Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Author Topic: Writing and reading  (Read 2671 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Writing and reading
« on: July 06, 2010, 02:22:42 PM »

Something I noticed about myself lately is that I can't seem to do both read and write at the same time.

When I was in my dry spell writing wise I couldn't go for a day without reading a book. I went through about one book a week. Now that i'm writing again I can barely pick up a book and read anything.

I have had a Jody Picoult book sitting next to my rocking chair for over a good month now and haven't even started it yet.  ???

I just think that's funny. I can't seem to read a book when I have my writing flow going. Fanfic is different. I can read that, probably because it's just one chapter at a time and long spaces in-between instead of in one sitting like a book.

Does this happen to anybody else?

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
Re: Writing and reading
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 02:33:22 PM »

Mare, that is EXACTLY me. I find it so frustrating!! I know a lot of people say that when they are dry of writing inspiration they read but that never seems to help me.  All it does is feed my reading addiction and the next thing I know a month has gone by, I haven't written a thing, but I've read a whole stack of books.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 02:52:52 PM »

Yeah, i'm the same way. I can't concerntrate on something i'm writing and something someone else is. I just get carried away in reading and then don't want to go back to writing. Glad to see i'm not the only one lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

VeeLynn

• Innocent Bystander
    • Dragon Age: Into The Fire
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 02:53:56 PM »

It did me lol For Christmas I got the World Of Warcraft book Arthus (soo freaking good fyi).  My stories stopped until I stopped reading that book.  I couldn't put it down and I think that's it like Mare said.  Reading FF is here and there mostly because of the updating process where as books you just keep going till it's done, get sucked into it.
The writer formally known as ScoobieGang. :D

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 03:27:34 PM »

I think I'm a bit like that too, especially if it's a good book I'm reading.  Or sometimes I'll sit down with the intention of writing something and then I log on here for a quick look and before I know it, a couple of hours have passed by and I've got nothing done!

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 03:30:20 PM »

I think I'm a bit like that too, especially if it's a good book I'm reading.  Or sometimes I'll sit down with the intention of writing something and then I log on here for a quick look and before I know it, a couple of hours have passed by and I've got nothing done!

*eyes my 5,000 plus posts warily*  I don't know what you mean by wasting time on here at all!   :D

Between this site and goodreads, I'm amazed I ever get anything done at all.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 03:39:01 PM »

:D Being here is a good way to spend my time.

I've had to put off writing this week as I've been fixing my laptop and that's where all my work is kept.

Mare, I'm glad you're putting off reading the Jodi Piccoult book as I'm really enjoying your new story :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 04:41:03 PM »

Aww thanks Steph! lol I'l be updating that one tomorrow :)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 05:49:51 PM »

I get that way too.  When I'm really in writing mode, I can spend literally a whole day sitting at the computer, researching and writing (and getting distracted and wasting time on here and on Twitter LOL).  I don't watch TV, I forget to eat, I don't leave the apartment if I can help it.  I'm in the zone.  I had that kind of day yesterday, and I didn't actually write a thing, but I had a new story idea I couldn't let go of and needed to get out of my system, so I spent the day making a four-page outline.

Then there are days where I can't ever get the writing going and will spend the day reading or watching TV instead.  I almost always read before I go to bed, though.  I love sleeping, but I'm not a big fan of going to bed, and it takes me awhile to fall asleep, so I always delay it a bit by reading in bed.  I don't read a lot during the day, though, unless it's a book I just can't put down.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

evergreenwriter83

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 06:34:51 PM »

I'm like that...when I'm writing I think reading other books gets in the way of my story flow.  I don't want to absorb someone elses ideas either when my head is full of my own. :) I did get through the new Janet Evanovich book but it took a week whereas when I'm not writing it takes less than a day.