Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: publishing  (Read 12307 times)

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: publishing
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2010, 05:53:16 PM »

Technically there's no such thing as copyright without a lawyer filling out paperwork to that effect. But there is always intellectual property laws protecting the things that you write. It's a little more challenging to fight, but they have them in N. America and Europe.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2010, 11:22:50 AM »

Julie, you should carry on with Broken as a novel because it's a great story.

I think Song For The Undead would do well as original fiction too, because it's AU all it would take is a few name changes.  Have you guys ever thought of going down that road with it?

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2010, 11:31:37 AM »

I think Song For The Undead would do well as original fiction too, because it's AU all it would take is a few name changes.  Have you guys ever thought of going down that road with it?

Thank you! That's such a huge compliment so...thank you! lol. We've had a couple people tell us that before. And yes, we're actually thinking about going for it once we finish it. :) As of right now, we're only about halfway through writing it lol. So it'll be awhile before we attempt it. :)
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2010, 11:35:24 AM »

Well, I hope you do get it published one day :)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2010, 04:58:47 PM »

I think Song For The Undead would do well as original fiction too, because it's AU all it would take is a few name changes.  Have you guys ever thought of going down that road with it?

Thank you!  I do think Broken would make a good young adult novel; I've started it twice with Nick as a high school basketball star.  I grew up reading Lurlene McDaniel's books, which are all about teenagers facing life-threatening illnesses or the death of a loved one or something tragic like that, and I LOVED those books, and they've had a huge impact on my writing, so I definitely think there is an audience for that kind of book.  I just haven't gotten very far on it yet, so it's on the backburner for now, until my inspiration is right.

And as for Undead, yeah, Rose and I have been talking about it, because someone else suggested it and it would be fairly easy to de-Backstreet-ify it, since, like you said, it's very AU.  It would need some definite revising, of course, but not full-on rewriting.  Zombies are so in right now, it might actually work! LOL  Thanks for thinking we could!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

luna610

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2010, 08:05:06 PM »

LOL it was quite the fun writing summer! Although I did spend all summer defanficing <-- love that word Shadow Woods. I am glad i'm all done but not really. Now comes the fun stupid part of reformatting it, numbering pages, places Shadow Woods in the corner of every page.

Late to the party. lol.OOooohhh! Is that the one you're working on publishing? I love that story :) And you know I love Mel's Tree! I ended up ordering my copy from Amazon.
"Be yourself because the people that mind don't matter and the people that matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2010, 08:43:41 PM »

aww yes. I am going to be mailing it out sometime this month. Can't wait for my first slew of rejection letters lol

Thanks for buying mels :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

shadesmaclean

• Major Disruption
  • The Spooky Door
    • The Spooky Door
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2010, 07:55:58 PM »

OP:
little something for those researching getting published in print:

http://www.sfwa.org/for-authors/writer-beware/

http://www.accrispin.blogspot.com/

There are a lot of scams and some truly despicable people lurking around the fringes of the publishing industry, who will try to take you for a ride if you don't do your homework.

For the most part, self publishing is the way to go. It avoids costly and lengthy book proposals, and there's less risk of your ideas being stolen by publishing companies while you're sending manuscripts around.

Same for self publishing, look it up. I know nothing about how that works except that it does end up costing you a lot of money. I guess the only tip I can offer is that you shouldn't have to pay for anything so if you find some place that offers to publish you for 'x' amount of dollars, then they aren't the real deal.

This site also contains a list of signs to beware of for scam publishers:

http://pred-ed.com/pubwarn.htm

The lower links, especially, have some real horror stories from writers who've been ripped off by shady publishers and other con artists.

And while we're on the subject, allow me to share a more personal tale of exploitation:

Earlier this month, I attempted to join a writing site called Writer's Network, and learned an unpleasant lesson about deception and cheap scams. Writer's Network lies in their FAQ, claiming, and I quote, "No Catch!" to its "Free" membership, and then spring the catch on you AFTER you've created an account.

What they DO NOT explain to you anywhere in their promotion is that it costs 5 "points" to post something. And how do you get points? There are only 2 ways: BUY them (yes, you read that right, you have to PAY for a "FREE" membership), or else you have to write 300 word book reports on other people's work to earn them. 100 words = 1 point, but you can't go over 300 for one piece, so you have to write 500 WORDS like homework, just to post ONE PIECE of your own. They give you 20 points (translation 4 POSTS) as a "starter" and that's how far "free" goes there.

Now, I have no beef with writing reviews, but twisting people's arms into it, even if they have nothing in particular to say, other than maybe "Good story" is just a recipe for fluff. And then presuming to slap a word count onto it, as if volume = substance, is just going way too far.

Read for yourself, and see if they mention anything about having to "buy" any "credits" to post your work anywhere in their FAQ:

http://www.writers-network.com/support.html#FAQ

http://www.writers-network.com/memberships.html

If they had been honest about this up-front in their FAQ, I never would have bothered to register, but they apparently assume that once you're emotionally invested in posting your work, it will pry open you wallet or pressure you to spend more time writing about other people's work than working on your own. And since Writer's Network lies to you every step of the way, I wasted an entire night of my life setting up an account, which was what really set me off.

I'm not getting any younger, and you don't have to lie to make friends. Writer's Network is a Grade A scam, and I just wanted to give my fellow writers a heads-up on them, so they y'all don't end up wasting your time like I did.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 07:59:38 PM by shadesmaclean »
-Standing backwards, Scoot.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2010, 08:05:34 PM »

That is lame!  I hate sites that scam you like that.  Join FictionPress if you're not already a member there; it works just like AC for original fiction, so it's totally free.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

shadesmaclean

• Major Disruption
  • The Spooky Door
    • The Spooky Door
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2010, 10:01:38 PM »

That is lame!  I hate sites that scam you like that.  Join FictionPress if you're not already a member there; it works just like AC for original fiction, so it's totally free.

No worries, FictionPress was the first writing site I joined, with Ficwad as a close second, and earlier this year, Fan Nation.

Which is built on the same E-fiction script as this site, which makes adding chapters here as easy as copy/pasting out of my "edit" menu there, unlike when I originally transcribed it from my message board postings of my stories, which I had to manually edit from BB code to html.  ??? (Would have been equally inconvenient to transcribe from Ficwad, since they've got their own native text formatting codes, which means that all my releases have to be formatted 3 different ways, but I guess that's the price of proliferation. Oh well, at least FP still lets you upload Word .doc files.
-Standing backwards, Scoot.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]