Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Author Topic: which way to go with a story  (Read 2080 times)

fracktrain

which way to go with a story
« on: June 25, 2009, 05:58:00 AM »

I didn't know what board to put this on,I don't even know if I asked this before. lol

If you have so many ideas for which way to go in a story,how do you pick what you want to use?

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: which way to go with a story
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 10:29:14 AM »

It might help you to plan each of them out on paper (or on Word; that's what I do) and then look at them again.  Which one would work out best for your story?  Which one do you like best?  Which one makes most sense for what your story is really about?  Hopefully one will jump out at you.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 11:29:38 AM »

^

I agree with Julie...or even try brainstorming all of your ideas and then putting them into an outline.  Sometimes you can include multiple ideas in a story.  I am a huge advocate of outlining, I don't work without one!  Sure, I make changes and tweek it constantly, but I can't write without direction or a plan in mind. 

fracktrain

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 11:44:31 AM »

Thanks for the advice.  :)

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 12:18:34 PM »

Yep I agree with outlining out both ideas and seeing which fits best.  If you're still unsure it might also help to just start writing and see where the characters take you.  I know that might sound kinda weird as well - you're the one who's writing them, but you might be surprised.  Sometimes as I'm writing things just start to flow and fit together on their own.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 12:52:57 PM »

^
So true, Steph.  Another good thing to have is a good beta that understands your characters and where you are trying to go and is not afraid to shoot your ideas down!

fracktrain

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 04:39:07 PM »

That's one thing I need lol ^

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 04:30:23 PM »

Oh Yeah having a beta or a couple is always fun. Kristal and I always talk about our ideas and we give each other honest opinions. Or people always ask me what I think of their ideas...not only is it helpful, but fun.