Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Featured Story of the month for April - On The Rails  (Read 4394 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Featured Story of the month for April - On The Rails
« on: April 01, 2010, 07:27:18 AM »

As you all know, I love this story and that's saying something because normally I stay away from AUs, stories that only feature one of the guys and historical novels. This happens to fit in all three avoidance categories lol It's so well written and the plot is so unique, I couldn't help but fall in love with it. The only flaw it has is that it's not finished. I'm hoping maybe that will be remedied sometime in the near future.

I still highly recommend checking this one out, you won't be disappointed.

Here is the link: http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9453

Enjoy! :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Chrissy

• Captain of Commotion
  • the author formerly known as filiklepto
Re: Featured Story of the month for April - On The Rails
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 05:51:35 AM »

Wow!  When I first saw Mare's post on twitter, I kind of thought this was an April Fool's Joke ;)  I'm really honored to have my story featured for the month and to see it so highly praised!  Thanks everyone for your support, encouragement, and reviews.  To my readers, I know I haven't updated in a while, but fear not--I do have the story plotted out all the way to the end.  It's just a matter of finding time and inspiration to write it all down.
my muse is such a lush

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 04:44:05 PM »

Aww, i'd never joke about this lol

Here is a questionaire. Fill it out when you have the time, also another question for you. Where did you get this idea from?

1) Tell us one thing about your story that no one else knows?

2) How long did it take you to write this entire story?

3) Give us a summary different from the one you have posted on AC, with a few more spoilers to make people tune in.

4) If you could cast this story as a movie who would play the main roles and why?

5) Have you ever thought of giving up on the story and if you did what made you continue to work on it?

6) What was your writing process? (Outline, make it up as you go along, the characters wrote it, I am Tonja and plagerized lol)

7) Who was your favorite character in this story and why?

8 ) You had to know this was coming, who was your least favorite?

9) Are all the boys in this one? If not why did you choose to exclude them?

10) If we like this story...then we'd love what story? (Could be by you or someone else) and obviously tell us why lol   
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 07:29:34 AM »

I've just spent the past couple of hours reading this story and love it!  I've been meaning to read it for a long time but I think the thing which put me off was the fact that it hadn't been updated in such a long time.

So I'd like to know if you have any plans to update in the near future as I need to know how things turn out :)

Also well done on being story of the month :)

Chrissy

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 08:44:33 PM »

I'm not done answering all the questions, and some are a bit more difficult to answer than others, so here's what I have so far:

2) How long did it take you to write this entire story?
As you probably know, "On the Rails" isn't finished yet, but I first started writing it about 8 years ago.  (Wow! I didn't even realize it had been that long until just now.)  In high school, my American History professor showed a truly riveting PBS documentary on the Great Depression and the teenagers who lived on the road, hitching rides across the country on the catwalks of railroad trains.  I immediately got the idea for this story and have been writing it on and off ever since.

5) Have you ever thought of giving up on the story and if you did what made you continue to work on it?
Oh definitely.  Back in high school I hit a huge road block where I wrote myself into a corner that I couldn't get out of, so I gave up on OTR.  Later, I started another story "On Nightingale Hill" as part of NaNoWriMo 2006(?) and was occupied by that until my hard drive crashed and I lost all the files.  When that happened, I found myself wanting a creative outlet so I picked up "On the Rails" and started writing again.  I addressed the problems that I had with my earlier draft, and now I'm pretty excited to continue the story! :D

6) What was your writing process? (Outline, make it up as you go along, the characters wrote it, I am Tonja and plagerized lol)
I have an overall outline in my head of certain events that are supposed to happen during the course of the year that the characters are together.  In general, each chapter takes place during a specific month.  First I outline the main things I would like to happen during that month, and then I stop writing and just allow myself to daydream and picture the story taking place in my head.  The scenes that I can imagine vividly are usually the easiest to put down in word; then it's only a matter of writing in the gaps between the vivid parts so that the story will transition smoothly from one rich montage to the next.  This, of course, is easier said than done and it's why my updates tend to take so long.
my muse is such a lush

Chrissy

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 08:48:37 PM »

I've just spent the past couple of hours reading this story and love it!  I've been meaning to read it for a long time but I think the thing which put me off was the fact that it hadn't been updated in such a long time.

So I'd like to know if you have any plans to update in the near future as I need to know how things turn out :)

Also well done on being story of the month :)

Thank you!  I got your reviews; they made me feel all warm and squishy inside.  <3  And, yes, I do have plans to update.  I know it's a long way off, but my next update should be ready before June.  I'm working two jobs right now and going to school full-time, but mid-May I'll be on summer vacation and back down to one job.  I'm hoping to publish an update around that time, so sit tight and I'll try my best!!
my muse is such a lush

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 01:26:10 PM »

Cool, I'll look forward to that then :)  Also hope you'll update On Nightingale Hill too as that's another awesome story!

Two jobs and studying full time, no wonder you haven't had chance to write.  Sounds like a lot of hard work!

Chrissy

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 07:37:34 PM »

1) Tell us one thing about your story that no one else knows?
Nick's backstory is a lot more complicated than he admitted to Carla.  He may pose as a carefree traveling musician, but actually he's running away from a lot of responsibility and is not so carefree as he would have others think.

4) If you could cast this story as a movie who would play the main roles and why?
Oh, definitely Samantha Krutzfeldt for Carla.  She's a television actress who isn't very well known, but when I caught her one night in a bit role on an episode of Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles, I just knew that she was my Carla.  Samantha's got that perfect blend of pretty, spunky girl and cute young boy going for her; she's exactly how I picture Carla.  You can see her in the banner I have posted on OTR

Nick was harder to cast, but I think Matt Czuchry would do a great job playing him in a movie.  I see a lot of similarities between Nick and and Logan Huntzberger, the character Matt played on Gilmore Girls--both are the terribly charming and handsome devil may care type but that happy-go-lucky nature is a mask for a deep internal struggle.

7) Who was your favorite character in this story and why?
Spoiler!  My favorite character has to be Kevin, who makes a really small appearance in a later chapter.  Despite his minor role, Kevin's dry humor and insightful nature set him apart as one of my favorite characters in the whole story.

8 ) You had to know this was coming, who was your least favorite?
Ah, definitely Brian's manager.  He's coming up in the next update, and he's a total greasebag!

9) Are all the boys in this one? If not why did you choose to exclude them?
Actually, yes they are!  I've barely introduced Brian, but each of the Backstreet Boys will have a cameo in "On the Rails."

10) If we like this story...then we'd love what story? (Could be by you or someone else) and obviously tell us why lol
Satin and Silk by Julilly.  I've been absent from AC.net for a while and can't seem to find any of her stories anymore; they seem to have disappeared... But if they ever return, I would definitely recommend that you go read Satin and Silk, as well as anything else she's ever written.  Julia is an amazing storyteller and has a great knack for drawing the reader into her story.  Once you start one of her fics, you'll never want to stop reading!
my muse is such a lush

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 09:57:49 PM »

Thanks for filling the rest of this out and thanks for writing such a great story!

Chrissy

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 03:53:35 PM »

Just wanted to let you girls know that the next chapter update to On the Rails is imminent!! I am in a serious writing mood and have about half of it down already.  Expect an update by tomorrow at the latest :D
my muse is such a lush

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 03:58:15 PM »

Yayyyyyyy!

Been waiting patiently for an update :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 04:06:08 PM »

Wow! LOL awesome!

Chrissy

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 11:59:35 AM »

Okay, I've got about 3,000 words down but I still have a few more plot points I want to hit.  This looks like it's going to be a long chapter--I'll post it tonight after my econ midterm :D
my muse is such a lush

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 12:10:02 PM »

Excellent! Good luck on your midterm!

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 04:00:58 PM »

Looking forward to reading :)
Pages: [1] 2