Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Babies and the Band  (Read 6566 times)

evergreenwriter83

• Minion of Mayhem
Babies and the Band
« on: August 02, 2010, 05:40:13 AM »

Babies and the Band has disapeared off the website. I've emailed Julilly and Mare.  Unfortunately, my computer crashed last night and ALL I have is the newest chapter to post.  I'm reaching out to all of you to see if anyone has saved past chapters.  Otherwise, the entire story is lost.  I'm hoping somewhere it's lurking on the server or...I don't know...I'm at school right now on a computer crossing my fingers.  I have ever story, even Twelve Steps backed up...this is officially worse than the AC crash of 2010 for me.   :-[

Bilittrell

• Innocent Bystander
Re: Babies and the Band
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 05:56:32 AM »

OMG! I noticed it had gone. I'd gotten an email saying you'd updated and when i went to read it came up saying your story hadn't been autherized yet. I hope someone finds it for you!
- Lisa

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 06:01:05 AM »

Oh my gosh!  How does that happen??  You didn't delete it accidentally trying to edit anything on it, did you?  I've done that before - deleted a whole story instead of just a chapter like I intended to LOL.  It's easier to do than you'd think!

If that's not the case, I wonder what happened to it??  That is so weird; I've never heard of a story just disappearing from the site.  I hope it can be recovered or that someone has it saved!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

evergreenwriter83

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 06:02:05 AM »

I have chapters 1-12, and chapter ...um 25 or 26.  I think half of chapter 14.  I got 'hubby-caught' writing a couple weeks ago so I've been piecemealing the chapters.  So, if anyone has chapters 13-41, I have a chance of getting the story back up.  I'm also crossing my fingers that there's a backup on the brand new wonderful server Chaos put up.  It was the weirdest thing. I was posting the new chapter this morning and it gave me a fatal sql error.  When I went to try again...no story.

evergreenwriter83

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 06:03:48 AM »

Oh my gosh!  How does that happen??  You didn't delete it accidentally trying to edit anything on it, did you?  I've done that before - deleted a whole story instead of just a chapter like I intended to LOL.  It's easier to do than you'd think!

If that's not the case, I wonder what happened to it??  That is so weird; I've never heard of a story just disappearing from the site.  I hope it can be recovered or that someone has it saved!

I deleted With the Band like that like on Chapter Two way back when.  I'm going to be so upset if the missing chapters can't be recovered.  There's NO recreating all of the little events I set up and refer back to...I don't even care about all the reviews lost (well, maybe a little), but the story... ::sigh::

Bilittrell

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 06:05:55 AM »

Yea i accidently deleted a whole story too.
Maybe cos you didn't actually delete and it was the site that messed up that it is floating around somewhere.

You should do what i do though to back myself up. I'm so paranoid my comp will die and I'll lose everything that i email myself the chapters. That way they are in my inbox. I've got my fingers and toes crossed for ya!
- Lisa

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 06:07:05 AM »

Wow, that is scary to think that can happen (the fatal SQL error)!  Like I said, I've never heard of such a thing happening, but I guess we've only been on this server a month or so.

I'm so sorry; I know you must be freaking out.  There's no way I'd wanna try to rewrite all that either.  I know you have a lot of people reading this story, so hopefully some of them will be able to help!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Bilittrell

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 06:08:28 AM »

I've had the fatal sql error thing pop up before, usually when the page loads after i've posted an update.
- Lisa

evergreenwriter83

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 06:15:37 AM »

Yea i accidently deleted a whole story too.
Maybe cos you didn't actually delete and it was the site that messed up that it is floating around somewhere.

You should do what i do though to back myself up. I'm so paranoid my comp will die and I'll lose everything that i email myself the chapters. That way they are in my inbox. I've got my fingers and toes crossed for ya!

I usually open the story on Absolute Chaos like I'm going to print it and save the whole thing as a .pdf.  Unfortunately, I haven't done that since chapter 12.  I'm doing a lot of face slaps this morning.  It's going to be a LONG day at work :S

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 07:45:20 AM »

I had to email Chaos and ask him when the last backup he has is, but I fear that it was done back when we moved servers, so you won't have all the chapters.

The backup was set to be done today, and it was, so losing your stuff yesterday truly was the worst timing ever.

When I look back to see what everyone was doing last night, it does show that you deleted the story. I don't even know how that would have happened with an error uploading a new chapter, I am stumped.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 07:50:05 AM by julilly »
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 07:56:00 AM »

yeah, my only thought is that if you were on the site when the computer actually crashed and were maybe clicking and in the meantime you accidentally clicked delete. I have done stuff like that when my computer is frozen. Just click away and not realize what i'm actualy clicking will kick in once the computer unfreezes.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 08:40:34 AM »

OMG I am so sorry! I hope someone has it so that you recover it. I'd be freaking out too if it were me. :(
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 02:23:13 PM »

Like I said on the proboards, I CANNOT BELIEVE this is the only coaster series story I DIDNT save the other day. UGH. Im so mad at me right now. :\

Hey did you ask um...ooo ...who was it that was asking about having copies in word docs for her ereader like 2 weeks ago????  Maybe she downloaded it onto her reader??? Maybe you should PM her?
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

evergreenwriter83

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 02:26:20 PM »

Like I said on the proboards, I CANNOT BELIEVE this is the only coaster series story I DIDNT save the other day. UGH. Im so mad at me right now. :\

Hey did you ask um...ooo ...who was it that was asking about having copies in word docs for her ereader like 2 weeks ago????  Maybe she downloaded it onto her reader??? Maybe you should PM her?

bluemoon says she has a copy but ANYONE that has a copy...even if it's just a few chapters I will take multiple, multiple versions of my story at the moment.  Flood my Inbox..I don't care, REALLY!

Pengi don't be mad at yourself...ima gine how I feel today. I'm the AUTHOR and I don't have a full save.  I'm just fidgeting right now and refreshing my inbox...hoping and praying to the Yahoo e-mail Gods...

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 03:17:13 PM »

awww... I backed up everything when I read you lost the story. At least it's a learning experience. So at least one person has a copy right??? did you back up the others now??
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:
Pages: [1] 2