Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: publishing  (Read 12306 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: publishing
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2010, 11:21:27 AM »

Haha we seem to think alike, Mare! Though I don't know about all places that offer to publish you for money being a scam because some places are charging you just to print and bind your book, not necessarily distribute it.

LOL and I just said that too, the think alike part. No, that's not necessarily a scam but what I mean is you shouldn't really have to pay for any part of the publishing process. So if you find a place that will charge you to print and bind, you are beingscammed in a way. That's just what I was told by an Ex Random House editor I met.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

jasminium_ailey

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2010, 11:25:47 AM »

OK so do people really even turn fan fictions into regular stories? also, where does one even start looking for publishers and how do you know the difference? I mean.... just treat me like a dumb blond. How would one self publish. I mean who does that kinda stuff? Gosh I'm glad some of you guys have done this before.

Ok - so I totally have to ask!! Which story of yours do you think you'll publish???  ;D

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2010, 12:11:24 PM »

Aww I would've liked to have read your book Mare, shame it was print on demand.  If I ever see it somewhere for a sensible amount of money, then I'll buy it :)

yorkielover88

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2010, 12:18:38 PM »

I'd be so embaresed to publish my slash stuff even though I'm told its really good. I've given thought to the "peices of my heart" series and the story DO I HAVE TO CRY FOR YOU. I'm just a little scared of how much re-writing I would have to do to help it not look like a bsb fan fiction. Cause if its too much the same then its not really all your right?

I guess I'm just not sure of the best place to start. I mean what if I'm not good enough to be published? Aren't their rules and regulations and stuff for publishing.

Would it be best to just start by plugging into google: how to get published? I mean I totally don't wanna be scammed!

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »

I'd do as Mare  and Jasmine suggested and google it, it doesn't cost anything to research :)

yorkielover88

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2010, 01:10:18 PM »

So self publishing you pay for everything but you also get to keep everything you make from the book selling? That's what im finding on google. Is this right?

What is it called if you go through something like.... one site mentioned something called lulu? Also is it copyrighted to you or them? Do you get any money from doing it this way? can you not sell it on your own?

What would I type in to google to find out more info on publishing through something like whatever lulu is?

jasminium_ailey

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2010, 01:47:31 PM »

I don't know that there is a whole lot more that we know here than you do. I cant speak for everyone else but all I would really be able to go is read off of Google. Apart from Mare none of us really have experienced it.  :(

yorkielover88

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2010, 01:48:02 PM »

oh and talk to me about this "smaller publishing houses is the way to go" thing. Do you just send your book into one of these places and if they like it they'll publish it? i mean it cant be that simple can it? there has to be more? is it copy righted to you? do you make any money? there is soooo much info on google and I'm having trouble understanding it all.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2010, 01:49:44 PM »

You might want to worry about writing your manuscript first and researching your publishing options once you have a first draft of that done.  Even if you're thinking of trying to convert a fanfic into an original novel, it's going to take a lot of rewriting, revising, and editing before it's ready to send anywhere.

You should at least know what kind of a story you're writing before checking out different publishing companies, because they tend to specialize in publishing different types of books.  Are you wanting to write an adult novel, a young adult novel, or a children's book?  Do you know what genre you want to write in?  What size novel are you anticipating writing?

You really need to focus on the story itself first, and that means focusing on your writing craft as well.  You need to produce a quality, well-written manuscript before you have any hope of getting it published.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

yorkielover88

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2010, 01:55:01 PM »

I just guess I dont want to waste my time writing a real book if publishing is not a possibility.

Also does anyone on here happen to know anything about this lulu thing?

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2010, 01:57:14 PM »

The only people who know for sure that what they write is going to be published is people who already have book deals. First time writers will never know if someone is going to decide to publish it because it could be years of shopping the book around before someone finally says yes.

And LuLu is basically a printing press, they will print and bind the book for you or do an eBook and you can either order however many copies you want, or have it publish on demand.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2010, 01:57:58 PM »

oh and talk to me about this "smaller publishing houses is the way to go" thing. Do you just send your book into one of these places and if they like it they'll publish it? i mean it cant be that simple can it? there has to be more? is it copy righted to you? do you make any money? there is soooo much info on google and I'm having trouble understanding it all.

I was going to say something along the lines of what Julie just said. First you need to make the decision to go ahead and write your story and make it publish worthy. Sending out the manuscript comes much later. First step is to take the time to make sure you have something of good quality that people will want to read and as you go along, you'll be able to figure out the direction you want to go in.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2010, 01:59:37 PM »

I just guess I dont want to waste my time writing a real book if publishing is not a possibility.

If you don't want to waste your time writing it, that probably means it's not meant to be. If you really want to do it, you'll do it. You will never know if it is going to get published or not. It's just a desire you need to have.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2010, 02:10:20 PM »

If writing is something you are serious about, then go for it.

yorkielover88

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2010, 02:25:20 PM »

I guess you guys are right. I just didn't know if publishing was something you have to have tons of money to do. Cause if that was the case there was no way I could afford it. But yeah, I guess I'll just start with a writing a story and go from there. My mom is really into book and really smart so maybe she can help me with any questions I have on formatting and grammar. I know she would help proof read it.

As for the story and turning a fan fic into one and the comment on doing that to far from normal. I can't even begin to imagine how hard it would be to turn it into a real story that people could read and not know it was first about bsb!

Random thought too... I wonder if all this info applies to doing a book of lots of poetry. I have a lot of poems and would love to cop right and publish them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4