Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: First Person vs. Third Person  (Read 12944 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: First Person vs. Third Person
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2010, 11:57:22 AM »

That's true with the tangents.  I started another story over the summer in first person that I will hopefully go back to when I'm done with some of these other stories, and it was like that.  The first chapter is technically only one scene, but it's like ten pages long, so it doesn't fit with what I just said about Curtain Call at all LOL.  I guess it just depends on the characters, too.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Sevily

• Innocent Bystander
  • The drumbeat is the sound my heart makes.
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2010, 12:31:52 PM »

I too find that I'm much less wordy in the first person because I worry about trying to make the character sound realistic.  But have my write in the third person and I can describe everything in ornate detail haha

And luna610 - thanks for the feedback!  I was really worried about the scene turning into a pile of crap haha
"My best dreams and worst nightmares have the same people in them."

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2010, 12:59:12 PM »

I'm less wordy in first person too. Because I'm trying not to go too far with description, cause really, people aren't that descriptive lol. But sometimes I do send Nick on tangents too when I write him, I just see him as being that random lol.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2010, 01:39:03 PM »

I think it works with Nick because I think he's kind of babbly lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2010, 01:50:01 PM »

I think so too lol. I can just let him ramble for a bit before refocusing.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Mariah

• Major Disruption
  • Let go of today, tomorrow's another day...
    • http://www.absolutechaos.net/viewuser.php?uid=1274
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2010, 03:20:10 AM »

God, first person is my best friend. What I found most surprising about it was like it felt as if I was writing from a diary entry. Third is a little more challenging. You have be more general as opposed to first which breaks down the actions and feelings of the character. I can't write actions for the life of me. But normally a lot of my stories don't need a lot of action in the more general sense. I think a lot of first persons tend to be more human stories. Not knocking other stories with different points of view, just saying there's sort of difference IMO. Whether its a comedy, drama, mystery or whatever. Its a selective point of view but I feel like the reader can relate to the story more when the writer injects personality and spunk into the setting. It comes through more clear through the character's thoughts and feelings.
My Stories
Jack: FYI, he was the love of my life.
Will: You've said that about each Backstreet Boy at one time or another. -Will & Grace

shadesmaclean

• Major Disruption
  • The Spooky Door
    • The Spooky Door
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2010, 03:30:22 AM »

Let me start off by saying that I suck at first person narration.  At least I think I do.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Unless I'm actually writing about myself, I also have the same problem. I've only written one story in FP, and I think the only reason it turned out as well as it did was because I put a lot of effort into getting into the main character's shoes.

I have a hard time showing and not telling.

Of course, that's really the trick, no matter which perspective you take. Your choices of what to show vs tell is also critical in third person, though the dynamics are a lot different. First person does, I must admit, reduce the all-too-common temptation of Third Person (especially Omni) to try to tell too much by narrowing the perspective to the vantage of only one character.

We want to write worlds that we can control.  At least in the third person we can, because our characters don't have a mind of their own, we tell them how to feel and what to do.

Hmm... I guess that's not been my experience with Third Person. Sure, back when I started, I tended to treat my characters like video game characters, but after I started taking the time to actually get to know them, they started acting more and more of their own accord, like real people. Even revisiting my old stories, they've developed a tendency to surprise me by doing things their own way.

The difference in challenge is that Third Person is more about observation, whereas First Person is all about looking at the world through that character's eyes and speak with that character's voice. (Which is why I think Third Person works better for me, as it just flows more naturally in my own voice.) My only piece of advice, from my limited experience, is to try to spend a lot of time imagining yourself living the life of your character. The challenge level is often directly proportionate to how well you can relate to and think like your own character.
-Standing backwards, Scoot.

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2010, 07:24:07 AM »

My only piece of advice, from my limited experience, is to try to spend a lot of time imagining yourself living the life of your character. The challenge level is often directly proportionate to how well you can relate to and think like your own character.

Knowing your character is really important. Before I write a new character, I write an entire biography and usually will keep a "journal" in that character's perspective for a couple days to build up some backstory and get a feel for how the character acts.

Important to notice too is that every character should have a slightly unique vocabulary. For example, in my fan fics, Nick <i>very rarely</i> will use a big word. When he does, it's usually close-but-not-quite the word he was <i>trying</i> to use, or else someone makes a comment about him using it. Unless I'm trying to make a different perspective on him (like in Time Watcher, where he's actually much older than he appears), that's how Nick rolls. Nick tends to talk more in a sentence, too. He'll ramble. AJ uses a lot of swears - fuck is his favorite - and Brian tends to talk dorky - "ohmigawsh", "heck", etc. Howie and Kevin are my big-word users, because they're older, but Kevin uses more in a single sentence than Howie will use in a whole paragraph.

Stuff like that is really important to capture because no two people - even people who spend a lot of time together - will speak exactly the same way.

But then again, too, because they DO spend a lot of time together, they're also going to speak a little similarly. There's going to be certain phrases and figures of speech that they share - fake words they both use - slang they've picked up from each other, etc.

Tiny little things like that add IMMEASURABLY to the reality of a character whether it's first OR third person. But inner dialogue is really important to pay attention to when you're doing first person, because you HAVE to stick to the same speaking style as they speak aloud with throughout the whole story or it looses its authenticity. Ie., Nick can't be dumb when he talks, but a genius on the inside - unless you have a REASON for that - like he's hiding his inner intelligence.. . *snickers*

That said, I find first person narratives easiest because it lends the most creative opportunity. You guide your reader through this person's world and make them see from a new perspective. IMO, that's the true purpose of literature of any kind. :)
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

yorkielover88

« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2010, 12:05:53 PM »

Love what you just said! That is like crazy good stuff! Wow!

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2010, 06:19:05 PM »

Love what you just said! That is like crazy good stuff! Wow!

I had a writing professor in my freshman year that pointed out that people can make HUUUGE fact-checking errors and hardly anybody will notice it - but they'll notice if your character is acting "out of character" in a little way like vocabulary or some small detail (i.e., making your character afraid of water but have a scene where they're swimming, stuff like that). The little minute details like that are pose more of a threat to your story's authenticity than the BIG stuff that we all tend to focus on. :)

I really like the idea of that, because entire stories can be built on minute details and so many people overlook those and go whole hog at a big dramatic storyline.

Minute details were one of the major driving points behind my story Something Beautiful. I mean, yes, it had a big overlording storyline, but in the end what was the story really about? It was about Nick and Brian and the connection that exists there. That's what people are meant to come away with. Those minute details could've been set against almost any backdrop -- the storyline wasn't the part that made the story, it was the relationship.. .and that took working with minute details to build. :)

Love, love, love details!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2010, 07:15:30 PM »

^ Great advice, and I loved what you said about minute details.  I am one of those "big dramatic storyline" people and have had the problem of writing things for the sake of plot that don't fit the characters - having them make decisions and do things they wouldn't really do, just because I liked the idea of where it would take the story.  Live and learn... good characters should not be sacrificed for a plot device.

And you're absolutely right that some of the best stories come from some of the smallest moments.  I always mention this one, but Mare's "The Importance of Fly Fishing" is another great example of that.  And yet, I will always love big dramatic stories too.  They still need good characters to back them up, though, or no one will care about the drama.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2010, 10:53:40 PM »

LOL Don't get me wrong, I love the big dramatic storylines ,too -- Obviously, my writing reflects that -- but 90% of the story is in the details. That's all I'm saying. :)

shadesmaclean

• Major Disruption
  • The Spooky Door
    • The Spooky Door
« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2010, 03:59:34 AM »

I am one of those "big dramatic storyline" people and have had the problem of writing things for the sake of plot that don't fit the characters - having them make decisions and do things they wouldn't really do, just because I liked the idea of where it would take the story.  Live and learn... good characters should not be sacrificed for a plot device.

Agreed. You did a better, clearer, job of summing up what I was talking about in my last post, about treating story characters like video game characters, rather than letting them be themselves and go about things their own way. Dialogue is something I've always had to work hard at, because I've always had a considerable vocabulary, and had to teach myself how not to superimpose that on every character's speaking style. Anymore, I consider it very important to be able to "hear" my character speaking, in his/her own words, to at least some degree before I start writing dialogue for them.
-Standing backwards, Scoot.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2010, 04:10:55 AM »

Important to notice too is that every character should have a slightly unique vocabulary. For example, in my fan fics, Nick <i>very rarely</i> will use a big word. When he does, it's usually close-but-not-quite the word he was <i>trying</i> to use, or else someone makes a comment about him using it. Unless I'm trying to make a different perspective on him (like in Time Watcher, where he's actually much older than he appears), that's how Nick rolls. Nick tends to talk more in a sentence, too. He'll ramble. AJ uses a lot of swears - fuck is his favorite - and Brian tends to talk dorky - "ohmigawsh", "heck", etc. Howie and Kevin are my big-word users, because they're older, but Kevin uses more in a single sentence than Howie will use in a whole paragraph.

Though you've obviously chosen to stay as close to what you believe to be canon these same rules apply for those who write AU also.

Your AU characters will be completely convincing (even though they'd traditionally be considered out of character) as long as you mind the details and be consistent through the story. You can believe Nick as a doctor, or a scientist as long as he maintains the same qualities throughout. (Even writing this made me laugh. A doctor lol)
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2010, 06:52:48 AM »

Though you've obviously chosen to stay as close to what you believe to be canon these same rules apply for those who write AU also.

Your AU characters will be completely convincing (even though they'd traditionally be considered out of character) as long as you mind the details and be consistent through the story. You can believe Nick as a doctor, or a scientist as long as he maintains the same qualities throughout. (Even writing this made me laugh. A doctor lol)

:o Nick? A doctor? Dude, unless he's an OB-GYN I don't wanna go anywhere NEAR that hospital... LOL
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5