Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Author Topic: Dictionary: Commonly Misspelled/Misused Words  (Read 3267 times)

Chaos

• Villiage Idiot
  • Almighty Ruler
  • Minion of Mayhem
  • Defy Reality
    • Absolute Chaos
Dictionary: Commonly Misspelled/Misused Words
« on: January 31, 2009, 05:44:48 PM »

Note: This is not intended to be a preachy article, but to help those (like me) who want a quick reference sheet for these common mistakes that spell-check frequently misses. (Erm...to that note add I am *not* the best with grammar, myself, so while I hope I caught all errors in the examples, don't count on it and call me on it if I'm wrong!!!)

Its: possessive adjective. Example: The house has shutters on its windows.
It's: contraction for "it is". Example: It's going to be a long day.

Than: used in comparison statements, or preference statements, or to suggest quantities beyond specified amounts. Examples: She is older than I. I would rather eat an apple than an orange. You have to read more than the first paragraph to understand the book.
Then: a time other than now, next in time or order, or suggesting a logical conclusion. Examples: He is busy until noon, but he will join us then. First we study, then we party. If I study hard, then I'll pass that test.

Their: possessive pronoun. Example: The book belongs to them. It is their book.
There: refers to a place. Example: My house is over there.
They're: contraction for "they are". Example: They're going to the mall.

To: preposition, or first part of the infinitive form of a verb. Example: They want to go to the park.
Too: also, very, or to an excessive extent or degree; beyond what is desirable, fitting, or right. Examples: I want to go, too. or She was too sick to travel.
Two: the number.

Your: possessive pronoun. It is in your best interest to know this.
You're: contraction for "you are". You're going to do really well on that test.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 06:03:24 PM by Chaos »

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Dictionary: Commonly Misspelled/Misused Words
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 06:26:53 PM »

Would of and would have are often misused.

"If I would of known..." is incorrect, "If I would have known..." is correct. Although it is not an official contraction, "Would've" is what confuses people.

~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Dictionary: Commonly Misspelled/Misused Words
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 09:01:25 PM »

I have to put this one... LOL

Loose and lose!

Loose is an adjective that means "free from anything that binds or restrains," "not fitting closely or tightly," etc., i.e. "I have a loose tooth," or "I prefer to wear loose clothing."

Lose is a verb that means "to misplace," "to fail to retain," etc., i.e. "I always manage to lose my keys," or "I don't want to lose you now," or "If I lose it all, there'd be nothing left to lose."

Some people write "loose" when they mean "lose" because "lose" breaks the rules of English phonics.  It sounds like it should have two Os because of the "oo" sound.  It doesn't.  If you're not sure, check the back of Millennium or Never Gone.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling