Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Featured Story for the month of August 2009 - Someone's Miracle  (Read 8252 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster

Happy August and last month of summer!  :-[

This month we will be discussing Someone's Miracle by Kentuckychickr k. This one seems to be a favorite of many of you so I hope you guys come in and ask our Kentucky chick some questions about her story and give her some feedback.

This is the link to the story: http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9135

:) Enjoy!!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Featured Story for the month of August 2009 - Someone's Miracle
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 07:11:40 AM »

1) Tell us one thing about your story that no one else knows?

2) How long did it take you to write this entire story?

3) Give us a summary different from the one you have posted on AC, with a few more spoilers to make people tune in.

4) If you could cast this story as a movie who would play the main roles and why?

5) Have you ever thought of giving up on the story and if you did what made you continue to work on it?

6) What was your writing process? (Outline, make it up as you go along, the characters wrote it, I am Tonja and plagerized lol)

7) Who was your favorite character in this story and why?

8 ) You had to know this was coming, who was your least favorite?

9) Are all the boys in this one? If not why did you choose to exclude them?

10) If we like this story...then we'd love what story? (Could be by you or someone else) and obviously tell us why lol 
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Kentuckychickrk

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 02:18:32 PM »

Aw, thanks everyone!!  I'm so proud of this story so I'm glad to know that it's well received  :)

To answer Mare's survey questions --

1) Tell us one thing about your story that no one else knows.
    This story was inspired by a class I took during college on death and grief for my major.  The class was depressing at times, but it was also incredibly heartwarming.  Our teacher asked several indiviudals to come speak and one of those individuals was the mother of an 18-year-old boy who died in a horrible accident.  She talked about the decision to donate his organs and how it has become her life to spread the word on organ donation.  She herself even ended up donating a kidney to a member of her church.

2) About 3 months... but I thought the story out for a while before I started writing it so all told probably 5-6 months.

3) While one young man waits for a miracle, a father makes the most painful decision of his life.  What would you do if your biggest loss could be someone else's miracle?  A life lost... A life saved.  Will she become someone's miracle?

4) Hm... that's a tough one...  Obviously the guys and Aaron would play themselves.  I think someone like Christopher Meloni (Law & Order) would make a good Mark Grant and Lauren could be played by any young girl with green eyes and long hair.

5) This was one story that I actually never debated quitting.  I wanted to see it through.  I did have moments where I struggled with what would happen next or if I would make it a long, drawn out tale... but I like it as is, short and sweet.  I think adding more would have taken away from what I wanted to portray.

6) lol at the Tonja thing!  I outlined parts and others I just made up as I went along. 

7) My favorite character in the story and the one I feel I focused on most was Mark Grant and his journey in letting go.  He's the "main" character of the story I would say and I really wanted to show his relationship with Lauren and how that made it both more difficult and also less difficult to make such a gutwrenching decision.

8) hm... really no one.  I'm not sure Aaron and Nick's sisters were really necessary characters, but I wanted to add a little bit of humor to an otherwise pretty depressing story, so I popped them in there.

9) All but Kevin... and he's just not there because he's no longer in the band.  I'm sure he would have been there otherwise  ;)

10)  Hmm...  I think anyone who likes this story would also like stories like the Swollen Issues series by Carrie or the Broken series by Julie (RokofAges75)

-- Rachel --

*And in that line now was a whiskered old man, with a linen cap and a crooked nose, who waited in a place called the Stardust Band Shell to share his part of the secret of Heaven; that each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one.*
-- Mitch Album

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 03:03:19 PM »

Aww, Yay! I'm glad this one got picked! It's one of my all-time favorite AC stories! Congrats hun, you totally deserve it.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

Kentuckychickrk

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 11:10:15 PM »

Aww, Yay! I'm glad this one got picked! It's one of my all-time favorite AC stories! Congrats hun, you totally deserve it.

Thank you so much Kelly!  I'm glad you enjoyed this story, it was definitely one of my favorites to write!  :)
-- Rachel --

*And in that line now was a whiskered old man, with a linen cap and a crooked nose, who waited in a place called the Stardust Band Shell to share his part of the secret of Heaven; that each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one.*
-- Mitch Album

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 12:01:53 AM »

Congrats Rachel!

I actually read this story for the Felix Awards a few months ago, and I couldn't review then because we were told not to (weren't supposed to give it away!), but I can say now that I really enjoyed it!!

You know this kind of story is my cup of tea anyway, but I think because I've read SO many stories in the drama/tearjerker genre, I've gotten kind of picky about them, and it takes a good writer with the right characters and situations to really affect me.  That said, you put me in TEARS with this story, and while I am a crier at movies and whatnot, it had been a long time since I'd read a fanfic that made me cry - and wasn't one I'd read before and cried at before LOL.  Even more impressive considering that, although this is a Bsb fanfic, Nick is more of a bystander, an observer, in the story - the real drama centers around Aaron and your original characters.  I wasn't crying for Nick or any other Backstreet Boy; I was crying for those characters that you MADE me care about.  So huge kudos for that!!

Out of all the new (to me) stories I read for Felix, this was definitely one of the highlights for me.  I read it in one sitting, and I found it to be just a really nice, touching, tearjerkering, refreshing story.  Congrats again on being the author of the month, and I'm glad this was the story chosen! :)
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Kentuckychickrk

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 01:36:43 PM »

Congrats Rachel!

I actually read this story for the Felix Awards a few months ago, and I couldn't review then because we were told not to (weren't supposed to give it away!), but I can say now that I really enjoyed it!!

You know this kind of story is my cup of tea anyway, but I think because I've read SO many stories in the drama/tearjerker genre, I've gotten kind of picky about them, and it takes a good writer with the right characters and situations to really affect me.  That said, you put me in TEARS with this story, and while I am a crier at movies and whatnot, it had been a long time since I'd read a fanfic that made me cry - and wasn't one I'd read before and cried at before LOL.  Even more impressive considering that, although this is a Bsb fanfic, Nick is more of a bystander, an observer, in the story - the real drama centers around Aaron and your original characters.  I wasn't crying for Nick or any other Backstreet Boy; I was crying for those characters that you MADE me care about.  So huge kudos for that!!

Out of all the new (to me) stories I read for Felix, this was definitely one of the highlights for me.  I read it in one sitting, and I found it to be just a really nice, touching, tearjerkering, refreshing story.  Congrats again on being the author of the month, and I'm glad this was the story chosen! :)

Thank you Julie!  It means so much to me to have won the Felix for this story  :)

And seriously, coming from other authors like you and Kelly whose stories I truly love, I really do appreciate that y'all (there's that Kentucky in me!) enjoyed it!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 09:46:57 PM by Kentuckychickrk »
-- Rachel --

-- Mitch Album

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 07:41:21 PM »

Well, we really really did. (Or at least I did anyway.) Like Julie, I read this story in one sitting and cried in several places. It just felt like a breath of fresh air to me. Really, wonderful story! And I'm so glad it won. You deserve it! 
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

Steph

• Minion of Mayhem
  • Trying to forget; the pain's still there.
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 12:45:22 PM »

Congratulation s, Rach!  ;D

Dean & Sam Winchester.
Hunters. Protectors. Survivors. Family.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 06:30:27 PM »

What made you chose the characters you did for this story? Aaron, the Law and Order people etc...

Kentuckychickrk

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 08:58:29 PM »

What made you chose the characters you did for this story? Aaron, the Law and Order people etc...

As far as Mark and Lauren, their characters were as simple as choosing names (Mark in memory of a young man who gave the gift of organ donation and Lauren was just a name that I liked).

At first I thought about making Nick the character who would be receiving the liver, but I decided to go with Aaron instead (and I'm glad that I did) so that I could show the perspective of the other family though Nick and because I really wanted to have a donor close in age to the recipient character.

There is one part in the story where I use quotes from Grey's Anatomy and that is a little shout out to a close friend who, after being in the hospital very sick for a little while stated that real life is not like Grey's Anatomy... there are no hot female interns.   :P

The Law and Order guy is just the guy that I thought would play a good Mark Grant in a movie... lol.
-- Rachel --

-- Mitch Album

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 09:11:44 PM »

Oh lol sorry about that. I got all confused with the Law and Order thing.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 09:22:44 PM »

At first I thought about making Nick the character who would be receiving the liver, but I decided to go with Aaron instead (and I'm glad that I did) so that I could show the perspective of the other family though Nick and because I really wanted to have a donor close in age to the recipient character.

I was gonna ask you that question too, why you chose Aaron instead of Nick or one of the other guys, so I'm glad you mentioned that.  I think it works well the way you did it.  I'm not an Aaron fan, but because it was from Nick's perspective, and you showed their brotherly bond, I felt for both Nick and Aaron.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 03:58:15 PM »

Since this is such a heavy topic, have you ever found yourself getting chocked up or having to step away from writing this when it gets too intense?

Kentuckychickrk

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 10:59:44 PM »

Since this is such a heavy topic, have you ever found yourself getting chocked up or having to step away from writing this when it gets too intense?

To a point, yes.  I did get teary eyed a few times because it brought back memories of the conversations from class (during which a dry eye could not be found in our class of 45 people), and there were a few times while writing the story where I thought about giving up because it just seemed too depressing. 

Of course, it is depressing.  But it's also a fact of life, one that families deal with, in reality, on a regular basis.  So in the end I decided to continue the story, not only because it's something I am passionate about, but also because it's one of those stories that needs to be told because regardless of whether or not the characters are real or are based on real individuals, the situation definitely is as real as it gets.
-- Rachel --

-- Mitch Album
Pages: [1] 2