Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Author Topic: Featured story of the month - January 2010 True Love Never Dies  (Read 3860 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Featured story of the month - January 2010 True Love Never Dies
« on: January 01, 2010, 10:12:03 AM »

Congrats Sinara! First you win bingo and now you are featured. :)

Enjoy your month and thanks for starting out the 2010 featured stories!

Here's the link to the story. I hope you all check it out and don't forget to ask Katie any questions you may have.

http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8734
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Sinara

• Minion of Mayhem
  • Unbreakable bonds form in innocence of childhood.
    • Set It Off
Re: Featured story of the month - January 2010 True Love Never Dies
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 03:10:57 PM »

OMG! No way! Awww! Thanks you guys! :)
- Katie -

Live passionately.. . and hold fast to your dreams. Live life with no regrets.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 03:32:48 PM »

Congrats Katie! :)
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 08:37:34 PM »

You're welceom Katie!

Here's the survey for you to fill out!

1) Tell us one thing about your story that no one else knows?

2) How long did it take you to write this entire story?

3) Give us a summary different from the one you have posted on AC, with a few more spoilers to make people tune in.

4) If you could cast this story as a movie who would play the main roles and why?

5) Have you ever thought of giving up on the story and if you did what made you continue to work on it?

6) What was your writing process? (Outline, make it up as you go along, the characters wrote it, I am Tonja and plagerized lol)

7) Who was your favorite character in this story and why?

8 ) You had to know this was coming, who was your least favorite?

9) Are all the boys in this one? If not why did you choose to exclude them?

10) If we like this story...then we'd love what story? (Could be by you or someone else) and obviously tell us why lol   
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Sinara

• Minion of Mayhem
    • Set It Off
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 12:27:34 AM »

1) Tell us one thing about your story that no one else knows?: John Williams, Melanie's friend, was named after the infamous John Williams who wrote countless film scores and is a legend in composing.

2) How long did it take you to write this entire story?: About 5 months.

3) Give us a summary different from the one you have posted on AC, with a few more spoilers to make people tune in.: Melanie Davis was in love with her best friend, Brian Littrell, until he moved away and joined the Backstreet Boys, promising he'll keep in touch. She doesn't hear from him until years later, when she interview him on her radio show. The chemistry is still there, but Brian has already married someone else. In the end, their attraction to each other is too hard to deny. One night of passion results in Baylee. See how Leighanne manages to separate the lovers again, and how Melanie finds the courage to fight for what she deserves.

4) If you could cast this story as a movie who would play the main roles and why?: Brian would obviously play himself. Baylee could play himself. Leighanne could play herself. Melanie would be played by Reese Witherspoon or Mandy Moore. Both of them, I think could pull off the wide-array of emotions Mel goes through. Also, Mandy is a great singer and could pull off the nerdy, choir-girl, high school Mel at the beginning. John would probably be played by James Marsden or Anson Adam Mount because both of them give off the tough, "I have a secret," vibe, but they both can also look like good, down-home Christian guys.

5) Have you ever thought of giving up on the story and if you did what made you continue to work on it?: I wrote this story during a time I seemed to be on a roll with writing. I never really thought about giving up, since it didn't take that long to finish.

6) What was your writing process?: Oh, most definitely plagiarizing like Tonja. Just kidding. I usually will write down a basic plot, like where I want the story to go and so on, but then, once I start writing, I let the characters lead me where they need to go. The plot is always in the back of my mind, but the characters have final say.

7) Who was your favorite character in this story and why?: John is probably my favorite character because he starts out the story jealous, but you learn that he is a really great friend in the end. He really grows the most as a character, I think, and the story wouldn't have a very happy ending if it wasn't for him.

8 ) You had to know this was coming, who was your least favorite?: My least favorite is Leighanne, just because I felt like I made her too one-sided and not fleshed out enough. If I had to rewrite this (which I am planning on eventually), I would make her a little more well-rounded and dynamic.

9) Are all the boys in this one? If not why did you choose to exclude them?: Yes. All the Boys make appearances, but they are not HUGE parts in the story.

10) If we like this story...then we'd love what story?: Of mine, you'll like "A Simple Twist of Fate" because they were both written around the same time when I was in the same state of mind. I don't really know.

(Sorry it took so long to fill this out. I was out of town until Tuesday evening. Today was my catch-up day.)
- Katie -

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 01:56:22 PM »

Here are a few questions for you miss Katie :)

Do you have plans to ever make a sequel to this one?

What if any stories are you currently working on now?

How does this story rate for you in terms of what you haver written? Is it your favorite?

Sinara

• Minion of Mayhem
    • Set It Off
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 01:10:14 AM »

Do you have plans to ever make a sequel to this one? Honestly? No. At least not any time soon. Before I would ever work on a sequel, I would actually want to re-write this one. I think, now, considering how much I have grown as a writer, this story, written the way it is, would be completely different from the sequel if I started it without revising the first one first.

What if any stories are you currently working on now? Actually, I have been so busy with work and other obligations (which came up rather unexpectedly), I have barely had any time to write anything, including my in-progress Charmed story or the chapter I am supposed to be sending Kelly for our collaboration. Now that I have quit my job, (hopefully) I will have a lot more time on my hands to work on updating some of this stuff. Granted, school starts this week, so I'll have that to worry about, but my first priorities are my collaboration and my Charmed story. Then I'll focus on the rest.

How does this story rate for you in terms of what you haver written? Is it your favorite? Actually, no. My favorite (Backstreet) stories, right now, are actually, United In Grief, Two Hearts Torn, and the drastically different, completely unlike my usual self, No Strings Attached. Out of my finished stories, this one ranks second, behind A Simple Twist of Fate.
- Katie -

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 02:38:21 PM »

Well done Katie, this story is one that I must go and read!

Sinara

• Minion of Mayhem
    • Set It Off
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 06:57:20 PM »

Thanks! :) I hope you like it.
- Katie -

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 09:54:21 AM »

Do oyu have any favorite quotes or lines that stand out in True Love Never Dies.

How has it be recieved as far as feedback and is there one chapter that has gotten more FB than the others? If so, why do you think that is?

If you hd to change the ending of the story, would you and how would you make it different?

Sinara

• Minion of Mayhem
    • Set It Off
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 06:26:47 PM »

Do you have any favorite quotes or lines that stand out in True Love Never Dies: Well, I guess the ending lines stick out most because one of the quotes in it was the whole basis of the story. I found this quote written down on a piece of paper and it really got me thinking - and then I just started writing based on that quote.
The look in his eyes reminded me of something that I had heard a long time ago that I finally understood: the only way love will survive is if the heart is true. Looking at Brian, it all made sense. Only when two people were completely committed to one another would their love survive the tests and trials of life. Brian and I had true loveā€¦ life had shown us that. Together, we were unstoppable because true love never dies.

How has it be recieved as far as feedback and is there one chapter that has gotten more FB than the others? If so, why do you think that is?: So far, most of the responses have been fairly positive. I got one person that basically told me the exact same things I had been thinking (ei. Leighanne is too villainous, Mel is too victimized, stuff that I'd already been wanting to change when I get the chance to rewrite - stuff I didn't really understand when I was first starting out in characterizati on). As for the chapter with the most feedback - that seems to be chapter five. When I was first posting this story on livejournal, where I posted most of my stories before finding AC, I got three times the amount of comments on that chapter than any other chapter. Most likely, it had to do with it being the most physically intimate chapter in the story. That's my theory, anyway. 

If you had to change the ending of the story, would you and how would you make it different?: I think the story really only had one way to end. If I had done anything else, I wouldn't have felt fulfilled, and I don't think the people reading it would have been fulfilled and satisfied either.
- Katie -

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 06:31:09 PM »

Thanks for letting us feature you this month Katie. I'm a little behind schedule so even though it's February, if anyone else has anymore questions feel free to post them.

Thanks!

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 08:56:57 PM »

Wow have I really been gone that long. I missed an entire month. Congrats Katie! You deserved it! Sorry I missed it!
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

ForeverFrick

• Major Disruption
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 08:32:31 PM »

"8 ) You had to know this was coming, who was your least favorite?: My least favorite is Leighanne, just because I felt like I made her too one-sided and not fleshed out enough. If I had to rewrite this (which I am planning on eventually), I would make her a little more well-rounded and dynamic.  "

I had a follow-up to this question... You said that if you rewrite this story, you are going to portray Leighanne's character differently, and also that you were thinking she was too villainous.  Do you think this would, in turn, change the overall storyline at all, since she is a driving force for a lot of the conflict?  Or would you want to characterize her differently while keeping everything else intact?

Anyways, just finished reading the story, and I thought you had some good detail and dialogue throughout.  Congrats on being featured.  (I'm a little late, as January's over,but I thought I'd still comment.  :)  )