Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Featured story of the Month for April 2009: A Different Man by Guitargurl  (Read 5676 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster

Happy April!

This month we will be discussing A Different Man. This one seems to be a favorite among many of you so i'm hoping you'll jump in and tell us why you think this story is so special. I'm sure guitargurl will come around and answer any questions you may have for her.

Here is the link to the story:

http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=5580

Enjoy! :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster

1) Tell us one thing about your story that no one else knows?

2) How long did it take you to write this entire story?

3) Give us a summary different from the one you have posted on AC, with a few more spoilers to make people tune in.

4) If you could cast this story as a movie who would play the main roles and why?

5) Have you ever thought of giving up on the story and if you did what made you continue to work on it?

6) What was your writing process? (Outline, make it up as you go along, the characters wrote it, I am Tonja and plagerized lol)

7) Who was your favorite character in this story and why?

8 ) You had to know this was coming, who was your least favorite?

9) Are all the boys in this one? If not why did you choose to exclude them?

10) If we like this story...then we'd love what story? (Could be by you or someone else) and obviously tell us why lol

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion

Not much happening in the featured thread this month, eh? 

Congrats, Guitargurl!  I started this story at one time...it is really long and I was sidetracked so I didn't come back to it.  I guess my question is what do I have to look forward to if I pick back up reading it???

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster

I know! I'm hoping she comes on here eventually. I left her a review to let her know she was being featured. LOL I haven't had to channel Oprah yet. :(

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website

Mare, in your review did you tell her about this thread? Maybe she doesn't know that being featured on AC means that you have a discussion thread on the boards?

I remember reading some of this story like waaaaaayyy back when. But for some reason I picked up in the middle somewhere and read like 20 chapters or something and then somehow never went back. But from what I remember it's a decently written Nick romance, and there was something about like a psycho ex that gave it a kind of suspense feel. I know it has like a gazillion reviews and it's in the top ten stories on AC, so it must be good. Maybe I'll give it a shot again and actually start from the beginning this time lol.

Congrats Guitar girl! Hopefully some of your readers will come on and talk about it here so we can get some discussion going.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster

I believe I did and she knows because she's been on the forum before and has seen these threads.

I might leave her another one on Monday after the holiday weekend.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster

I still haven't heard from our author this month but you guys who have read this story, can still chime in on what you love about it.

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion

I still haven't heard from our author this month but you guys who have read this story, can still chime in on what you love about it.

That stinks! 

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster

yes it does! Especially because I know she probably would have really enjoyed this lol

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder

I've not read this one, got so many I'm trying to keep up with at the moment, but I'll hopefully get to it some time :)

ForeverFrick

• Major Disruption

I've not read this one, got so many I'm trying to keep up with at the moment, but I'll hopefully get to it some time :)

Me niether, although I remember seeing it on the updates page.  LoL!  Looks interesting, though, so I think I'm going to read a few chapters right now. 

Guitargurl

• Fledgling

Here at last!

Sorry to everyone! I feel so bad about the fact that I haven't been on here to discuss "A Different Man" with all of you, but the month is not over yet! I am here now.

I've been pouring over whether or not to do the sequel and if so, how to set it up. I apologize again. I can't believe I lost touch just when I finally get a chance to discuss the story with the readers!

Thanks for your patience and thanks to Mare for the review on the story or I might still be oblivious to the whole thing.

I'd love to answer any questions you guys have and I'll start by filling out the form Mare posted.

Thanks again!

Guitargurl

Guitargurl

• Fledgling

1) Tell us one thing about your story that no one else knows?

Hmm... I wish I were Cole? Lol. Actually, the best answer I have for that is that this is the first and only fan fiction story that I have followed through to the end, and felt so emotionally connected to the characters. I have also made some great friends through the process of writing this story that I would have never made otherwise.

2) How long did it take you to write this entire story?

Wow, that's a good one. I started writing it in October of 2005 and finished it in January of 2009. It was a long and glorious process.

3) Give us a summary different from the one you have posted on AC, with a few more spoilers to make people tune in.

Hmm... to make things interesting, we'll go from Nick's point of view: When Nick is reunited with his childhood crush, he is determined not to miss out on an actual chance with her. Cole is on tour with the Backstreet Boys again, but the problem is, she's there to help someone else out just like she was all those years ago: Brian. Nick will have to prove to Cole that he's not the same teenage kid she once knew, and that he's man enough to help her deal with everything that Backstreet life will throw at them. When menacing notes begin to arrive and jealous fans threaten to destroy their relationship early on, will Nick and Cole have what it takes to push forward and stay together amid all the turmoil?  -Best I could do off the top of my head.

4) If you could cast this story as a movie who would play the main roles and why?

Nick as Nick, obviously. And Cole is harder, although I did name her after the actress Taylor Cole, who I think was fun, witty and gorgeous on a little known show called Summerland.

5) Have you ever thought of giving up on the story and if you did what made you continue to work on it?

Lol. Many times. Writer's block can be tough, and I think it was the hardest when I had my son and went 15 months without sleep. Literally. But I always knew in my heart that Nick and Cole deserved better, and that the readers deserved better, so I kept on pushing. Honestly, the therapeutic aspect of writing this story is something I miss already.

6) What was your writing process?

My initial idea came to me while sitting in a stuffy little cubicle at work one day. I have always been a huge fan of medical thrillers and tv shows (ER and the like) so I wanted to do a story about the BSB that could incorporate some of that. It's not easily done without taking the BSB out of their normal lives and altering their universe completely, which just isn't something I wanted to do. Then the idea came to me that I could have a nurse who helped Brian out in the past after his surgery come back into play. From there I just sort of decided to put myself in Cole's shoes and see how she would feel about being thrown into the whirlwind that is Backstreet land and then quite suddenly taken out once Brian was doing well enough. It would be hard for any of us, wouldn't it? Then you add the element of Nick into things and learn that he was majorly crushing on Cole the entire time, and now all these years later she's backstage and has the chance to come on the road with him again. That would be crazy for Nick, right? I didn't really use an outline, though I had a fairly good idea of the entire plot in my head from the beginning. I wrote when I had 15 spare minutes here or there so it wasn't as organized as it probably should have been in retrospect, but I had an end goal and lots of drama in between to make it interesting.

7) Who was your favorite character in this story and why?

I can't pick just one! Especially since there were multiple points of view happening here. Instead, I'll just explain why I loved a few of them. Fair enough?

-Nick, because it was fun to write him with his heart on his sleeve a little. He isn't perfect, but he is a caring person who I think has struggled with his ability to trust and love deeply (romatically, that is.) It was a great experience to see through his eyes in this story and try to deal with everything that's going on. I think he's easier to relate to that way. And he has admitted in interviews that he likes to spoil girls, so I had fun with that aspect of his personality. He really is a romantic.
-Cole was fun because she's a strong, sexy, independent woman who does just fine on her own in the real world. Her life only gets turned upside when the Backstreet enter the picture, leave, and then enter again. Lol. Cole has had a successful career and can take care of herself, which is one of the reasons Nick is so attracted to her in the first place. She's also very motherly to the Boys, which is something they probably need quite often. She is able to look past the kid Nick that she once knew, and see the man that he has become and respect him that way. She's a pretty good role-model honestly. I love Cole. I miss her already.

8 ) You had to know this was coming, who was your least favorite?

Hmm... this one is probably fairly obvious with this story. Michelle. She's crazy! Anyone who would take a knife to Nick is absolutely certifiable, but she made for some interesting plot twists.

9) Are all the boys in this one? If not why did you choose to exclude them?

Definitely. This story was about all of the Boys, although it focused mainly on Nick. Brian is a big part of the story because he and Cole have a history together after she took care of him year ago. AJ and Cole became great friends in the past and their relationship picks back up right where it left off. I love all the guys.

10) If we like this story...then we'd love what story?

Oreos for Breakfast comes to mind. It's been a few years since I read it, but I'm sure I can find the website for it somewhere. I'll come back and post it when I find it. Lots of Nick, a girl in a band that he dates, and lots of drama and touring. It's lots of fun. It's more graphic than "A Different Man" but some people enjoy that.

Guitargurl

• Fledgling

Cabybakes,

To answer your question:

This story just gets better as it goes. The further Nick and Cole got into their relationship, the more I knew they could survive so I started throwing proverbial rocks at them. Lol. The beginning of the story is fun, but it gets great toward the middle and I absolutely loved the ending. I put a lot of work into the story to make it the best I could. I'm sure you won't be disappointed if you pick it back up.

Guitargurl

• Fledgling

Sequel Talk:

When I finished "A Different Man" in January, I was set on doing a sequel for it. I even started writing the sequel, and then realized that I needed to time things a little different and plot things out different in order for it to work. If you want to read the 4 chapters that got cut in order for the necessary changes to be made, you can see them here in the forums under Author Inquisition - Behind The Scenes. Those chapters can still be enjoyed, its just that they take place before the actual sequel would begin.

I struggled with the sequel for a while before deciding that I might just have to wait a little longer before I start posting it. I've named it "Unexpected Things", which I'm sure you all recognize as a line out of 'Unsuspecting Sunday Afternoon'.

I haven't given up on it, I'm just trying to organize my thoughts and make sure that I write the best possible sequel that I can. I love the characters and miss them dearly, but the time isn't quite right just yet for me to write this. It may even be that hearing the new album that is due out (hopefully sooner rather than later) will help get me going again with the characters. I don't want to wait too long, don't get me wrong.

I guess now is a good time to ask : Do you guys actually want a sequel? I'd love your thoughts on this. And how would you feel about a sequel that's just as detailed and involved, but maybe not as lengthy as the original? (I'm not ashamed to admit it, I was quite long winded with the first. Lol.) If that's what I decide to do, will that still be good for you guys as readers?

Anyway, I hope you guys realize I'm here and willing to talk about this. I wish I would have logged on sooner this month! Still sorry about that!

Guitargurl

Pages: [1] 2