Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Featured Story for the month of August 2009 - Someone's Miracle  (Read 8240 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Featured Story for the month of August 2009 - Someone's Miracle
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2009, 07:24:15 PM »

How long do you wait to post a chapter after you write it? Do you find you post it the same day or do you sit on a it for a few days just in case you want to change something? Also, do you have anyone read it before you post it or bounce your ideas off of anyone?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Kentuckychickrk

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2009, 10:29:24 AM »

How long do you wait to post a chapter after you write it? Do you find you post it the same day or do you sit on a it for a few days just in case you want to change something? Also, do you have anyone read it before you post it or bounce your ideas off of anyone?

Most of the chapters of this story were up within days of each other simply because I'd already written a lot of it before I began posting it.  I think the more difficult chapters towards the end where I knew where I wanted to go but not exactly how I wanted to get there took a little bit longer.

I don't actually share my stories with anyone before I submit them here and I haven't bounced my ideas off anyone at this point, though I may in the future.  I do sometimes post on the fanclub forum as well, but usually at the same time. 
-- Rachel --

*And in that line now was a whiskered old man, with a linen cap and a crooked nose, who waited in a place called the Stardust Band Shell to share his part of the secret of Heaven; that each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one.*
-- Mitch Album

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2009, 11:13:19 AM »

How much research did you do concerning organ donation and the medical side of things etc... and would you consider writing another story similar in nature to this one ever again? Normally i'd ask if you ever thought about a sequel but i'm not sure if this is a sequel type story?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Kentuckychickrk

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2009, 11:59:57 PM »

How much research did you do concerning organ donation and the medical side of things etc... and would you consider writing another story similar in nature to this one ever again? Normally i'd ask if you ever thought about a sequel but i'm not sure if this is a sequel type story?

Not an extreme amount about the organ donations specifically, but some.  A lot of the information came directly from the speakers we had in our death and grief class.  I distinctly remembered the one mother discussing how the only information they were allowed to know for years about who would receive their sons organs were the ages and genders of the recipients and vice versa.  I also remember her talking about the first time she met the man who received her son's heart.

The medical information I did quite a bit of research on.  I'd narrowed it down to kidney and liver and after researching some more I decided on the liver.  I researched the symptoms, medications and plausible causes because I didn't want to give Aaron a condition that would be highly unlikely and I wanted the symptoms to fit and in the end this was also why I never gave a distinct diagnosis other than "liver failure" for Aaron -- because there are many diseases and illnesses that can lead to liver failure in otherwise healthy individuals.

I would definitely consider writing another story along these lines, though not likely a fanfic, at least not in this fandom as I feel that would be overkill.  It really is a subject matter that is touching and interesting and one that I would enjoy reading a story about as well... so hey, if anyone wants to give it a go... lol.   ;)
-- Rachel --

*And in that line now was a whiskered old man, with a linen cap and a crooked nose, who waited in a place called the Stardust Band Shell to share his part of the secret of Heaven; that each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one.*
-- Mitch Album

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2009, 03:12:39 AM »

I think it's a really interesting topic too.  It has always kind of fascinated me, because it's both tragic and miraculous at the same time... sad because it has to involve a person's death, but so awesome that others can be given a new chance at life from that person's organs.  And the way that the families of both can become connected that way is really interesting too.  I have always enjoyed reading about this kind of stuff, and writing it too.  Now that I think about it, I actually have three fanfics that involve organ donation.  Way to recycle storylines! LOL  I guess that shows that it's a subject worth writing about though.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Kentuckychickrk

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2009, 11:08:05 AM »

I think it's a really interesting topic too.  It has always kind of fascinated me, because it's both tragic and miraculous at the same time... sad because it has to involve a person's death, but so awesome that others can be given a new chance at life from that person's organs.  And the way that the families of both can become connected that way is really interesting too.  I have always enjoyed reading about this kind of stuff, and writing it too.  Now that I think about it, I actually have three fanfics that involve organ donation.  Way to recycle storylines! LOL  I guess that shows that it's a subject worth writing about though.

It definitely it  :)
I'm looking forward to reading more from Secrets of the Heart!  I just noticed the new(er?) not sure when you posted it, but clearly I missed it, update!  I'll have to read up when I get back from shopping later!
-- Rachel --

-- Mitch Album

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2009, 11:48:14 AM »

It definitely it  :)
I'm looking forward to reading more from Secrets of the Heart!  I just noticed the new(er?) not sure when you posted it, but clearly I missed it, update!  I'll have to read up when I get back from shopping later!

Thanks!  I just posted them last week... Monday, I think?  No hurry, cause I probably won't have more up for awhile... too much other stuff going on right now, with school getting ready to start.  You're smart for writing ahead and not posting until you have most of it written, like you did with this story.  Then the readers aren't left hanging so long.  I wish I had more willpower LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Kentuckychickrk

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2009, 03:00:44 PM »

You're smart for writing ahead and not posting until you have most of it written, like you did with this story.  Then the readers aren't left hanging so long.  I wish I had more willpower LOL.

Yep... cause I never ever leave my readers hanging... nooope... never... er...  :bateyes:
-- Rachel --

-- Mitch Album

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2009, 09:15:47 PM »

What was your favorite chapter to write? And do you have any favorite lines that stuck in your head after you wrote them?

Kentuckychickrk

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2009, 11:05:28 AM »

What was your favorite chapter to write? And do you have any favorite lines that stuck in your head after you wrote them?

I think my favorite chapter -- and probably the most difficult for me to write was Chapter 8 -- the chapter where Mark Lauren's body is brought back to her room after surgery and Mark gets to say goodbye.  I think it's my favorite simply because here's this father who's a hero in my mind, having given the ultimate gift to total strangers by agreeing to donate his daughter's organs, and now he's having to face the reality that she's gone, and he's having to say goobye.  And that to me is insanely powerful.    :'(

My favorite line - from that chapter actually, is when he sang to her for the last time...
His words were soft, his voice not quite perfect, but the intent with which he sang his song was absolutely beautiful.  He held her hand and sang her soul right out of her body and up into the heavens where he hoped that she could hear his voice... where he hoped she knew he loved her.
-- Rachel --

-- Mitch Album

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2009, 07:52:10 PM »

Considering how heavy this story is, is there any place in it, where you offer some comic relief? And if so, which character do you feel helps to lighten the mood?

Kentuckychickrk

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2009, 11:08:28 AM »

Considering how heavy this story is, is there any place in it, where you offer some comic relief? And if so, which character do you feel helps to lighten the mood?

I tried to offer some comic relief in the moments with Nick and Aaron - because knowing their relationship I'm sure even in those more serious moments something goofy would occur.  I think Aaron was probably the best at lightening the mood and honestly in many situations where I've gone to the hospital to visit teens/children who are ill, this is the exact case... they are the ones who are cracking the jokes and lightening the mood so that everyone else follows suit.
-- Rachel --

-- Mitch Album

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2009, 10:40:28 PM »

You are so right about that. They always seem the strongest in those situations.

OKay guys, we are already nearing the end of the month so any last minute questions or thoughts for Rachel would be greatly appreciated. And of course if there's anything you want to say about your story in general, now would be a great time! :)

Kentuckychickrk

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2009, 09:47:40 AM »

You are so right about that. They always seem the strongest in those situations.

OKay guys, we are already nearing the end of the month so any last minute questions or thoughts for Rachel would be greatly appreciated. And of course if there's anything you want to say about your story in general, now would be a great time! :)

Not really -- just thank you so much for featuring it as the story of the month!  And thanks to everyone who has read and commented and supported the story.  And to those who voted for it in the Felix awards.

I'm glad that someone enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it!  :)
-- Rachel --

-- Mitch Album
Pages: 1 [2]