Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Featured Story of the month for April 2007 - Under My Skin by Mellz Bellz  (Read 19101 times)

Nijntje

• Minion of Mayhem
  • Some love is not really love at all..

I'll try to really have a read this week! ;D
Not every dream is supposed to come true
Some words are best unsaid
Some love is not really love at all
I keep everything I shared with you
And that's enough.. there's us..

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster

Two more questions  for you Mel.

Was there anytime while you were writing this that you had a total plot shift or went into another direction you never planned?

Are any of the characters based on real life people? (Besides any of the BSB lol)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion

Two more questions  for you Mel.

Was there anytime while you were writing this that you had a total plot shift or went into another direction you never planned?

Are any of the characters based on real life people? (Besides any of the BSB lol)

Good questions Mare! Thankfully my plot has stayed pretty much the same throughout the story although its just mushroomed out to a much larger scale than I'd imagined. But its funny about you asking if it every went into any other direction than I had planned cuz as my readers know, my characters often take over a chapter and things wind up going differently than planned, but somehow it works. Prolly the best example of this is orginally in the chapter where Nick agrees to give things another try with Alyssa, he was supposed to kind of just brush off Alyssa's concerns about where they were heading and kind of be a jerk about it. Yet, once I started writing it next thing I know he's agreeing to at least try which actually kind of works out better for the story. I guess its a good sign that I have such strong characters LOL.

As far as if any of the characters are based on real people- absolutely! In fact I think just about all the non BSB characters come from some form of a person I know. I suppose you can say Alyssa is based off me on a very basic level. Italian descent... Substitute teacher just graduated college... From Long island lol But as far as being in her position w/ an ex I've never been there, so thats all creative.

Meg, Alyssa's older sister is based off a friend of mine that I meant through BSB years ago and we've gotten REALLY close. She's actually younger than me, but we're practically sisters. Like Megan in the story, she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer at age 16, so that part of the story is true. Today, she's doing great at 21!

Izzy is also based off a friend of mine that used to be in my BSB RP group where the ver basic ideas of the story stemmed from. Somehow back then it turned out to be a BSB/O-town RP and she used to play Ashley's g/f. If you REALLY read carefully you can argue that Tristan is a caricature of Ashley in some ways.

I do have a younger sister named Stephanie only she is 14 and although she's definitely not as into much crap as Stephanie in the story she is a bit of a spoiled brat, so I guess some inspiration comes from that.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website

OKay readers of Under My Skin time to plug this one!

Give us one reason that anyone who has not read this story should.

OK, I have to say that you should not be turned off by the fact that romance is one of the genres listed in the summary. THis is (so far) an absolutely wonderful story. Like I was trying to say to Mel earlier, I love it because she is telling a love story and yet she's not. This story is really the story about what happens after the love story. The sappy romantic cheesy crap that I love to write so much where you get to the end and they FINALLY get together... that's where her story sort of begins. It explores relationships and all the different sides to them. There is a lot of pain and angst in the relationship that has gone sooo wrong and she does a remarkable job at making you see both sides to the arguement. As I read it (and not fast enough) I have really been pulled in different directions and honestly cannot take a side. THey are both right and both wrong. I love the internal conflict and Mel has done it in a way that makes you love both the main characters and want the best for both of them even if you don't know what that is. I love that because I don't hate either of the characters which happens a lot in stoies about break ups. I think it's hard to make them not totally one-sided.  Well done Mel!!!

hope that made at least a little sense. I guess my point is, read the story cause it's really really good! 
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster

Good answers Mel. Glads to hear your friend won her battle with cancer too. That's a great thing!

Here's another question :)

if you could change one thing about your story, what if anything would it be?

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster

OK, I have to say that you should not be turned off by the fact that romance is one of the genres listed in the summary. THis is (so far) an absolutely wonderful story. Like I was trying to say to Mel earlier, I love it because she is telling a love story and yet she's not. This story is really the story about what happens after the love story. The sappy romantic cheesy crap that I love to write so much where you get to the end and they FINALLY get together... that's where her story sort of begins. It explores relationships and all the different sides to them. There is a lot of pain and angst in the relationship that has gone sooo wrong and she does a remarkable job at making you see both sides to the arguement. As I read it (and not fast enough) I have really been pulled in different directions and honestly cannot take a side. THey are both right and both wrong. I love the internal conflict and Mel has done it in a way that makes you love both the main characters and want the best for both of them even if you don't know what that is. I love that because I don't hate either of the characters which happens a lot in stoies about break ups. I think it's hard to make them not totally one-sided.  Well done Mel!!!

hope that made at least a little sense. I guess my point is, read the story cause it's really really good! 

Aww, you'd make a really great promo agent! You should hire her Mel! :D

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion

Good answers Mel. Glads to hear your friend won her battle with cancer too. That's a great thing!

Here's another question :)

if you could change one thing about your story, what if anything would it be?

Definitely the whole beginning... I think you can tell by reading it that I was unsure of where exactly I was going with it. Nick isn't even introduced in the present time until Chapter 7! (He is shown in flashbacks before this though.) I just think it drags a little too much there. After that point it really picks up but I think a lot of readers might give up on it.

Haha and yea I should hire Kelly as my press agent lol Or my self-esteem coach LOL

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website

yeah, I would make a good guru I think...   -lol. I only praise the praiseworthy stories   ;D
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster

Okay here's another question for you:

Have you ever changed your mind about a scene or a chapter in this story AFTER you have already posted it? And if so, did you leave it as is or change it?

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion

Okay here's another question for you:

Have you ever changed your mind about a scene or a chapter in this story AFTER you have already posted it? And if so, did you leave it as is or change it?

Ehh not really... I mean there have been little details I wish I'd thought of earlier or improvements, but not to the point where I'd go back to change anything. I don't like doing that because I'm afraid it might confuse readers. I like to just concentrate on the progressing chapters. I don't like going backwards.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster

Another question for you Mel. I keep forgetting to post this so I figured while I was here I would actually remember, and yay I did lol

This is a tough one which probably requires some heavy thought on your part, or maybe not? lol

Can you tell us what your favorite scene to write in this story is and maybe put up a small excerpt of it for us all to read and explain what you like most about it.

All of you who have read this and have a favorite scene should do the same. Show Mel what your favorite part of the story is.

Okay off to school! Have a great day all!'

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion

That's a REALLY good and tough question Mare... I'm not sure if I can pick just one scene. It changes all the time for me. I'd REALLY have to think about that one.

Just a quick note... i know I've been MIA for the past week and a half... Long story, but my internet died and I've been on and off the phone between Verizon and Linksys to try and fix the DSL and apparently neither one can help me nor can they send someone to look at it. So basically we're at the point now that we are most likely going to switch to Optimum Online. Problem is I'm not sure yet how soon they can start to install it, so I might noty be around for a bit. One of our computers gets some acsess, but someone else is usually always on it.

I'm going to try to still write on my laptop through word, but I'm not sure about updates since I'd have to burn it to a CD and then try to get on our main computer and risk someone seeing them and my hidden life as a BSB fan fic writer be revealed LOL I'm going to see what I can do though. i miss everyone!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster

Sorry to hear about your computer problems. That sucks! Hope everything gets worked out!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster

Well since we're coming to the end of the month, if anyone has any last thoughts about Under My Skin feel free to post. I know Mel's computer isn't working which sucks but if anyone else has anything to say, last comments about the story or feedback etc... now would be the time.

:)

Chrissy

• Captain of Commotion
  • the author formerly known as filiklepto

Final words time!  I just want to reiterate that I'm really proud of Mel for getting selected as featured story.  She is a great writer, and I always get so excited when I get the e-mail telling me that her story has been updated.  :3

I can't select any particular passage as my favorite because there are so many well-written ones that choosing just one wouldn't do the fic proper justice.  But the point is, if you haven't read UMS yet, then definitely do so.

Also, great choice for FSotM, Mare.
my muse is such a lush
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4