Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Author Topic: Flash Fiction  (Read 3321 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Flash Fiction
« on: March 11, 2007, 06:28:38 PM »

Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of this before? I just came upon the idea very recently and it's really helped me with my writing and character developement for my non bsb writings.

Basically it's just a really short story no more than 500 words, where you are given a topic or theme and have to create some kind of story around it.

I was just curious lol you probably all have heard of it before but it was news to me.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
Re: Flash Fiction
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 06:48:57 PM »

That's sort of how my contests were run... *shrugs* I didn't know it was called Flash fiction though.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 07:37:59 PM »

i never heard of it, but i'm skeptical since staying under 500 words for me would be really tough. i tend to overwrite i guess.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 08:03:08 PM »

I think that's the challenge of it. To be able to not be so wordy lol I know it's tough for me too. My chapters tend to be endless sometimes.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 08:08:19 PM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 09:01:54 PM »

I heard about it in my creative writing class, and I've read a few, but I've never written one.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 02:45:35 AM »

i never heard of it, but i'm skeptical since staying under 500 words for me would be really tough. i tend to overwrite i guess.

hahahaha Mel! I think you and I have the same problem! I think I would die having to stay under 500 words... I'll probably exceed that in this post! I've never heard of it either, but it sounds interesting... What kind of topic do you mean? I'm sort of curious to try it.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 02:26:06 PM »

You can write about anything, really. :) That's the beauty of it. :)
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 06:51:22 PM »

The one I just did the topic was city smells lol and you had to write 500 words or less.

It was a lot of fun but really challenging.

http://mares-braincandy.com/citysmells.html
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 07:59:52 PM by mare »

mers

• Captain of Commotion
  • the other M
    • Unveiled Thoughts
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 01:15:08 PM »

never heard of it but it sounds interesting! i should try write one just for fun one of these days, lol. but city smell? ok, that's a toughie!
What succor, what consolation is there in truth, compared to a story? What good is truth, at midnight, in the dark, when the wind is roaring like a bear in the chimney? What you need are the plump comforts of a story. Th soothing, rocking safety of a lie - Vida Winter

mers

• Captain of Commotion
  • the other M
    • Unveiled Thoughts
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2007, 01:19:40 PM »

The one I just did the topic was city smells lol and you had to write 500 words or less.

just read yours. wow. that last line broke my heart :( and lol okay, i can smell the things you're describing, which means it worked but dude...next time, how abt some roses and pizzas smell?
What succor, what consolation is there in truth, compared to a story? What good is truth, at midnight, in the dark, when the wind is roaring like a bear in the chimney? What you need are the plump comforts of a story. Th soothing, rocking safety of a lie - Vida Winter

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 04:28:57 AM »

Just read it all though I have never been there before I could really see it...like Mers said the last two sentences were really sad...good job!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2007, 05:52:35 PM »

Just read it all though I have never been there before I could really see it...like Mers said the last two sentences were really sad...good job!

Thanks Erika :)