Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Featured story for March 2007 - Love of A Child  (Read 12943 times)

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
Featured story for March 2007 - Love of A Child
« on: March 01, 2007, 01:43:52 PM »

At first I thought I should choose a story for this month that was completed. Thinking about it I then realized that not only should we make people aware of completed works, but it's also a good way of exposing everyone to in-progress fics, to get more fans on the bandwagon.

Saying that I have chosen Love of A Child by shrinkingviolet and Anastacia.

There haven't been a whole lot of fics where I want to beg for more updates, but this one is definitely one of them. The characters are real, the plot is original but still believable, and it's easy to imagine every chapter as if it were a movie running inside my head. All points that for me make the perfect fic.

So, I give you the first thirty chapters of Love of A Child, please read, enjoy, and discuss. And maybe, you'll come back for more :)

http://accidentalchaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=7970
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Steph

• Minion of Mayhem
  • Trying to forget; the pain's still there.
    • Facebook
Re: Featured story for March 2007 - Love of A Child
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 08:52:26 PM »

Congrats to my CT and her partner in crime, shrinkingviole t!

Dean & Sam Winchester.
Hunters. Protectors. Survivors. Family.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 06:50:54 PM »

aww congrats ladies!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 03:14:32 AM »

Yay Ana Banana and Josie! :)
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

LenniluvsBrian

• General Pandemonium
  • You gave me a smile that I will never forget.....
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 10:08:18 PM »

Whoot! Definitely one of my fave fics! I don't hafta read the whole thing, as I'm completely caught up. Though, I did read the one chapter twice! Lol.

~Lenni~
Concert Tickets: $270
3 BSB T-Shirts: $105
BSB Sweater: $85
Poster & Book: $30
Having Brian grab me & pull me close during sound check: PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Train Ticket: $14.95
Bus Fare: $3.50
Marilyn Denis Show Ticket: Free
Nick Carter singing to me on live television: PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 06:55:39 AM »

Sometimes I will accidently reread chapters and not even notice because I'm still so into it lol
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Nijntje

• Minion of Mayhem
  • Some love is not really love at all..
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 09:26:37 AM »

Congrats ladies! It's always a great thing when two writers collaborate and you don't notice it while reading..  I must say this is not a story for me.. I read a few chapters and didn't like some aspects of it. I DO like how the nurse (forgot her name lol) interacts with Baylee and vice versa though.
Not every dream is supposed to come true
Some words are best unsaid
Some love is not really love at all
I keep everything I shared with you
And that's enough.. there's us..

Anastacia

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 12:13:37 AM »

Congrats ladies! It's always a great thing when two writers collaborate and you don't notice it while reading..  I must say this is not a story for me.. I read a few chapters and didn't like some aspects of it. I DO like how the nurse (forgot her name lol) interacts with Baylee and vice versa though.

So, I just realized that this topic was reserved for my collab... *is sheepish* But, when I read what you posted, Nijtje... I guess I just have to ask, what aspects didn't you like?

Nijntje

• Minion of Mayhem
  • Some love is not really love at all..
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 01:04:44 PM »

So, I just realized that this topic was reserved for my collab... *is sheepish* But, when I read what you posted, Nijtje... I guess I just have to ask, what aspects didn't you like?

Could you ask a Dutch girl a more difficult question?  ;D
Well, you see, I don't mind sharing that with you, BUT I don't want to hurt someone's feelings, cause I know a story is SO important to its author(s)..  :-\
So, here goes nothing.. and please DON'T throw rocks at me..  :-* I'll mostly take excerpts from the first chapter as an example.. And I apologize if I seem to be very harsh in my judgement, that's mostly because I have trouble expressing myself in English sometimes..

"George, Daddy," Baylee interrupted softly, reaching for the stuffed monkey at the foot of his hospital bed. As his father leaned forward to grasp it, he eyed Alana warily. "'Lana's got big boob--"

Remarks like this. I KNOW kids say the most embarrassing things, but I just can't see a three year old who's not feeling all that well say stuff like that. I mean, I'm not a child expert, but I have been around kids a lot, and my mom practically raised a girl whom she took care of when her parents were at work from the time she was six weeks to a 7 year old. But again, maybe some kids would do that, but I just cannot picture it.

"I've seen your uncles in that band, Baylee. I think I'd take them to a backseat…" Alana playfully continued, though the joke was for his father more so than the child.

She has just met Brian and already says stuff like this, in FRONT of a 3-year-old. Bad, bad nurse  :-[ I mean, it's not that I can't see that happen, I'm just.. well, disgusted isn't the right word.. not even close, but I can't come up with a better word. I'm like "Come ON! What are you (and by that I mean the nurse), 15 years old? Please stay professional.. . especially in front of the kid, even if he doesn't really know what you mean.."
But maybe that's just the psychologist inside of me talking..

Even Brian found himself gawking as she tossed her long locks into a high ponytail. "-She's stripping…" "Dude, you mind not standing beside me right now? Your hard on is sticking in my hip," Nick hissed, stepping aside.

______________ _____

"And get off me, dude. Your dick's poking me in the spine!"

"It is not!" Brian scoffed, though he blushed nonetheless as he slid from Nick's back, carefully observing the situation.

Now that sort of comments I just don't like to read about (neither in fanfiction or 'normal' fiction). So that has nothing to do with just your story, but every fic I read.. I mean, I KNOW it happens, I KNOW guys say these kind of things to each other, but I don't wanna read about it..  ;) (Which is kinda weird by the way, cause in real life conversations, I'm definitely NOT a prude..  :-[ )

Again, I HOPE I didn't offend you two.. cause I do like the writing-style and the way Alana handles Baylee (like with the IV), it's just some aspects I don't like..

*ducks under a table to avoid all the rocks that are thrown at her*  :-\

Not every dream is supposed to come true
Some words are best unsaid
Some love is not really love at all
I keep everything I shared with you
And that's enough.. there's us..

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 01:04:30 PM »

Ok, I'm glad to see that someone finally left some comments for this story ;D everyone said so many wonderful things about Ground Zero last month but we've all been kind of quiet on this one... Let's see if I can get the conversation going on it....

First off, congrats on being picked! I hadn't read the story before it was featured and I've tried to get to it as much as I can this month.

I can totally understand Nijntje's comments, but like she said, that is a personal taste and I'd bet there are a lot of people out there that do like it.  Personally I have two children who are just entering that parrot phase where they really do say everything they hear and they have both busted me on more than one occasion so I have no problem with Baylee being that way. It feels natural to me. I do agree however, that Alana may have been a little too forward right from the get go. But, again that's personal taste. I also realize that things like that is what maks Alana, Alana. It's part of her personality and there really are people out there that can be like that. Lord knows I'm not one of them but maybe thats why I enjoy reading about them.

What I like about this story is the way I can really visualize each scene as it's played out. You ladies do a great job of sucking me into your world with the writing and I feel like I'm right there with the characters. I also love the dynamics. There is a lot of humor, I'm constantly laughing out loud when I read it. But then there is also the sadness and the drama and the frustration too. I think that's very improtant, especially in a character driven story like this.

I'll admit I'm really plot driven and have a hard time keeping intrest in a story that I can't necessarily visualize the overall arc of the story and I do have a hard time finishing your stories. I read "Bring Me To Life" and had the same feelings about it. The writing itself I feel is very good and I loved the characters and enjoyed reading the scenes but I never did finish it. I think when dealing with romance (and obviously there's a lot more than just romance involved here) but I personally need to be kept dangling a little every chapter.

This story to me (as well as "Bring Me To  Life") doesn't seem to have any particular goal. I can't visualize where it's going or where the ending is. It's like we're just watching the characters lives unfold and seeing how they react to it. I'm not saying thats a bad thing and I really hope I'm not comming across as mean or harsh because I really am enjoying the story  ;D After all most "best Picture" winners tend to be character studies rather than plot driven. I'm just saying that for me I need a LOT of motivation to keep reading.

An easy way to do that is to keep the love intrests from being together. I think that's why I love "A Write Kind Of Love" so much by Gravity. At the end of every chapter I find myself rooting for the characters. It's hard for me to root for characters that are already getting what they want by chapter two when things just seem to fall into place. I still enjoy seeing them delve into the relationship world, it just doesn't keep me dying to see what happens next, ya know?

Ok so I don't know if I just made any sense at all and I really REALLY hope I didn't hurt any feelings because this is a wonderful piece and I think everyone should at least give it a chance. The writing is some of the better stuff out there and if it is your particular taste then I know you will just fall in love with it.

Congrats again ladies!!! 
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

mers

• Captain of Commotion
  • the other M
    • Unveiled Thoughts
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 09:21:53 PM »

Congrats girls for being picked :D
What succor, what consolation is there in truth, compared to a story? What good is truth, at midnight, in the dark, when the wind is roaring like a bear in the chimney? What you need are the plump comforts of a story. Th soothing, rocking safety of a lie - Vida Winter

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 09:51:27 PM »

Yay! I'm glad to see people discussing this fic and it's always extra great when the authors are part of the forum.

When I had my fanfic of the month club I used to write interviews for the authors so I thought i'd ask you some of those questions now. :)

~It's hard to write a collaboration, what made the two of you decide to collaborate on this story?

~While writing this story, what was the process, meaning do you guys alternate chapters or do you write each chapter together?

~Do you take turns coming up with plot points or do you kind of follow each other's lead?

~ What made you decide on Brian and Nick as your two leads?

There were a few to start you off lol I enjoy being Oprah so I may be back with more.

I am always amazed and awed by people who can collaborate so flawlessly. I think it takes a special talent to write with someone.  :)

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mers

• Captain of Commotion
  • the other M
    • Unveiled Thoughts
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007, 10:19:07 PM »

i have a question! i hope both or one of you can answer this.

how did the fic come about? did one of you contact the other and said, listen, i have this story nagging in my head and i figured maybe you'd like to write it with me? or did the plot/fic came after you both decided to collab and then just brainstorm for an idea of a story?

thanks in adv. btw!
What succor, what consolation is there in truth, compared to a story? What good is truth, at midnight, in the dark, when the wind is roaring like a bear in the chimney? What you need are the plump comforts of a story. Th soothing, rocking safety of a lie - Vida Winter

shrinkingviolet

• Captain of Commotion
    • distant . faces
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2007, 09:47:33 AM »

Yay! I'm glad to see people discussing this fic and it's always extra great when the authors are part of the forum.

When I had my fanfic of the month club I used to write interviews for the authors so I thought i'd ask you some of those questions now. :)

I am always amazed and awed by people who can collaborate so flawlessly. I think it takes a special talent to write with someone.  :)

Wow, mare, thanks so much! *blushes* I'll take a crack at answering these, though I'm sure Anastacia can come up with more answers for you as well...

~It's hard to write a collaboration, what made the two of you decide to collaborate on this story?

1. This story isn't our first collaboration. Bring Me To Life was our first, and after that we began a sequel, Wake Me Up Inside, and we just had so much fun writing together that we decided to come up with more story ideas to collaborate on. I can't remember who first had the idea, whether it was a mutual thought or one of us said, "Hey! How's this sound?!"

While writing this story, what was the process, meaning do you guys alternate chapters or do you write each chapter together?

We actually write each chapter together, usually writing a paragraph at a time. We always have a base plan for a chapter before we begin, and I must say that going back and forth makes it more interesting (for me), because I can write something and expect a certain reply from another character, but Anastacia surprises me with something completely different. It's very exciting this way, and I'm always blown away by her.

~Do you take turns coming up with plot points or do you kind of follow each other's lead?

For the most part we follow each other's lead, I believe. Ideas pop up for me at very weird moments, and I usually dive for the cell phone so I can text her the idea and see what she thinks. (Try texting a story idea while changing a dirty diaper, it ain't easy!) Or we'll be writing on a scene and it will create more ideas for the story further down the road, and we discuss things thorougly before actually writing them, so we both know what's going to happen.

~ What made you decide on Brian and Nick as your two leads?

Egads, I honestly can't remember. Brian was a natural, considering that the story began with Baylee's heart problems, and when our plot bunnies were going crazy I had a major soft spot for Brian. (*cough* I still do, but I honestly switch between the Boys almost as much as I do underwear... *ahem*) Unless I'm mistaken, I want to say that Nick was an automatic decision, because it seemed to us that Brian and Nick had sort of grown apart since his marriage and the birth of Baylee, and we wanted the happenings in the story to make them inseparable as before.

There were a few to start you off lol I enjoy being Oprah so I may be back with more.

Yes, I remember your many Oprah interviews from the fanfic club. To me they were probably the most interesting things about the entire deal; I enjoy finding out what things caused a writer to start a story and all that. Thanks again, mare.  ;)

i have a question! i hope both or one of you can answer this.

how did the fic come about? did one of you contact the other and said, listen, i have this story nagging in my head and i figured maybe you'd like to write it with me? or did the plot/fic came after you both decided to collab and then just brainstorm for an idea of a story?

thanks in adv. btw!

*facepalm* I can't remember. I'll go dig through our conversation history and see if I can find out how the idea came up to begin with. *is off to search*

oh! Thanks for making us a featured story, and for all the great things you guys have been saying. *is humbled*

Anastacia

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2007, 10:51:25 AM »

There isn't much that I can add with Shrinkingviole t's questions. She answered pretty much as I would answer, which is probably why we work so well together. We've got the same wave lengths in our brains, or so it seems when I end up completing her thoughts or vice versa.

Though, I can shed light to the original fiction idea for LOAC. You see, for our first fiction, Bring Me To Life, Shrinkingviole t had that original idea. So, of course, I had to step up and give her an idea to go on. Since I'm a Registered Nurse and absolutely adore the pediatric field, I thought it would be interesting to give Baylee a congential heart defect, because they are genetic and since Brian had one... It seemed plausible that Baylee would develop one as well. Then, because I'm in a Nick mood, I thought it'd be interesting to let him develop a relationship with the nurse, since, technically, nurses are not allowed to kindle relationship with patients... But, hey, friends of patients are neutral territory, my friend!
Pages: [1] 2 3