Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Author Topic: Short Story Presentations...  (Read 2967 times)

Chaos

• Villiage Idiot
  • Almighty Ruler
  • Minion of Mayhem
  • Defy Reality
    • Absolute Chaos
Short Story Presentations...
« on: February 21, 2009, 05:40:36 PM »

Okay, so I've been toying with an idea of creating a virtual library of selected short stories and have kind of a rough (okay a really rough) prototype that I want to test out and see if there'd be interest in a library of these--or if people just prefer plain old web-pages. LOL.

Anyhoo, as I said, this is really rough--the page turning doesn't work quite as easily as I'd hoped and the book itself is kind of plain (okay very plain and the print is a little bit too small on my screen...). But hopefully it give you an idea of what the library books would be like.

My Jinx Library Book Version

Assuming the kinks are worked out and the design is improved, would you be interested in seeing some of the short stories (BSB and other fandom) presented like this? Or is this probably just a time waster (which is okay, too lol mainly I was just trying to see if I could get the effect going so I will NOT be offended if this is indeed deemed 'eh; it's okay, but I probably would just read the regular fic pages')

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Short Story Presentations...
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 05:44:00 PM »

It drove me crazy to be honest. Using the mouse on my laptop and trying to turn the pages was frustrating, so I would probably resort to the regular layout.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 05:44:20 PM »

Wow!  It looks really cool, especially the turning pages.  The only problem I have with it is that the text is quite small... it's readable, but it takes more concentration than reading with the text size on the regular site or forum, which would probably keep me from reading in that format when I could just go read the same story more easily on the site.

It's a neat idea, though!  Worth playing around with some more if you're up for it.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 05:45:34 PM »

Btw, clicking at the bottom right-hand corners to turn the pages is a lot easier than clicking and dragging the page over!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Chaos

• Villiage Idiot
  • Almighty Ruler
  • Minion of Mayhem
  • Defy Reality
    • Absolute Chaos
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 05:45:49 PM »

It drove me crazy to be honest. Using the mouse on my laptop and trying to turn the pages was frustrating, so I would probably resort to the regular layout.
*nods* I hear ya, that's one of the things I am still working on to make it easier to turn the pages. Clicking on the corner works well, but not the flipping...

Chaos

• Villiage Idiot
  • Almighty Ruler
  • Minion of Mayhem
  • Defy Reality
    • Absolute Chaos
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 05:46:50 PM »

Wow!  It looks really cool, especially the turning pages.  The only problem I have with it is that the text is quite small... it's readable, but it takes more concentration than reading with the text size on the regular site or forum, which would probably keep me from reading in that format when I could just go read the same story more easily on the site.

It's a neat idea, though!  Worth playing around with some more if you're up for it.
Yeah I realized I made the text too small on my images, I'd definitely go at least a font size or two larger if I pursue this idea.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 06:03:34 PM »

*nods* I hear ya, that's one of the things I am still working on to make it easier to turn the pages. Clicking on the corner works well, but not the flipping...

I couldn't get the corner to flip the page :(
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Chaos

• Villiage Idiot
  • Almighty Ruler
  • Minion of Mayhem
  • Defy Reality
    • Absolute Chaos
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 06:04:10 PM »

Huh. Weird. Which browser do you use?

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 06:08:48 PM »

Firefox
~Maple Jellybean~

Chaos

• Villiage Idiot
  • Almighty Ruler
  • Minion of Mayhem
  • Defy Reality
    • Absolute Chaos
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 06:18:37 PM »

Firefox

I can't get it to not work, but I'll keep tinkering on that. Thanks for trying it out anyway! LOL.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 07:59:14 PM »

That was very clever Ash! I had no trouble with the page turning but the font was hard to read, it's a cute idea.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

LenniluvsBrian

• General Pandemonium
  • You gave me a smile that I will never forget.....
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 09:17:29 PM »

It's looks pretty neat. :)

~Lenni~
Concert Tickets: $270
3 BSB T-Shirts: $105
BSB Sweater: $85
Poster & Book: $30
Having Brian grab me & pull me close during sound check: PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Train Ticket: $14.95
Bus Fare: $3.50
Marilyn Denis Show Ticket: Free
Nick Carter singing to me on live television: PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 09:24:21 PM »

I think it's very cute and way creative. The page flipping worked fine for me (on Safari, I didn't try firefox), but I couldn't read it. Even if you fixed the font though, I'd probably still resort to the standard format. I'm way lazy and I like having all right there where I can just scrolling down.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

A-RokzStalker

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 05:44:26 PM »

Cool idea, Ash! Everything worked fine for me, and I can read it for the most part, but it COULD be better (with the visibility). :)
~ Amy.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 01:24:20 AM »

Really great idea, it's fab!, I had no trouble at all with the page turning.  But the words were a little too small to read comfortably, but if they were a little bigger it would be perfect.  I don't mind reading stories set out like that, or the usual way :)