Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: The Felix Awards 2010 VOTING!  (Read 45141 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: The Felix Awards 2010 VOTING!
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2010, 08:46:06 PM »

Seriously, is sucks the fun right out of even having an awards if people cheat. The whole purpose behind these stupid things in the first place is to allow readers and writers to reward people for their hard work. What good is it if YOU reward yourself? How can you feel good about that?

I mean, okay voting for yourself once I get, I guess? If you honestly feel like out of the pack of people you are nominated against don't hold up to your own story. It's your right to vote for yourself, but to vote more than once? That is douche baggery at it's finest!

Rant over for now!

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2010, 09:23:44 PM »

^That is exactly how I feel, Mare. The Felix awards are so fun and I think it's mostly because we have such a supportive and fun community here, we all appriciate and respect each others works. To stuff the ballot box by voting for your own stuff multiple times just ruins the whole point of the awards. Ugh.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2010, 09:32:51 PM »

^That is exactly how I feel, Mare. The Felix awards are so fun and I think it's mostly because we have such a supportive and fun community here, we all appriciate and respect each others works. To stuff the ballot box by voting for your own stuff multiple times just ruins the whole point of the awards. Ugh.

Seriously, I thought we were all mature and honest enough to be okay with a voting system. Clearly not. Next year (and y'all can quote me on this) I'll find the time to help judge myself so we can just not do the voting thing lol.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

ForeverFrick

• Major Disruption
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2010, 09:54:24 PM »

Wow, even after the warning it's still happening?  I have a question concerning the people who are stuffing the ballot:   I know the duplicate votes get deleted, but do their original votes get taken off, as well?  Maybe it's just me, but if they are trying to put in a ton of votes and are caught, I don't think that even their first should count. 

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2010, 09:56:30 PM »

Seriously, I thought we were all mature and honest enough to be okay with a voting system. Clearly not. Next year (and y'all can quote me on this) I'll find the time to help judge myself so we can just not do the voting thing lol.

Same here, Rose! I'll gladly find time to judge next year as well if needed.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2010, 09:59:04 PM »

Wow, even after the warning it's still happening?  I have a question concerning the people who are stuffing the ballot:   I know the duplicate votes get deleted, but do their original votes get taken off, as well?  Maybe it's just me, but if they are trying to put in a ton of votes and are caught, I don't think that even their first should count. 

You make a good point, and I think you're right.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2010, 09:59:16 PM »

Same here, Rose! I'll gladly find time to judge next year as well if needed.

I will so remember you guys saying this, fyi lol
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2010, 10:06:06 PM »

I will so remember you guys saying this, fyi lol

Like I said, quote me LOL. Just make sure judging happens during the summer, will you? :)

I agree with this too, you wanna cheat, you get no vote at all.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2010, 10:22:12 PM »

I agree on both counts - don't count their votes at all, and call them out!

I used to have a yearly awards through my site (back when everyone did), and this is exactly why I stopped doing it.  The last year I did, there was this group of three or four Nick romance writers who were friends, and they all nominated each other in as many categories as possible, and then they all voted for each other multiple times so that they'd win in the polls.  Like seriously, all the other stories nominated had under 20 votes, and the stories by this clique of authors all had hundreds.  I thought the polls I had set up were cheat-proof, but it turned out you could vote multiple times by resetting cookies, just like on here, except I didn't have the power to see the same IPs and delete those votes.  It just ruined the whole thing.

So... those of you who are out to rig and ruin the Felix Awards, screw you!!

I did like that we were simplifying things by just voting this year because, even with a rubric, judging can be subjective, and it takes so long (and I know last year there was a big problem with judges bailing and leaving Mare and Julilly to finish it all).  It's too bad that a few are messing that up for everyone else.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2010, 11:29:07 PM »

No kidding. Delete their votes completely.  If you don't adhere to the rules, you shouldn't get to participate! 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2010, 02:14:49 AM »

I agree, if someone is cheating then delete all their votes!  If someone were to cheat in the Olympic games for example, they'd be disqualified :)  How can they get any satisfaction when they haven't won honestly?

And if you ever need a hand with judging for future awards, then I'll be happy to help too. 

evergreenwriter83

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2010, 03:41:13 AM »

I used to have an Awards site and that was one of the reasons I stopped as well.  Unike you guys, I couldn't see IP addresses and the clique thing was growing to ridiculous high school proportions. :/  Then I decided to judge everything with a small committee and had people bail on me.  It realy takes the fun out of it and it's not fair. 

I agree with the others....if there's stuffage (it's a word--er, at 4:30 in the morning it is, at least)  of the ballot boxes, I think it would be a good lesson to just ban that person and dismiss ALL votes.

Way too much drama four days into this d*** thing!

Howies Girl

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2010, 06:39:59 AM »

I agree, the votes should be deleted if they can't follow the rules. I have a friend who teaches 10th grade English. I helped her look up certain paragraphs of the essays on the internet and you can imagine that 4 students received zeros for using easy essay websites. even though parents would hate this I would have separated the class from those who actually wanted to go to college and have a career to those who don't give a shit and just teach the kids that want to learn. If you are going to cheat your way through life whats the point of going to school if you aren't going to put the effort into it.

I know this is just an award for fun but it sucks all the fun out when people who probably cheated their way through school are doing this.  
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 06:54:38 AM by Howies Girl »

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2010, 06:41:32 AM »

The people have spoken! Your will be done!   ;D
~Maple Jellybean~

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2010, 08:06:18 AM »

The people have spoken! Your will be done!   ;D

It's only fair :)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8