick her.

Sarah, Sarah, Sarah, where do I begin? My brilliant co-writer(who should update ;)) My other half - my angsty half.

I think I mentioned this in the other thread, but Sarah is beautiful. Physically too, but I mean her writing. She has a way with her words like no one else I read on here. Eloquent is a great word. She flows on the page very well and I think that is a major asset she has in pulling you into her stories.

I think that's also one of the reasons you get attached to her characters. Sarah is great at showing character's emotions. She especially good at the angst! She makes you feel what they are going through, and feel sorry for them, or excited for them, and sometimes downright pissed off at them. I get so invested in her stories that once I start I usually just HAVE to see what's going to happen next.

Sarah has a great handle on the romance. You want to fall in love  when her characters do. You want to see them reach that perfect ending. And even though romance is a difficult genre to not get repetitive and cliche in, Sarah's great at giving it her own style and keeping you in the story. Even if she's writing something cliche (which she's pretty good at avoiding) you hardly notice it because you already love the story so much that you just don't care. Kudos to you Sarah, that's hard to do!

Something I think that Sarah could work on is taking her time through a story. She has a tendency to Start off with this amazing story idea, with all this momentum and then she kind of peters off at the end. (Or just loses interest or gets stuck and doesn't finish) Sometimes her endings feel rushed, or thrown together just to get to the end. Believe me, I know what it feels like to want to just be done already, but you've already invested so much time and effort on such a beautiful story, the end is supposed to be what we've all been waiting for. I'd suggest taking extra time to take the care and give your stories the endings they most definitely deserve.

The other thing about Sarah, is that she just doesn't give herself enough credit!!!! This drives me crazy!! She's always saying that the stuff she writes anymore is all just crap. Well, Sarah, that's a load of crap in itself, and I think that this delusional way of thinking is only hurting you. I think you get so discouraged because you're being to hard on yourself that you don't even enjoy what you're writing anymore. I think you're too worried on trying to make something good - worried about being too technical - that you forget to just sit back and tell me an awesome story that I can gush over. Sometimes, especially in fan fic, we need to not take things quite so seriously. If you're not having fun with it, it shows. You're a great writer Sarah! I love you and I love writing with you and would love to see you find that love again!

If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
Re: What are [fill in the blank]'s strengths and weaknesses as a writer?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 12:00:30 AM »

I haven't thought about this enough yet, but I'd like to add, once someone praised an author in here, that same author cannot be picked again.

Meaning the same authors can't be mentioned over and over again. Because everyone deserves warm fuzzies.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 12:01:46 AM »

ooh, that's a good one rose!! Let's see how many authors we can get in here.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 12:03:32 AM »

ooh, that's a good one rose!! Let's see how many authors we can get in here.

I just foresaw certain people picking the same fave authors over and over LOL. I feel everyone needs love! hehe.

However, I do encourage picking more than one person to do this for :)
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 06:54:47 AM »

You're actually supposed to post about the person who posted last... so Rose, if you're going to post, you should write about Kelly, and then the next person would write about you, and so on.  That way everyone who posts gets a compliment and a critique about themselves too.

Not everyone on the board is probably ready to be critiqued like this, so that's what makes it on a volunteer basis.  I know Sarah won't mind that Kelly used her to start with, but who knows, some people might.  I wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 07:05:41 AM »

But what if (hypothetically) Rose has never read anything by Kelly and has nothing constructive to say?
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 09:21:14 AM »

Maybe, if you're willing to be listed in here then just say so and we'll make a list on the top of the thread and then anyone could pick someone from the list. That was you can write about whoever you want and nobody gets picked more than once and nobody who doesn't want the critique gets it...

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 10:34:10 AM »

Hey! Maybe I didn't WANT to be critiqued! Did anyone think of that? hmmmm?

just kidding.  Actually, Kelly, thanks so much for that critique.  I sort of already knew what I need to do better, and you are SO right about rushed endings. Like, hello, Once Upon a Time, anyone? lol As for my negativity about myself, well, that's just me. *shrugs*

Anyway, to anyone who's wary about having their stories critiqued, don't be! It actually feels pretty great :) This is an awesome idea, and I hope plenty of people sign up for it!
Sarah

BSB-Chick-101♥

• Captain of Commotion
  • I've got it bad...and I've got it good!
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 01:41:00 PM »

This sounds cool, I'll keep my eyes on it...looks really cool.
Um, not really much to say. Hi?

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 05:28:29 PM »

Maybe, if you're willing to be listed in here then just say so and we'll make a list on the top of the thread and then anyone could pick someone from the list. That was you can write about whoever you want and nobody gets picked more than once and nobody who doesn't want the critique gets it...

That's a good idea.  Otherwise, to Julilly's question, I was going to say, just wait for a writer you feel comfortable posting about before you post.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling