Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Author Topic: Flaw in the script with collaborated fics?  (Read 5556 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Flaw in the script with collaborated fics?
« on: January 19, 2009, 11:05:05 AM »

I'm just on a roll with my questions now!  LOL  I'm not trying to bug anyone, but this has been bugging me forever, and I just noticed it again.

Has anyone else noticed that your collaborated fics show up multiple times in the Manage Stories menu?  In my account, Code Blue shows up four times... and now I just logged onto the Himitsu Takana account for 00Carter, and when I go to Manage Stories there, the story shows up EIGHT times.

Here's a couple screenshots:

I just figured out today that it's showing it the same number of times as AC authors who are listed on the story.  There are four authors connected to CB and eight connected to 00Carter, and that's how many times the story is showing up.  I don't think they show up multiple times anywhere else, like not on the actual site.  Just on that Manage Stories menu.

Is this just a flaw in the script?  Is there an easy way of fixing it?  I'm afraid if I try to delete the "extra" stories, it would really just delete the whole thing, and I don't want to do that.  Just wondering if it does this to everyone else too!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Chaos

• Villiage Idiot
  • Almighty Ruler
  • Minion of Mayhem
  • Defy Reality
    • Absolute Chaos
Re: Flaw in the script with collaborated fics?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 11:33:40 AM »

You know, I keep hearing about this and I'm pretty sure that it is a flaw in the script, but I can't get it to consistantly do it and can't find why it works sometimes and not others...*grumbles*. I also can't get it to do it at all on my 'co-authored' fics/never been able to duplicate the problem on my own account.

I'm not sure if I can fix it or not, but if you'll PM me the pwd for the Himitsu Takana account, I can maybe log in and do some tinkering with the script to see if I can fix it.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 12:06:01 PM »

PM sent. :)  Thanks for checking!
~Julie

Chaos

• Villiage Idiot
  • Almighty Ruler
  • Minion of Mayhem
  • Defy Reality
    • Absolute Chaos
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 12:16:07 PM »

Got it. Thanks! I'll play around w/ it a bit and see if I can figure out why it does that. It only seems to do it in the Original Author's manage stories (although even then it doesn't always do it, which makes it even more strange...eh.)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 12:23:08 PM »

Yeah, I noticed that too... because I only have one 00Carter in my own RokofAges75 account.  But I'm the original author for CB, so it shows up four times.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 02:31:57 PM »

This happens to me too with "The Rest is Still Unwritten." :( I've always found it at least a little annoying. But I never log on enough for it to really bother me too much.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 02:32:57 PM »

you know maybe it would be easier if you all just stopped collaborating! lmao

I am kidding :) *hugs you all*
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Chaos

• Villiage Idiot
  • Almighty Ruler
  • Minion of Mayhem
  • Defy Reality
    • Absolute Chaos
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 02:36:03 PM »

LOL. Yeah I knew there were some bugs in the co-author stuff, but figured that even though they're annoying bugs, it'd probably still be worth it to have the option.

I think I pinpointed where in the script the problem is, but so far haven't figured out how to fix it without breaking other parts of the script *grumbles*...lol.

I'm told that upgrading to a newer version of the script fixes the co-author problems, but so far sounds like there are far more serious problems that need to be fixed in that version so...not upgrading until I'm sure it won't break other stuff. (I think I really should have just stopped upgrading a couple upgrades ago...when everything was working, but there weren't quite as many features...ah well...)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 02:37:42 PM »

Maybe we just have a necessity to live by the adage "two heads are better than one!" Maybe it completes us!
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 02:56:53 PM »

It's okay, Chaos.  It's still easier to be able to add co-authors so everyone gets the credit they deserve.  It's worth it to have to look at eight copies of the story every time we go to update LOL.  Thanks for trying!
~Julie