Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mash-up Collaboration Challenge  (Read 6549 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Mash-up Collaboration Challenge
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2009, 05:12:35 PM »

I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with! :)
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2009, 06:26:03 PM »

I cant wait to see what you ladies come up with. I would have liked to participate, but gots no net. Next time.

ajsbaby

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2009, 03:13:41 AM »

Those of you that have collaborated with someone before, do you have any tips for those who haven't? You know, to make things run more smoothly.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2009, 03:57:40 AM »

I wanted to ask the same thing!  I've never collaborated before and have no idea what to do, where to start, etc.  But I'm looking forward to seeing what we can come up with :)

ajsbaby

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2009, 04:03:57 AM »

Same here pretty anxious to get started but unless anyone has some advice to share guess we'll have to learn by trial and error

kissesxoxo

• Captain of Commotion
  • Like I Did Before The Storm
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2009, 08:31:43 AM »

I've done collabs before not on AC though, but generally best is to figure out who or what characters you'll be writing about talking to your co author whichever way is easier for you all, like through email or PM or even messenger depending, and then throw around ideas and see if you can agree on something that both sparks your interests. Then if you're the planning type, plan it out, if not then decide if you're gonna each do chapters or work on chapters together, depends on which you feel more comfortable with.
But basically it is trial and error like someone mentioned above too :-). Since everyone is different.

Hope this was of some help.

~ Min
Thursday September 9th CW Nikita

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2009, 11:51:48 AM »

Having fun with it so far :)

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2009, 07:55:20 PM »

that and just do it. It seems the hardest part of collabing is following through to the end. It's too easy for life to get in the way, so you just have to make sure you don't bail on your partner. If you get your parts written quicker, it should help because they they don't have to wait so long for you. Plus then you don't feel guilty and start to stress about it.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2009, 07:56:05 PM »

I'm kind of excited too. I need a break from original fic and this should be fun.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2009, 07:59:46 PM »

I think IM works best as a means of communication, at least as far as discussing and planning the story, because it's instantaneous.  You can feed off each other's ideas and inspire each other.

In general, though, just be open to all ideas, be willing to compromise, and be able to give and receive constructive criticism - speak up when you're not happy with something and listen when your co-writer isn't happy with something.  Don't be bossy, but don't let the other person have their way about everything and walk all over you either.  Unless you agree on everything right off the bat (which is great if you do, but even two writers who are totally in sync won't always), it's a matter of give and take and finding the middle ground, which is usually the best.

I've found that it works best to plan the story out together before writing it, rather than just letting one person start and the other person pick up where they left off without any idea of where the story is going.  A little planning keeps the storyline more focused and prevents writer's block because you always know ahead of time what's going to happen.

Hope that helps!
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2009, 08:01:21 PM »

that and just do it. It seems the hardest part of collabing is following through to the end. It's too easy for life to get in the way, so you just have to make sure you don't bail on your partner. If you get your parts written quicker, it should help because they they don't have to wait so long for you. Plus then you don't feel guilty and start to stress about it.

Very true.
~Julie

ajsbaby

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2009, 09:09:52 PM »

I have to agree that IM works the best for planning out the details.

kissesxoxo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2009, 08:40:17 AM »

Future Boy by CarterKid and Kissesxoxo- http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9948

the start of our Mash Up! It's still in progress, but since we got a chapter done figured Id put the link here.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2009, 04:14:08 PM »

Wow, you guys are quick!  Great start!  I left you a review. :)
~Julie

kissesxoxo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2009, 07:10:56 PM »

awesome thanks!  :)
Pages: 1 [2]