Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Author Topic: The June Challenge  (Read 4021 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
The June Challenge
« on: June 01, 2009, 11:28:37 AM »

The fiction in a flash challenge.

As of late there has been so much debate about chapter length and being overly wordy when it comes to descriptions, that I thought a nice flash fiction challenge would be great for June.

What is flash fiction? Well, for those of you who don't know, it's a very short story.

I think the true challenge for people is trying to figure out when enough is enough. You don't need to use 10,000 words to describe what Nick's face looks like or how a piece of cake tasted. It's just easier to use 10,000 words. The real challenge is to take those emotions and feelings and try your best to compact them into a small amount of words.

So, here is your challenge...if you choose to accept it lol

Pick one of the scenerios below and create a short story about it.

Keep it to 1,500 or less. (Usually flash fiction is less than 1,000)

Remember, a story needs a begining, middle and end. We're not talking about a scene that goes nowhere.

This can be any genre or any fandom or even original fiction, doesn't really matter.

Scenerio #1 - Someone gets lost.

Scenerio #2 - Someone is waiting in line for something

Scenerio #3 - Someone has just died

Scenerio #4 - Someone is very angry about something

Scenerio #5 - Someone is moving

Because these stories are so short, I hope you guys try more than one. Heck, I hope you at least try one especially if you are someone who feels like they need help in this area.

They are a lot of fun to do but it's also hard as hell lol

If you really want to challenge yourself try 700 words!

Good luck and have fun! :)

No banners!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 09:56:14 PM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Chaos

• Villiage Idiot
  • Almighty Ruler
  • Minion of Mayhem
  • Defy Reality
    • Absolute Chaos
Re: The June Challenge
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 10:13:15 AM »

My response:

Boy Meets Girl

Got ideas for at least one other one, have a whole month to find the time...hmm.  ;D

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 12:52:17 PM »

~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 12:55:56 PM »

YAY!! Good job you guys!

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 04:21:17 PM »

mers

• Captain of Commotion
  • the other M
    • Unveiled Thoughts
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 10:59:32 AM »

Here's mine http://www.absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9740  ;D <--- i love this dude and his teeth sparkling self!
What succor, what consolation is there in truth, compared to a story? What good is truth, at midnight, in the dark, when the wind is roaring like a bear in the chimney? What you need are the plump comforts of a story. Th soothing, rocking safety of a lie - Vida Winter

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 11:58:43 AM »

Yay! Another one! Nicely done! I like the sparkling teeth too. He reminds me of Howie for some reason lol

Chaos

• Villiage Idiot
  • Almighty Ruler
  • Minion of Mayhem
  • Defy Reality
    • Absolute Chaos
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 09:22:21 PM »

And my second response:

Geek

It's another NCIS one, and well...this one probably won't really work for anyone not familiar with the characters Tim McGee and Tony DiNozzo, but hey...

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 09:24:47 PM »

Wow you go! :)

I just saw this posted when I removed yet another too big banner from the site!

Chaos

• Villiage Idiot
  • Almighty Ruler
  • Minion of Mayhem
  • Defy Reality
    • Absolute Chaos
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 09:27:28 PM »

D'oh! See now that's what I've been forgetting to do. Make banners for my challenge fics! You forgot to make that a rule this time *tsks*. (Of course since the pic is worth 1000 words, would that mean I could only write 500 for the story? Eeps...)  ;D

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 09:55:39 PM »

I know, but I modified lol

Kentuckychickrk

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 02:10:44 PM »

-- Rachel --

*And in that line now was a whiskered old man, with a linen cap and a crooked nose, who waited in a place called the Stardust Band Shell to share his part of the secret of Heaven; that each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one.*
-- Mitch Album