Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: publishing  (Read 12308 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: publishing
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2010, 02:40:42 PM »

If you have a manuscript good enough to be accepted by a real publishing company, you won't need any money.  That's why you should focus on writing a great, correctly-formatted manuscript first.

With the turning a fanfic into an original novel thing, unless you wrote the fanfic as a total AU to begin with, it's probably going to require rewriting.  That's what I've found with my stuff, at least.  But that's not a bad thing; rewriting gives you a chance to improve the story.  It's just time-consuming and usually not as inspiring as writing the story the first time around.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2010, 02:47:23 PM »

^ that is very true. It's actually not a fun process at all but it does give you the chance to change things from the original. I changed a lot of stuff for this second one to the point that the fanfic and the new version are pretty different. Not to say that if you read the fanfic, you wouldn't recognize it, but I was able to add on new characters and elements. That part of it is fun, but not the plugging in new names etc... lol

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2010, 02:51:49 PM »

^ that is very true. It's actually not a fun process at all but it does give you the chance to change things from the original. I changed a lot of stuff for this second one to the point that the fanfic and the new version are pretty different. Not to say that if you read the fanfic, you wouldn't recognize it, but I was able to add on new characters and elements. That part of it is fun, but not the plugging in new names etc... lol

OMG the plugging in new names is a pain in the ass lol. Cause you rewrite it still picturing BSB since that's who you had in mind for it...

I was de-fanficing a story I did. I quit cause personally I feel I'm at a place where I can produce something better if I want to get published. But it's not an easy thing to do.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2010, 02:54:15 PM »

Ditto.  I thought I was gonna spend this summer rewriting Broken an original novel.  I've started it twice, but for as inspired as I was the whole time I was writing the fanfic originally, I just couldn't sustain that same level of inspiration for the novel version.  I'm taking it as a sign that it's not meant to be, at least not now.  Instead, I started two very fanfic-y fanfics and had a blast writing those all summer LOL.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2010, 03:03:16 PM »

LOL it was quite the fun writing summer! Although I did spend all summer defanficing <-- love that word Shadow Woods. I am glad i'm all done but not really. Now comes the fun stupid part of reformatting it, numbering pages, places Shadow Woods in the corner of every page.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2010, 03:05:59 PM »

LOL it was quite the fun writing summer! Although I did spend all summer defanficing <-- love that word Shadow Woods. I am glad i'm all done but not really. Now comes the fun stupid part of reformatting it, numbering pages, places Shadow Woods in the corner of every page.

It was a fun fanfic summer :)

It's weird, as a fanfic writer, I do a lot of AUs, and suddenly my brain is coming up with all these very fanficy ideas LOL. So go figure lmao.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2010, 03:06:55 PM »

I do have another suggestion to those of you interested in getting honest opinions of your work besides from this fanfic community.

Fiction press is a great site to post your original fics. They are really honest and give great feedback and opinions. I tend to post there when I write OF and they have really helped me with some things. Don't say it's a fanifc because it will be ignored. Just rewrite a few chapters and post it and see what happens.

http://www.fictionpress.com/

That's another way to gauge how someone other than people who read your fanfics, would think of your stuff.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2010, 03:07:25 PM »

The last couple things you can just do with headers and footers on Word, right?
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2010, 03:08:08 PM »

It was a fun fanfic summer :)

It's weird, as a fanfic writer, I do a lot of AUs, and suddenly my brain is coming up with all these very fanficy ideas LOL. So go figure lmao.

LOL I know, right?  Same here.  I guess it's just a phase thing... you run out of fanfic ideas so you go to AU for awhile, but then the fanficy ideas come back.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2010, 03:09:36 PM »

The last couple things you can just do with headers and footers on Word, right?

Maybe if I knew how? lol the page numbers yes. Not sure about the name of story thing. I was looking for an easy way to do that.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2010, 03:14:05 PM »

Maybe if I knew how? lol the page numbers yes. Not sure about the name of story thing. I was looking for an easy way to do that.

Yep!  If you have Word 2003 or earlier, go to View -> Headers and Footers.  You can just type the title and set which side of the page you want it on, and there's a feature for page numbers too.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2010, 03:17:16 PM »

AHH thanks! I knew about the page numbers but not the headers! Woot! lol

yorkielover88

« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2010, 05:19:42 PM »

dose that website have copy right protection mare? I had a problem with a poem being stolen so now I am afraid of something else being stolen!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2010, 05:50:00 PM »

I'm not sure about that. I just think whenever you deal with posting online there's a chance something could be stolen. It's happened right on AC more than once. It might say in the rules on the site.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2010, 05:52:10 PM »

I'm not sure about that. I just think whenever you deal with posting online there's a chance something could be stolen. It's happened right on AC more than once. It might say in the rules on the site.

Yep, stolen word for word, or in other cases, total rip offs of other people's ideas. (Inspiration is one thing, but there is a difference between that and totally stealing someone else's idea). That's the risk that comes with posting on the internet.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4