Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: The Felix Awards 2010 VOTING!  (Read 45160 times)

ForeverFrick

• Major Disruption
Re: The Felix Awards 2010 VOTING!
« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2010, 08:41:46 AM »

The people have spoken! Your will be done!   ;D

I suddenly had an image of you as Jim Carrey from Bruce Almighty! lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2010, 04:07:58 PM »

It's annoying! It almost wants you to take their stuff off as nominees as well

I always though just a voted on awards even though SO much easier isn't really as good as a judged awards. The hardest part is getting the judges to fully commit to what they signed up for.

It's kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't type thing. lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2010, 05:10:28 PM »

It really is. Both systems hold pros and cons. I guess that's why we've done a bit of both in the past.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #78 on: November 04, 2010, 05:36:24 PM »

Yeah, I think the combination is the fairest way to go, when possible.  That way it's not totally a popularity contest, but neither can anyone complain that it's totally subjective and biased, either.  But it is hard when the judges are flaky.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

yorkielover88

« Reply #79 on: November 05, 2010, 09:34:51 AM »

Could you possible do the voting the way you did nominations? Have people send them in to the felix account. You would see mulitiple votes from one person and be able to track the ip address for random new accounts.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #80 on: November 05, 2010, 09:51:39 AM »

I'm able to do that now though. Voting by having people send in PMs only leaves room for human error. Emails not going through, or being missed, that kind of thing. Which only leaves more room to say the voting was fixed. With it out of our hands it covers our butts.

The way it is right now I'm able to see and track IP addresses and delete multiple votes.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

TheDistantHeart

• Major Disruption
  • Would you risk it for a chocolate biscuit?
« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2010, 11:21:00 AM »

Cheating, really? This is not high school, people.

I am still thrilled over the fact I am nominated! I don't care if I win, the nomination is a huge compliment for me. ;D I don't think I can compete to the stories that are nominated in the same category as mine, but even then I don't wanna cheat. It feels like betrayal towards the people who take the time to organize this AND towards the other nominees. I'd feel totally pissed and sad if someone voted multiple times in Best Fantasy/Supernatural (which is the category my story is nominated for) for their own story but also if someone voted multiple times for MY story. If I win, I want to win fair and square.

So, in case people are trying to vote multiple times for my story (I don't want to sound cocky or anything, but just in case people do lol) DO NOT DO THAT. It doesn't make me happy!

For now, I wish everyone good luck and I do hope these cheaters will quit and get a fair job. ;)

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2010, 11:23:48 AM »

I think a lot of people forget that being nominated is an honour in and of itself.

There are nearly 2500 stories on Absolute Chaos, so for your story to be picked out of all of them is pretty big.
~Maple Jellybean~

TheDistantHeart

• Major Disruption
  • Would you risk it for a chocolate biscuit?
« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2010, 11:30:29 AM »

^That's why.

And as someone who doesn't got English as a native language, this is like a super huge mountain-high compliment and honour for me. ;D I actually squealed when I saw my story and name on the voting page. It was like an extra cofirmation it was true lol! But I didn't vote for myself because I do think the other nominated stories are better than mine. That would mean I would be lying to myself.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2010, 12:41:26 PM »

I agree, being nominated was enough to put a smile on my face!  There are so many fantastic stories on AC that it's a suprise to even see my stories in the nominations.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #85 on: November 05, 2010, 03:02:13 PM »

Could you possible do the voting the way you did nominations? Have people send them in to the felix account. You would see mulitiple votes from one person and be able to track the ip address for random new accounts.

or people could just stop voting for themselves multiple times. That would help too.  ;)

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #86 on: November 05, 2010, 04:43:27 PM »

I was thinking the same thing at first, but if you think about it, that would create a lot more work for Mare, Julilly, and Chaos - they would have to go through each and every PM, verify that it was by a unique user (not the same person with several alter egos - cause we all know people do that ;)), and then tabulate the votes by hand.  Not only would there be room for human error, but it would be very time-consuming.  Polls are a much quicker and easier option, if only people would just follow the rules and play fair.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #87 on: November 05, 2010, 04:45:56 PM »

I think a lot of people forget that being nominated is an honour in and of itself.

There are nearly 2500 stories on Absolute Chaos, so for your story to be picked out of all of them is pretty big.

That's so true.  And when everyone can only nominate one story per category, and there are SO many good stories to choose from, it's easy to assume you'll get overlooked in favor of better, more popular stories.  It IS an honor just to be nominated!
~Julie

luna610

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #88 on: November 05, 2010, 08:13:26 PM »

OK I'm really late and apparently I missed all the fun,but Mare you should totally do that! Hilarious!  :D
of which I will gladly add Cheaty cheaterson to anyone's name under their SN :)  lol
"Be yourself because the people that mind don't matter and the people that matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

luna610

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #89 on: November 05, 2010, 08:14:43 PM »

This is true.  How would you even feel good about yourself if you voted for yourself multiple times, or if you knew that your readers had?  It ruins the legitimacy of your win.

It's just like people who create alter egos just to leave themselves reviews.  What's the point??  Even if you were that desperate for feedback, how could it possibly give you any satisfaction when you know it's coming from YOU? LOL  Just look in the mirror and tell yourself, "I'm awesome" - much quicker and easier!

LMFAO!!! OMG, I'm dying right now! I love you ladies for cracking me up!
"Be yourself because the people that mind don't matter and the people that matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8