Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What will you read?  (Read 7693 times)

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
Re: What will you read?
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2007, 11:56:31 AM »

I guess I'll add my two bits to this:

As a writer I'm all over the place with what I'll write, but, for some reason, romance keeps coming back at the end LOL Not that I'm any good at it either, but eh.

As a reader, though, the things I will read:
  • Anything that is coherent and well-written
  • Anything that hooks me after the first chapter or two. I know some stories take a while to really get going and, sometimes (and I think this is purely masochistic of me), I'll read a really long, drawn out, and totally uninteresting story in the hopes that it will be good in the end. But that's a rarity as I have no time these days to indulge in that.
  • Usually, genre-wise, I'll read suspense, drama (though it depends on the kind of drama), anything that sounds interesting in an AU, horror, and romantic drama (although I'm really picky about the romance part of it)
  • Stories about Brian, Kevin, and sometimes AJ. Unless it's an interesting Nick fic with a minimal amount of romance, I won't read Nick fics unless they're written by Mare, Mersey, or Julie (sorry, everyone else! I still love you, though!).
  • Stories that are rich in emotion and character development. Those always get me excited if they're done really well and can get to the core of their characters and make them accessible--I hope that makes sense!

What I won't read:
  • Poorly constructed stories (i.e. if your grammar is atrocious, I won't read more than the first paragraph
  • Slash, visuals, m-preg, and anything that's graphically sexual--In my own writing, I'm stepping away from writing anything remotely portraying a sex scene because I just don't want to read/write it anymore
  • The romances that are just cliched with BSB and a girl meeting, falling in love, having dramatic moments, breaking up but oh no! she's pregnant, so now what? and so on and on...I know my first story was all about that, but I've learned and I'm moving on...I hope! Mary Sues fall into this, too
  • I can't describe this, but I've discovered that I'm picky when it comes to writing styles, too. It's hard to explain, but if a story is just not written in a style that I'm comfortable with, I won't read it. LOL It's bad that this hard to tell you exactly what I mean, but yeah...
  • I rarely ever read Nick romances because the instant I see Nick and Romance, I go "Not for me" even though I'm writing one LOL I guess I'm just tired of seeing them all over the place, and I'm tired of my own Nick romance and now just trying to finish it so I can move on LOL
Sarah

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2007, 06:31:39 PM »

maybe you should define what you consider a great drama?

you should read I Know This Much is True or She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb

Those are great dramas, to me anyway lol :)

No idea on that one; like I said, everything is really petty to me...

That I've seen at least....
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2007, 09:31:05 PM »

Here's mine:

What draws me in:  I don't like reading on the computer so this won't be much.

-I've read pretty much all of Dee's stuff (before I really knew her) because she was nice enough to review Wulf's Bane when I was asking people to leave me a note about that story.
- If it's alternate universe, and I mean alternate universe, like it takes place in ANOTHER world.  That I will look into and then the author has to hook me in the first 5 chapters (it's what I give ALL stories whether fanfic or fiction) for me to continue reading it.
-If the summary makes the story sound interesting I might give it a try.
- Suspense if it catches my interest while reading.
-If someone really really really wants my opinion on their story and I'm in the mood I will start to give you my opinion but if I stop it's usually because you lost my interest.

What I don't read:

Pretty much everything else.  Romance is out before I even hit the link *bats eyelashes* even though I tend to have that word in mine.  Drama, there's enough of that in life I don't need it in my fiction unless it's a sidebar to the story.  I don't like to read on the computer so really if it doesn't sound interesting I won't read it.

OH I also don't read those stories that have like 100+ chapters... to me that's just drawn out, end it already. (no offense anyone I just can't stare at the screen that long).

OH YEAH.. I just thought of something about what I do read too.... (was talking to Dee about this topic).  If you have me HOOKED with one of your stories I will read ALL your other stuff no matter what the genre... at least give it all a try.  But if you hook me with AU or suspense and have written romance/drama... I will read those, except maybe if it gets close to one of those 100+ chapter stories. :-D
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 09:52:04 PM by Purpura Lipstick »
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2007, 09:47:01 PM »

As far as what I'll read goes the answer is pretty much everything. At least I attempt to give everything a try. The more appropriate question for me would be what will turn me off or make me lose interest...

-I'm not a big fan of fantasy or sci-fi, so unless it is written very well I'll prolly lose interest.
-If its the typical fan meets BSB member, they fall in love, get married, and have a baby type stories.
-Bad grammer, spelling, or no spaces between paragraphs or no paragraphs at all
- Pretty much anything slash
- I don't mind sexual content, but if its at the point of being distasteful I'll stop reading. Sex scenes have their time and place. I don't mind detail, but I could do without all the dialogue. I think its just cheesy.
- To add to the sexual content too many sexual references seem kind of forced. Plus lil tricks like say a female lead conviently taking off her shirt and forgetting she had a bra on are just ike get real. Who does that?
- I'm very critical of female leads. If your main character is flawlessly beautiful, stumbles into an incredible career, and EVERY male including Baylee is in love with her and can't stop talking about how hot she is chances are I'm going to hate her. Mary Sue's are SOOOO annoying!

I think thats enough for now lol

shrinkingviolet

• Captain of Commotion
    • distant . faces
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2007, 10:47:17 AM »

Things I look for when wanting to read a fanfic:

- Something good, lol. Not to be mean, but it's really hard to come across a good fanfic, and when I actually do I squeal. Loudly and obnoxiously, until the kids complain.
- Something well-written. I really like a story to have good grammar and be mostly free of spelling mistakes. And when it comes to the point I have to correct things in my mind as I read, I stop.
- I'll read mostly anything, genre-wise. I do like romance, unlike what seems most everyone here. I like slash, too (*blushes*), as long as it's well-written. One genre I can't get into is Sci-Fi, really the only sci-fi I can handle is Star Wars, and not much of that. I'm boring that way.
- Anything by Anastacia, starbeamz2, mersey, honey, I'll read it. I do have my favorite authors, and I have been known to re-read something that I've read before just to get my fanfic fix.

Things I don't enjoy reading and avoid:

- Anything involving girl singer opens for the Boys and falls in love. Just, no, please.
- Anything involving the Boys being kidnapped--wait, I'm writing one of those. Nevermind!
- I hardly ever read anything with Nick. I don't know why, but I tend to stay away from Nick stories, unless it's a short or by someone I read all the time. Yes, I know, I write Nick, but that's completely different.
- If I see a summary and the summary is full of grammar and/or spelling mistakes, I tend to avoid it.
- Crossovers usually turn me off, because it's all I can do to focus on the Boys, and having to learn new characters that are already developed just gives me a headache. There are exceptions, of course, but mostly I stay away from them.

Basically? I'll read anything, as long as it's not sci-fi, the summary is well-written, and I don't have to correct grammar and spelling in my head. *is easily pleased*

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2007, 03:25:57 PM »

- Anything by Anastacia, starbeamz2, mersey, honey, I'll read it. I do have my favorite authors, and I have been known to re-read something that I've read before just to get my fanfic fix.

Basically? I'll read anything, as long as it's not sci-fi, the summary is well-written, and I don't have to correct grammar and spelling in my head. *is easily pleased*

Aww, thanks for reading all my stuff. And ditto on yours, too. As soon as I see your name, I'm like "yay! new story!" LOL and, i agree with that last part, too. I will pretty much read it all except for slash, fantasy, and visuals, although I have read really good slash (which is so weird of me to say, knowing myself LOL) but that's a rarity for me...
Sarah

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2007, 08:35:22 PM »

*waves white flag*

I get it, I surrender.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2007, 11:27:15 PM »

*sigh* I give in with you Dee... nobody likes the sci-fi/fantasy... we're DOOMED I tell you DOOMED. ;)
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2007, 11:39:12 PM »

*sigh* I give in with you Dee... nobody likes the sci-fi/fantasy... we're DOOMED I tell you DOOMED. ;)

I'm being serious.
~*Dee*~

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2007, 11:52:06 PM »

*coughs* I've ALWAYS been serious.. why do you think Wulf's Bane hasn't been updated for half a year.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2007, 11:54:39 PM »

The people on Fanfic.net stopped reviewing? ;)
~*Dee*~

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2007, 05:30:47 AM »

Sci-fi is a doomed genre, but it has its loyals, a story that was formally a collab and I am now finishing on my own (don't have it in me to let that one go...) Divisions of Reality, now we haven't updated the thing since like..2005. But I decided this year to keep it alive, and expected no reviews, I was writing it because I still love that story even though my writing has grown since.

Lo and behold, readers who reviewed when it first started...(2003  :o lol it had been a side project in the beginning for us both) came back reviewed, encouraging me to keep it going.

So even though my romance gets the most reviews (yes romance...writ ten not for reviews but because I wanted to) a lot of times, that one sci-fi is the most satisfying.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2007, 06:40:23 AM »

^ Exactly... you gotta write what YOU want to write, whether that be romance or sci-fi or slash or whatever, and if that gets you readers, great, and if it doesn't, at least you're enjoying it, right?  Better than forcing some story out just to please the readers and have them begging you for updates when you don't feel like updating.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2007, 05:10:19 PM »

^^Exactly, and I was shocked when old readers came back to it. So, I write what I want, and am content. Sure I'd love tons of reviews, but they're not a must
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

LenniluvsBrian

• General Pandemonium
  • You gave me a smile that I will never forget.....
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2007, 02:14:40 AM »

I think I read just about anything. Though, I'm not fond of lots of action, unless it's Ninja Turtles - lol. And Sci-Fi hasta be, like, Star Trek: The Next Generation or the one kinda sci-fi fic I was working on years ago, that was based on a dream I'd had.

I LOVE stories that involve BSB with kids! Kids are just so adorable & extremely humorous! They highly amuse me! Lol. I also love fluff - like, well, since she says it all the time, Honey's stories. I LOVE those types. Brian ones are lovely too - or Nick & Kevin ones....*coughs*...y'all know what fic I mean, I mention it enough...*coughs*

Also, if I don't like how the story is written, the layout or the plot or whatever, I won't read it - no matter how good the summary may be. Though, usually I look for the interesting summaries - lol.

But, yeah, I think that about covers it - I hope - haha.

~Lenni~
Concert Tickets: $270
3 BSB T-Shirts: $105
BSB Sweater: $85
Poster & Book: $30
Having Brian grab me & pull me close during sound check: PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Train Ticket: $14.95
Bus Fare: $3.50
Marilyn Denis Show Ticket: Free
Nick Carter singing to me on live television: PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pages: 1 [2] 3