Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Are you up for a challenge? Come in if you are brave!  (Read 20642 times)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Are you up for a challenge? Come in if you are brave!
« on: March 30, 2007, 12:49:25 AM »

So, after keeping up with the "What do you all read?" thread, I think it's time a challenge was posed:

Read a work you would never read!

And I don't mean bad grammar/spelling fics... I mean genre.

When have we all gotten so picky that we aren't willing to try something new? And yes, I say we meaning me also. Of course, if I had the time, I would read work by you all, because I consider you friends. But that's beside the point...

Let that be a challenge to everyone.

And this should be interesting. :)
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
Re: Are you up for a challenge? Come in if you are brave!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 02:49:42 AM »

I think it's a wonderful idea! At least give it a sporting chance. I have never read fantasy before, but am adoring Pandora's Box! And I also loved Ground Zero even though I don't like those kidnap torture types... So you never know, you might surprise yourself!

*And if it's AU's you don't like, might I reccomend reading the first episode of 00Carter   It's not that long and highly entertaining!

http://www.dreamers-sanctuary.com/00carter

hahahahahahaha hahahaha How's that for shameless plugging! :P
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 05:34:54 AM »

lmao Kelly!

Hmm one that I don't normally read lol...well that rules out all the fantasy/sci stories..

Guess that means it'll be a romance.

Well Kelly, I did say I've been meaning to look at yours.. (sorry Dee, the ones that intrigue with yours are the ones in the genres I normally read  :P)
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 11:51:31 AM »

That's a good idea. I did that very recently. I tried reading something romance-ish.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 12:20:22 PM »

lmao Kelly!

Hmm one that I don't normally read lol...well that rules out all the fantasy/sci stories..

Guess that means it'll be a romance.

Well Kelly, I did say I've been meaning to look at yours.. (sorry Dee, the ones that intrigue with yours are the ones in the genres I normally read  :P)

That's fine. :) The challenge is to read something you normally wouldn't read. :)

Which for me means I must searh out a total stranger... La la la la la la...
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 02:06:49 PM »

That's a good idea. I did that very recently. I tried reading something romance-ish.

Ooh...What'd you read? And how did it go? Were you turned away by it or were you pleasantly surprised? or Somewhere in the middle?

Huh. Maybe these should be questions that we should all post the answers to once we've read something out of our norm of reading. Yes? Is that okay? :)
Sarah

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 02:08:04 PM »

and??? Doesn't sound like it was very promising... haha Oh well at least you tired :) If you can't get through it, then you can't get through it. I say try, but if you do and you just can't get into it, then don't waste your time forcing yourself to finish it.

I guess for me I might have to try and read a slash...   hmmm.... this should be interesting.

If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 02:10:05 PM »

Ooh...What'd you read? And how did it go? Were you turned away by it or were you pleasantly surprised? or Somewhere in the middle?

Huh. Maybe these should be questions that we should all post the answers to once we've read something out of our norm of reading. Yes? Is that okay? :)

yeah, that would be interesting to hear

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 02:25:51 PM »

Yup. *nod* Then we all might find some more interesting things to read. :)
~*Dee*~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 02:33:31 PM »

I would rather not say what it was. After the first chapter I got excited because it seemed to be boy centered but then by the second one it went back to the old formula so I lost interest. It just didn't do anything for me at all, but at least I tried.

I have tried before lol this isn't the first time i've read a romance. I have even read slash fics before. That's how I have come to the conclusion I do not like some of these things. lol

but yes, I did try and will again lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 02:48:14 PM »

After the first chapter I got excited because it seemed to be boy centered but then by the second one it went back to the old formula so I lost interest.

you know, that makes me think... I wonder if I could write a completely boy centered romance.  When I think about it, I think all my stories are girl centered ones. Well Whitmore Lake, and A Christmas Miracle, I would say are both kinda split down the middle, but still center a lot around the girl.   

I should try it... I should write a totally boy centered romance. It would be hard though, cause the thing about romance is, you're supposed to have both people's perspective.  But I do tend to focus a lot more on one than the other and in my case it's always the female. Hmmm.... really I need to try this now. :) Yay! Thanks a lot Mare, now I'm gonna go and start another story... Like I need to do that.  :D

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 02:57:42 PM »

I would rather not say what it was. After the first chapter I got excited because it seemed to be boy centered but then by the second one it went back to the old formula so I lost interest. It just didn't do anything for me at all, but at least I tried.

I know what you mean. I started this story (Hensley) and I didn't mean for it to turn out the way that it's turning out. The first chapter was all Brian, and then I made my uh oh mistake and had the second chapter be about the girl. Which makes me mad at myself, but I don't think I want to remove/edit it...yet. Fortunately, I've come to my senses, and the story is finally getting to its suspense part!

But yay for you trying and trying again (soon?) LOL

I never, ever in a million years ever read slash, but, when I got into East Water Convergence, I thought I'd try out Kid Sinclair's other work. Some of it was both slash and normal romance but always with this dark, underlying psychological drama going on between the characters and the outside world.  Suddenly, I was hooked (and I didn't even feel squicky reading about it--probably because she never wrote a blatant sex scene--which is good!) My favorite was called "The Collectors" and it had Nick, Brian, Britney, Christina, JC, and Justin in the story. It was weird to be reading *N Sync/Britney/Christina fic, but the story was so good that I forgot that element. Nick, Brian, Britney, JC, and Justin all had these psychological powers of "collecting" everything from inspiration, hope, dreams, hearts, and (I think this was Brian's collection) intellect. They would be really careful about what they were collecting because it was pieces of other people's lives that they were taking. Anyway, JC and Nick were "involved" and Nick collected hearts. The problem with collecting hearts was that people cannot survive for too long without their emotional hearts...so there was a dilemma with Nick being unable to control his collecting abilities...

Anyhoo, the story was really interesting and dark! Unfortunately, it's not up anywhere because Kid took all of her stuff down and shut it all down...so...al as, it's all gone. *sigh* But, there, I've read something different!
Sarah

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 02:59:17 PM »

you know, that makes me think... I wonder if I could write a completely boy centered romance.  When I think about it, I think all my stories are girl centered ones. Well Whitmore Lake, and A Christmas Miracle, I would say are both kinda split down the middle, but still center a lot around the girl.  

I should try it... I should write a totally boy centered romance. It would be hard though, cause the thing about romance is, you're supposed to have both people's perspective.  But I do tend to focus a lot more on one than the other and in my case it's always the female. Hmmm.... really I need to try this now. :) Yay! Thanks a lot Mare, now I'm gonna go and start another story... Like I need to do that.  :D

you do that and I promise i'll try to read it lol As long as it's a Nick and or Kevin centered fic. I forgot to add that earlier.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 10:11:16 PM by mare »

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 03:01:00 PM »

I know exactly what you mean because that's exactly the way I am (how are we on the same brain wavelength? LOL). But I'm going to try really, really hard to make "Hensley" be more or less focused on Brian...so good luck with your new story LOL
Sarah

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2007, 03:03:20 PM »

I've heard so many great things about East water Convergence. I am really not big on crossovers either lol yes you can all kick my butt for being picky, but those two were so incredibly nice that I remember always wanting to give it a try. Of course by the time I decided to do that, it was gone.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5