Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Grammar 101...  (Read 23495 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Grammar 101...
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2010, 03:43:28 AM »

LOL that makes sense; I break that one sometimes, too, when it doesn't look right.   "As long as you put the punctuation inside the quotation marks when writing dialogue," I say, "it's all good!"
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2010, 04:44:27 AM »

I'm sure I don't always put the comma in the right place :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2010, 09:47:12 AM »

I know I overuse commas lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

A-RokzStalker

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2010, 02:18:50 PM »

LOL that makes sense; I break that one sometimes, too, when it doesn't look right.   "As long as you put the punctuation inside the quotation marks when writing dialogue," I say, "it's all good!"

Yeah, that's how I feel about it as well. LOL
~ Amy.

TheDistantHeart

• Major Disruption
  • Would you risk it for a chocolate biscuit?
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2010, 03:43:48 PM »

I'm with whoever mentioned having comma issues. I've had people tell me I'm a comma nut...that I over use them. In my mind, I seem to think I need them. ??? But...thanks to Google...I found this site that explains 21 rules of comma usage, and also gives examples. The site also has a drop down bar, on the right, which allows you to look at other punctuation rules.

http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/commas.asp

Oooh, you just saved my life! Well, not literally. I think you rather saved my stories! LOL! Thanks! ;D

Oh and thanks RokOfAges75 (I forgot your name) for the help. I think I get the "I look to you" rule, even though I had to think about it for a few minutes. It is pretty confusing. :D

I never use text-speak in fanfics. I will never write something like: "OMG! What happened here?!" Then I will write "Oh my God!". Same for wtf (or wth), btw, tbh, idc.. etc. Though I don't use idc that often. I only use them in conversations on MSN or in texts (even when I'm texting in Dutch I use things like wtf and btw. I can't live without English lol! But that's also part of the language of the "youth").
I'm also relieved to know that prepositions is a common issue. I remember my English teacher explained the rules a thousand times but still I got confused. :D

Oh, talking about shorts. Once, I read a fanfic with something like, "LOL! That was funny, man!" Nick said. "LMAO! I know, right?" Brian replied. I mean, do people actually say LOL and LMAO in real life? I've seen (Na-ah not I seen) a movie once where a girl was like "OH EM GEE!". It was the first time I heard someone actually say it so I thought to myself "why not say oh my God?". But yeah, if I see a fanfic with OMG, LMAO and stuff, I skip it automatically. That's a big no-no!

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2010, 12:51:20 PM »

I get annoyed with myself if I go back and reread for inspiration and I find typos...and I am typo city!!  I don't notice when I post and it is always things that spellcheck misses! Oftentimes, it doesn't matter how many times I reread it, I will miss certain things until it is posted.  I am too lazy to go back and make corrections 40 chapters later...horrib le I know.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2010, 12:58:15 PM »

I am so bad with typos! My fingers type faster then my brain processes and then I don't see them until after I post! lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2010, 01:01:47 PM »

Some of my standards are things like he instead of her, or a forgotten a or an or other word that doesnt make an incomplete sentence...

Glad I am not the only one!

A-RokzStalker

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2010, 01:04:46 PM »

I normally have hardly any typos in my writing, but I was going though old essays from college and there was one with a TON of typos. EEK! I cringed so bad, thinking, "What the hell was my problem that day??"
~ Amy.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2010, 05:13:51 AM »

Can I also mention in here the differences between USA and English words?  Some people might read my stories and think things like 'you don't spell favourite with a u in the middle, she can't spell' etc, etc.  I just want to point out that some of our spellings are different and it's not that I'm crap at spelling  ;D

Sorry to go slightly off the topic!

They make fun of my u's all the time, so we can band together on this one.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Karen

• Major Disruption
  • You only live once.
    • drivebylove
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2010, 01:48:40 PM »

Your "u" Julilly was something I got used to over the years :)

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/
is a site I use off and on, in case anybody is looking for another helpful tool
Find me @ drivebylove, ac

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2010, 11:32:54 PM »

Sorry I have slacked off on updating this every day like I said I would.  No time!

I know what you mean about the typos, Darby.  Those are tough because, like you said, spellcheck doesn't always catch them (if it's a case of "he" instead of "her" or just leaving out a word, like your examples), and even if you really proofread it, your eyes still might fill in the missing stuff because YOU know what you meant to say.  That's why it is nice to have a beta read it; it's easier to catch mistakes in someone else's work than in in your own.  I always proofread my chapters before posting, but even then, I still find typos in them later, or someone else does LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2010, 07:17:01 AM »

That happens to me too, I'll read it and think it looks OK, then I realise I've missed a word.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2010, 10:40:33 PM »

aww poor Steph lol

Realise is one of those words we were talking about earlier.

realize here, realise in Europe

English is a weird beast.

A-RokzStalker

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2010, 02:20:31 AM »

Oh yeah, or the Canadian vs. US spellings. Sometimes it really bothers me, but I've been dealing with it better recently. haha
~ Amy.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10