Fic Talk > Writer's Circle

Let's ring in the new year with some praise!

(1/10) > >>

RokofAges75:
I'm not sure what to call this thread, but basically, it's officially the last day of 2008, and I thought this would be a nice chance for us to lift ourselves and each other up with some well-deserved praise.  This thread is part Author Inquisition, part Shameless Plugs, and part survey.  Here are the questions for your consideration. ..

1.  What was your biggest writing- or fanfic-related accomplishment of 2008?

2.  What do you feel was the best piece of writing you did this year?  It can be a whole story or just a certain chapter or scene.  Give us a link or, if it's a really short excerpt (like a paragraph), post it here.

3.  Which of your own stories are you most proud of, and why?  (This doesn't have to be one written in 2008).

4.  Give us a link to one of your own stories that you feel is undiscovered or underappreciat ed, and tell us why you think it's worthy of being read.

5.  Switching over to praise for other writers, give us a link to someone ELSE'S story that you feel is undiscovered or underappreciat ed.  Again, tell us why you think this story is worthy of being read.

6.  What was the best story you discovered in 2008?  Provide a link, and tell why you liked it.

7.  Name an AC author who impressed you this year (with their writing, their updating, whatever it may be LOL), and tell us why.

8.  Do you have any writing- or fanfic-related resolutions for 2009?  If so, what are they?

I thought of sort of a challenge to go along with this thread, but I'll wait and see how many responses it gets before I post that.

honey:
take pity on us westerners huh... It's not official for me or Reb yet!  :P

RokofAges75:
LOL sorry.  You can answer the questions anyway... it's close enough! ;)

honey:
1.  What was your biggest writing- or fanfic-related accomplishment of 2008? Um, well I'd have to say writing Being Jamie Baker was my biggest accomplishment this year. It was my first absolutely 100% original fiction, and without having the boys to draw from I was surprised at what a challenge it was. I can usually write a novel in 4-6 months, Jamie took me over 8.

2.  What do you feel was the best piece of writing you did this year?  It can be a whole story or just a certain chapter or scene.  Give us a link or, if it's really short excerpt (like a paragraph), post it here.Again I'm going to go with Jamie Baker on this one. I think my writing in Fan Friction has it's moments, but as an overall story I think Jamie pulls you in and keeps you there up until the end. (At least I really hope so!)  http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2500230/1/Being_Jamie_Baker

3.  Which of your own stories are you most proud of, and why?  (This doesn't have to be one written in 2008). This is super hard because I'm proud of a lot of my stories for a lot of different reasons. I guess I'd say If We Were A Movie because not only do I still just love it too pieces, it got such a great response and was nominated for a few fiction press awards. People got really attached to my characters in that one and that always makes me proud.

4.  Give us a link to one of your own stories that you feel is undiscovered or under-appreciated, and tell us why you think it's worthy of being read.Ooh, I'd def say In The Shadows!! I am in love with this fic! My amazing co-writer Sarah just blows my socks off, and I think that the two of us together just make each other reach our potential a lot of the time. We also come up with some great stuff because two heads are better than one. This one isn't read all that much because we don't update enough, but it's soooo fun. It's Brian as Batman! But the other guys are all in it enough that it has those great "group moments" too. Anyway, it may very well be my favorite of all my stories and I think that's because Sarah's beautiful angst balances out all my sarcastic fluff rather nicely. http://www.absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8626

5.  Switching over to praise for other writers, give us a link to someone ELSE'S story that you feel is undiscovered or underappreciat ed.  Again, tell us why you think this story is worthy of being read.  Ooh, this is super easy!

My Mind's Eye by your_ill_july
Summary: "Lonely is a man without love."
Suffering through a seemingly loveless marriage, and a lack of friends writer Nick Carter finds himself a desperate man, alone in a crowd and looking for something to fill the voids in his life. When Alaina swings into his world, she turns it upside down.
http://www.absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8872&warning=4

This story is just written so beautifully and is extremely captivating and easy to relate to! I fell in love by the end of chapter one and will wait patiently for each and every update. It's hardly read at all because it's this authors only posted story and it's an AU about just Nick, but I promise it's so worth the read!!!   

6.  What was the best story you discovered in 2008?  Provide a link, and tell why you liked it. This would have to be the same as the question above. Seriously, beautiful fic!!! One of my favorites!! Oh, and another one that was started this year called Call Of Darkness by Monkeyabu and Starry Eyes is off to a good start. http://www.absolutechaos.net/viewuser.php?uid=319 There's only three chapters of this one so far, but it's well written and it makes me wonder what is going to happen, so I often find myself wondering when they are going to update. Not that many stories on AC do that for me anymore.

7.  Name an AC author who impressed you this year (with their writing, their updating, whatever it may be LOL), and tell us why.Um, I'd say Erika(Kevmylove) definitely impressed me this year. I'd read some of her earlier stuff, but when I read Sinister Devotion, I was really surprised at how far she's come as a writer. I can see a ton of progress! Not to mention, that I really, really enjoy the story! It's very unique, and AJ(or I should say Jack) is such a fascinating character. Mad props to you hun, you deserve it! 

8.  Do you have any writing- or fanfic-related resolutions for 2009?  If so, what are they? Well I am going to take my original fiction and do my bestest to find an agent this year. Bring on the rejection letters!! lol Keep your fingers crossed for me!  I also would like to finish at least Fan Friction this year, and I'm still in the air about this sci-fi I started when I got stuck. I may write that one too... But I don't really have any intentions to write any new fan fic, so I'd like to make the goal to finish up as much of the in-progress stories I've got going as I can. Hopefully I'll find my motivation again, but after this year, it's just not necessarily looking that way, so we'll see.

mare:
aww yay a survey! I love these things!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version