Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Author Topic: Research Assistance/Assistants Board  (Read 6705 times)

Chaos

• Villiage Idiot
  • Almighty Ruler
  • Minion of Mayhem
  • Defy Reality
    • Absolute Chaos
Research Assistance/Assistants Board
« on: February 17, 2007, 08:12:32 AM »

As a firm believer in researching before (and while) writing, I thought it might be really handy to have a spot on the boards where you can ask those questions you need answered for your fic.

One of the most heavily repeated quotes about writing is to "write what you know". While that's often really good advice, there are times where you want to write a bit about something you don't really know a whole lot about. If you do your research well, you should still be able to pull this off.

And here's where your fellow writers can often be your biggest help. If you don't know a lot about a subject, odds are that someone else around here does. Or they can at the very least give you some good pointers on where to find the information you need.

This board is intended for questions not about writing, but about the subjects you're writing about.

Some examples:

Questions about canon characters. (ie. How many PhDs does Dr. Spencer Reid have on Criminal Minds?)

Questions about medical afflictions. (ie. One of my characters has dislocated one of his knees. I've never had that happen, how does it actually feel?)

Also can ask questions about locations (ie. What sort of identifying landmarks are there around Bemidji, Minnesota?) or law (It's legal to drink alcohol at what age in Germany?) or pretty much anything you can come up with.

I can't guarentee that anyone here can answer your questions, but fellow writers can be a great help for researching these questions!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Research Assistance/Assistants Board
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 12:06:57 PM »

Ooh, great idea!  I'm a firm believer in researching too, cause the whole "write what you know" concept is way too limiting for me.  Most of my life experiences aren't interesting enough to make a good story LOL, so I write mostly about stuff I haven't experienced, but with enough research, it works out pretty well.  It'll be nice to have a place to ask questions. :)

~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 04:00:59 PM »

Can I also point out that even Fantasy writers do research? ;D Most of Pbox is based on the legend of the Four Gods and the Warring States era of Japan. ;D

I think this is a great board! :)
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 05:19:26 PM »

Can I also point out that even Fantasy writers do research? ;D Most of Pbox is based on the legend of the Four Gods and the Warring States era of Japan. ;D

I think this is a great board! :)

Good point!  It's so true too.  I'm not extremely well-versed in fantasy, but I know for a fact that Star Wars incorporates the psychological archetypes (the hero, the old wise man, the dark villain, etc.), and Harry Potter is full of references to mythological creatures and characters, astrology, astronomy, etc.  George Lucas and JK Rowling didn't just make everything in their stories up; they did a lot of research too.  I'm sure it's the same way with a lot of other fantasy writers, and writers of all genres.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 08:05:42 PM »

aww this is a great idea for a board.

research is always a good thing, it's usually my one biggest weakness :(

i'm lazy, that's why I could never pull off a medical drama, it would come off very much like my parody chapter in 5 bsb in search of a plot! lmao
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 08:05:56 PM »

Good point!  It's so true too.  I'm not extremely well-versed in fantasy, but I know for a fact that Star Wars incorporates the psychological archetypes (the hero, the old wise man, the dark villain, etc.), and Harry Potter is full of references to mythological creatures and characters, astrology, astronomy, etc.  George Lucas and JK Rowling didn't just make everything in their stories up; they did a lot of research too.  I'm sure it's the same way with a lot of other fantasy writers, and writers of all genres.

Star Wars is also based on Feudal Japan and samurais. :)
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 10:57:49 PM »

i hate doing research! Maybe thats the real reason I always write romance... Not that I know a lot about it... I've been married for more than 5 years... the romance is long gone haha but it doesn't take much research either. :P
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 11:21:04 PM »

This is a great idea! So many times I'm asking my friends for random facts that I don't know. I'll prolly find something to use this board for!

DragonStar

• Major Disruption
  • Jeezy Chreezy™!
    • Write On My Soul - My Fic Site
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 12:26:54 AM »

I think we'll all end up using this board at some point! I know I will!
~Dragon*~

Icon by ___iicons on LJ

"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2007, 12:31:41 AM »

I almost used it tonight!  But then I just Googled LOL.  Figured I'd get my answer faster that way. :P  But it's nice to see so many people posting in this thread - I think it will be helpful!
~Julie

FrackstersGAgirl

• Fledgling
    • My Myspace
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 01:13:16 AM »

I've been googling alot for "Yes, I Will" I stepped way out of "write what you know" for this story.