Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Featured Story of the month for April 2007 - Under My Skin by Mellz Bellz  (Read 19100 times)

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website

totally off topic, but I was just talking to someone the other day about the featured story of the month and they said they would like to see a shorter story done because then they might be able to read it... I thought that didn't sound like a bad idea so I thought I would mention it here. Maybe if we had one featured that was a little shorter it might get a few more readers and a little more discussion going?  Just a thought?

***To get back to the topic, I love this story. Mell did (is doing) a wonderful job! Congrats Mel and hope you get the internet situation resolved soon! We miss ya!
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster

Hrmm... define short? Because to me a short story is one chapter. To others anything under 50 chapters is short. lol

The thing is they do have an entire month to read. I just think people need excuses not to read stuff lol

If it's a good story, it should suck you in, no matter how many chapters it is. But, I was thinking about having a short story themed month maybe. Feature a bunch of one shot type stories perhaps? Somewhere along the line. What do you guys think of that?

Maybe in February lol short month...short stories? lmao
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion

Managed to sneak on for a few minutes and I just wanted to say a HUGE thank you for selecting UMS as a featured story. Its inspired me SOOO much! Thank you everyone for your comments. I get my internet back May 8th I think, so look for more to come from me!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster

you're welcome Mel. I'm glad we helped inspire you! :)

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Steph

• Minion of Mayhem
  • Trying to forget; the pain's still there.
    • Facebook

I know how you feel about not having computer access, Mel. The only time I can really hit up AC and the forum is when I'm at work, LOL.

Dean & Sam Winchester.
Hunters. Protectors. Survivors. Family.

Teri

• Minion of Mayhem
  • *giggles*
    • Drifting-In-Between-Dreams A Place to Lose Reality if Only for a Moment

Mel oh Mel where for art thou Mel! *giggles* we've been playing IM and email tag lately and now text message tag! LOL I miss talking to ya every day! Anyways yeah UMS honestly I can't say enough good things about it mainly because its the story that LED me to AC. (Thanks to mel posting it on BSB writers union) But yeah as beta reader I get alot of the spoilers and new chapter stuff, and I know I'm not the only one but it's really fun.

Being of a selected few that gets to see creativity in progress, truly it's an honor to be beta reader to this story and well all of Mel's stories!
Spike: "Hey big guy I'm going to need some new wheels the other one ended up in the...drink..."
Angel: "Spike.... just walk away"
Spike: "You're a..."
Angel: "Don't say it!"
Spike: "You're a bleeding puppet!"

bananaaddict

• Captain of Commotion
    • The Original Nick Chicks

Just wanted to give props to Mel!  I've been reading this story since she first posted it, and I love it.  I would say hurry up and update, but I'm not the queen of updates either so....  but I am still addicted to the story.  :)

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion

Just wanted to give props to Mel!  I've been reading this story since she first posted it, and I love it.  I would say hurry up and update, but I'm not the queen of updates either so....  but I am still addicted to the story.  :)

Aww... Thanks so much Rose! You really have been there from the beginning! I'm trying to get an update out this week *crosses fingers*

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster

featured story author survey

I just thought of this and since a few months have passed since, I am posting this in every thread, so authors fll this out when you get the chance. It might help people who are searching the forum and looking for something good to read. Sorry i'm using (this story) and being so generic but like I said everyone is going to get the identical survey to fill out when their turn pops up and i'm in lazy mode lmao

thanks!

Moprah! hehe

1) Tell us one thing about your story that no one else knows?

2) How long did it take you to write this entire story?

3) Give us a summary different from the one you have posted on AC, with a few more spoilers to make people tune in.

4) If you could cast this story as a movie who would play the main roles and why?

5) Have you ever thought of giving up on the story and if you did what made you continue to work on it?

6) What was your writing process? (Outline, make it up as you go along, the characters wrote it, I am Tonja and plagerized lol)

7) Who was your favorite character in this story and why?

8) You had to know this was coming, who was your least favorite?

9) Are all the boys in this one? If not why did you choose to exclude them?

10) If we like this story...then we'd love what story? (Could be by you or someone else) and obviously tell us why lol

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion

Yay you know how much I love your surveys Mare! Is this just going to be in the thread so readers can check it out to see if they want to read each story or will they be posted somewhere? Just wondering! Anywhoo here we go!

1) Tell us one thing about your story that no one else knows?
Hmm... That NO ONE else knows? That's kind of hard...Okay i got it! The ver basic elements of the story in the past (Nick cheating on Alyssa with Katie while recording in Sweden, her getting pregnant etc) actually came from the soap opera of a plot we had going on in my BSB RP group at least six years ago. Orignally I was writing another fic based off all that, but then I gave up on it and stopped writing. Finally in Feb of 2006 when I decided to return to writing fan fics I wanted to rewrite my old story, but of course update it. Hence how I incoporated all the backstory on Alyssa and Nick.

2) How long did it take you to write this entire story?
Well, I'm still working on it, but I started it in Feb 2006 and I'm trying to finish it by the end of summer *crosses fingers* Problem is I keep having to split chapters so it takes longer. So far its been like a year ad a half which is the longest I've stood by ANY story.

3) Give us a summary different from the one you have posted on AC, with a few more spoilers to make people tune in.
Oh god... I'm really bad at summaries, but I'll try.

When Alyssa Martinelli has a chance encounter with her ex boyfriend and fiancee Nick Carter and they decide to remain friends, Alyssa never expects any problems to arise. All of a sudden, old feelings begin to arise and things quickly grow complicated the closer they get to each other. Only problem is that the both of them are two different people now, each wanting two very differet things. Can they make things work again between them?

Ok yea that was pretty lame, but ehh its one of those stories that you just have to read lol Its too broad for a summary.

4) If you could cast this story as a movie who would play the main roles and why?
You know its funny because when I read a fic I can say Oh ok if this was a movie I'd have this person play that character... But seriously in my own stories I really don't do that. I write my own characters as just original people, so this is a REALLY hard question for me. Obviously Nick would play himself lol. Alyssa? That's hard... Can't think of many brunette actresses the right age sadly. Maybe Jennifer Love Hewitt or Ann Hathaway or maybe Jamie Lynn Sigler? Lol I'm open for suggestions!

5) Have you ever thought of giving up on the story and if you did what made you continue to work on it?
At times I feel like trashing it, especially when I get very busy and don't have the time to write. Then when I come back it sounds just so silly. Usually rereading the story helps me fall back in love with it or focusing on my future plans for it.

6) What was your writing process? (Outline, make it up as you go along, the characters wrote it, I am Tonja and plagerized lol)
Ok, you got me! LOL I'm Tonja in disguise lol j/k Seriously I'm a big outliner, but I mostly do it in my head (sometimes on paper) I like to work from the inside out. So first I thnk up of my main events and then link them together with smaller events. Eventually everything fits together like a puzzle and it flows pretty good from arc to arc in the story. That's how it works for me at least.

7) Who was your favorite character in this story and why?
Obviously both Alyssa and Nick. I myself am amazed with the chemistry the two of them have. Its so much fun writing playful coversations between the two. The dialogue just seems to flow really easy between them and I think the readers really connect. Of course I love all my characters though. I've been told that as a whole all my characters are pretty well developed, so to me they all seem like real people.

You had to know this was coming, who was your least favorite?
Again... This is REALLY hard because I love all my characters lol. Even my villans (which in this story I don't really have any. I think that the biggest villans in this story are the flaws that each of the main characters need to face unless you consider Stephanie and Katie villans) aren't like completely bad I feel. Stephanie is actually fun to write cuz in some ways she reminds me of my own sister (only not as slutty and messed up) and with Katie even though she's the "other woman" I tried to write her story as sympatheticall y as possible, so she wasn't just some girl at a bar that Nick slept with and got pregnant like 47567 million other stories. I think most of my readers prolly still hate her because thats what we're conditioned to do, but she's a lil different I guess if I had to pick Howie and Brian are the hardest characters for me to write personally, so that's why they are hardly in the story.

9) Are all the boys in this one? If not why did you choose to exclude them?

They are all in the story at some point or another. Nick obviously is the main character and the story mostly focuses on him. All the other guys make their cameos as well though. AJ at one point dated Alyssa's sister and he pops up every now and then and hangs out with Nick and Alyssa. Kevin is playing a very integral part as of right now since I'm getting into how his leaving the group may have impacted Nick. Howie and Brian like I said are the hardest to write. Howie shows up in a scene where they all go out one night clubbing when Alyssa visits Nick in LA and Brian has one conversation with Nick after Kevin announces that he and his wife are having a baby and he senses that Nick is taking it hard cuz it brings up bad memories of Katie and her baby. Got to work on getting the two of them in more... LOL

10) If we like this story...then we'd love what story? (Could be by you or someone else) and obviously tell us why lol

Another toughie... Typically a lot of my readers also tend to like Teri's Nothings Impossible Series (Accidentally in Love, Somewhere I Belong, Always Something) I guess in some ways they are similair (besides he fact that both our mai characters are named Alyssa LOL) Like we have I guess similair thematic elements and styles. We both try to incoporate some humor into what we write. And of course we beta each others work so that definitely has influence. So yea... If you like Teri's stories, you'll like mine only mine have a lot less sex in them LOL

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster

Thanks for filling this out :) I think for now it's just going to stay in the thread but once everyone fills them out (meaning the people who have been author already) i'll post them all up in one thread and sticky it at the top. So this way people can use this as a reference when looking for something to read.

Teri

• Minion of Mayhem
  • *giggles*

Another toughie... Typically a lot of my readers also tend to like Teri's Nothings Impossible Series (Accidentally in Love, Somewhere I Belong, Always Something) I guess in some ways they are similair (besides he fact that both our mai characters are named Alyssa LOL) Like we have I guess similair thematic elements and styles. We both try to incoporate some humor into what we write. And of course we beta each others work so that definitely has influence. So yea... If you like Teri's stories, you'll like mine only mine have a lot less sex in them LOL

I heart you mel!!!! hehe Yeah urs has less sex (what can I say I like writing sex scenes LOL!!!!) But what's REALLY funny is that it was UMS that got me to start posting on AC. The UMS and NI readers like both our stories because I'd like to think that both plotlines are very well thought out and well executed. (Mel's told me what she has planned and it's going to be really dramatic but really good) I love UMS just because I love the complexity Mel puts to the characters.

At first glance Alyssa seems like she could be a Mary sue, but at a second glance you realize she's just as complex if not moreso than Nick. She's a classically angsty chick and that's what I love about her.

As far as Mel's Nick character, I want to slap him silly alot of times but that's also what makes him a good character, he has depth and a ton of neurosies about relationships.

Spike: "Hey big guy I'm going to need some new wheels the other one ended up in the...drink..."

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion

Haha... How much do I owe you for being my official spokesperson Teri lol j/k. Thanks a lot for your kind words, but if you keep it up I may start to get a big ego LOl. I really like how you described Nick... He has "neuroses about relationships" lol I kina like that actually!

Awesome idea Mare. It'll be like a one stop place for anyone who is bored and lookng for a good fiction to read!

Teri

• Minion of Mayhem
  • *giggles*

Hehe go on get a big ego!!! LOL Blah I'm bored have to work in an hour and I wanna write but I'm stuck again lol
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]