Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: What's your fanfic "niche"?  (Read 9864 times)

Howies Girl

• Innocent Bystander
Re: What's your fanfic "niche"?
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 09:03:23 AM »

I'm not sure what my "niche" is. the only way to find out is for you guys to read my stories and see for yourselves *laughs evily*  :crazy:

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 03:03:59 PM »

I'm also a sucker for anything supernatural/superhero, though any time I've started a fan fic where the boys have powers, I've never finished it. Shame. I probably would have finished There Were Five if I hadn't lost the 70 pages I had written.

So maybe my writing niche and my reading niche are two different things.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2010, 03:23:40 PM »

I'm also a sucker for anything supernatural/superhero, though any time I've started a fan fic where the boys have powers, I've never finished it. Shame. I probably would have finished There Were Five if I hadn't lost the 70 pages I had written.

Same here!

I tried writing a science fiction story but never got as far as posting any of it because it just didn't feel right.  I love to read just about any kind of story though :)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2010, 05:43:41 PM »

I'm kind of the same way with reading vs. writing.  I love a good medical drama romantic tearjerker, but good ones are hard to come by in book form, so I mostly read horror and thrillers.  I haven't had as much experience trying to write horror and thrillers, though I'm getting there with the zombie story.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2010, 08:38:40 AM »

I'm not as picky reading a book as I am reading a fanfic. I'll read anything as long as it sounds interesting and is well written.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2010, 02:24:00 PM »

I'm big on reading in the supernatural genre, too, like I said in my post. I definitely think reading & writing niches are very different, too. Personally, I feel like I can't read books in the same niche that I write because I can figure 'em out too easy just because "thats how I would've written it..." lol
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

yorkielover88

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2010, 06:13:09 PM »

slash, though I try so hard to stray away from it I just keep coming back to it. It's rather odd because in real life I don't really agree with being gay. (no offense at all if you are!!!!!!!)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2010, 06:31:23 PM »

Hm, that is kind of odd...  Why do you feel that way in real life when you can appreciate a gay relationship in your stories?  Is it a religious thing?

I don't mean to start a debate, but homosexuality isn't a choice, so it's not something you can really "agree" or "disagree" with.  That'd be like saying "I don't agree with being black."  Like it or not, some people are born black, just as some are born white, just as some are born straight, just as some are born gay.

If you enjoy writing slash and can see how a relationship between two men can be beautiful, then maybe you don't really "disagree with being gay."  Maybe you just think you're supposed to.  Don't let anyone else tell you how to think or what to believe.  (And if it seems like that's what I'm trying to do, I'm not... I just wanted you to consider the point I'm making and decide for yourself how you really feel.)
~Julie

yorkielover88

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2010, 06:41:13 PM »

no like... if you wanna be gay go for it but... i could NEVER be with another girl or if I was a guy a guy. Plus my fam is major religious and my hubby is homophobic. I mean I love Ellen D. but I could never kiss a girl like she does Porsche. Does that make sense? I could watch the degrassi episode where Marco and Dillon Kiss over and over and over but if a girl wanted me in real life... I'de have to run away!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2010, 07:24:46 PM »

It makes sense, but that's because you're straight.  I have no interest in being with another girl either, but I'm not gay.  It's not just a choice you make - I mean, sure, you can choose to go around kissing girls, but that doesn't make you gay if you're not really attracted to them.  Just like a gay guy can date girls, but if he's really gay, then he's making a choice that goes against who he really is and how he really feels.  I hope that makes sense too.
~Julie

yorkielover88

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2010, 07:31:06 PM »

totally. I dunno I just love writing about... like Nick and Kevin but if the two where to come out in real life... I think I'd find it a bit creepy.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2010, 10:02:57 PM »

I'm big on reading in the supernatural genre, too, like I said in my post. I definitely think reading & writing niches are very different, too. Personally, I feel like I can't read books in the same niche that I write because I can figure 'em out too easy just because "thats how I would've written it..." lol

How is it that so many people are coming out reading the supernatural now?  *PLUGS MESSING WITH MAGIC AND MORE THAN THAT* Okay not really supernatual but yah! LOL

I know I said I liked to twist things but I'm not sure I do super well at it.  I read stories by Mary Higgins Clark and other suspense authors and wow at how they keep everything straight (even though I figure out who it is early)...  I've done a bit of it all... I even started a Nick romance *hides from Julie and Rose* but it didn't get super far.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »

I know I said I liked to twist things but I'm not sure I do super well at it.  I read stories by Mary Higgins Clark and other suspense authors and wow at how they keep everything straight (even though I figure out who it is early)

That's one of the things that makes me marvel the most at book series like Harry Potter or the Lord of the Rings. Every single little detail ties together - from book one to the end. Like even little things that most people overlook completely was explained later in the series and turned out to be crucial for the plot. It blows my mind. Esp. LOTR because Tolkein like literally invented a whole language (there's literally alphabets and dictionaries in elfish that he wrote) just as backstory.... stuff he never intended to actually publish, but that he needed in order to create the world that the characters lived in.

For me, as weird as it sounds, when I start writing, I never know where the ending is gonna turn up. I reread the whole thing every time I add to a story, or at least the last 2-3 chapters. Things fall into place on their own, there's a natural order that comes from that, and it makes for plot twists that fit but are so unexpected because hell, even I had no clue until I really analyzed it a 2nd time. Whenever I TRY to set up a plot twist, its too obvious (ie., the double agent in STDFB2), but twists that I don't try to force are more shocking (I have one written for Time Watcher that hasn't been posted yet that even I didn't see coming when I started the story... but falls in naturally and throws back to something else perfectly).

In my opinion, it's not always the writer that creates the story. Sometimes, with the right story and the right character, the story really creates itself. Characters are created by the writer, but once they've been created they run on their own, and a lot of times I find that a well written character will write the story better than the author could.... lol I definitely attribute my writing skill to the characters that I write about (both in fan fic and original fic).

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2010, 10:35:30 PM »

I agree with that completely. A lot of my stories just go with the flow and end up changing (Darkness of Vampires was not supposed to have a sequel but that darn Kevin....)  I've often made the comment that my characters don't co-operate with me when I'm writing. I want them to do something and they end up doing something else.  Very annoying.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2010, 10:59:54 PM »

I've often made the comment that my characters don't co-operate with me when I'm writing. I want them to do something and they end up doing something else.  Very annoying.
I find myself going "What'd you do THAT for stupid?" at Nick like a million times when I was writing STDFB - especially the 2nd one (like when he got stuck in the bus window - which that scene wasn't originally even gonna be in the story, but he just insisted....  ::)) lmao   :D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5