Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Random Question  (Read 4823 times)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
Random Question
« on: December 22, 2010, 06:03:13 AM »

I am curious about this because I have had it happen to me recently. Have any of you had someone you know (that is not a BSB fan) read your fanfics? And if they did, what was their reaction? I keep forgetting my facebook and twitter are connected so I post links when I update and have had people tell me they read my work. So far its been positive, my manager told me I am good at descriptions. So have any of you let or had people read your work?

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
Re: Random Question
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 06:16:59 AM »

My mom used to avidly read my fan fictions - back in the day of the original Planet Backstreet and The Legend of the Bone Ranger, lol - but other than you guys nobody's really read it recently. I let my sister read a chapter of Something Beautiful but in the interest of finding out if she thought the storyline would work if I adapted it for an original fiction. I'd changed names and a couple situation type things in the chapter she read though so I don't know if it counts.
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 07:01:48 AM »

The only people who've read my stuff is other fanfic writers/readers.  I don't link my Facebook and Twitter because I don't want my other friends/family/work colleagues reading my stuff.

I remember once updating my Facebook by mistake saying something like "next chapter posted" and my friend wanted to know what I was on about.  I told her I was writing a fanfic and she had no idea what it was.  I quickly deleted my post and made some silly little explanation up and she never asked anything else about it.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 07:08:11 AM »

I also had my co worker told me she read Tales From The Drive Thru and thought it was hilarious. Then my manager said he was reading Not The Other
Guy and enjoyed the scene where Nick quit his job at the video game store...he said he could picture it as it happened and that I made a nice visual for him. So that made me feel nice lol

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 07:14:28 AM »

OMG aren't you bothered that they read your stuff?  You're braver than me!  I haven't got the confidence to show anyone my writing, well apart from posting it here :)

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 07:26:07 AM »

I would NEVER let my coworkers or my family read my current fan-fiction. I'd probably puff into smoke. I barely have the balls to let them read my essays or my original fiction snippets when they ASK to read them, lol. It's not that I don't like my writing or that I'm not confident about it, it's just that I don't know where that line is where they won't judge me or be thrown off by my writing. The first time my dad read a story where a character swore, I about putzed. He did, too. I was like "Thats what the character would SAY there" and he's like "I get that but this is your writing and I've never heard you swear" and I feel like he doesn't understand that it's not ME swearing, its a CHARACTER, you know? Or pervy jokes that my characters would tell, I'd die if he saw some of those. LOL... I dunno, its weird.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 07:42:53 AM »

Like I said, I didn't even ask them to read, they found the links on facebook. That, and one time I gave my coworker at Taco Bell the link to Tales From The Drive Thru because he was the one who got stuck in the bathroom and I wrote about it. I gotta ask him if he read it LOL. I just feel confident enough to share I suppose. 

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 08:43:40 AM »

You are so much braver than I am, Tracy! I would be mortified if I found out any of my co-workers read my fics! That's why I never actually link to AC through my twitter, because my co-workers know about it. They know that I write since I had told them about NaNoWiMo, but they have no idea about the BSB piece of it.

Sometimes I will ask my boyfriend to beta read chapters of Running Up That Hill for me, just to help out with grammar and possible awkward sentences. But he often comments on the content and thinks some of the stuff the guys do (like Howie being obsessed with shopping IRL) is weird.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 10:02:22 AM »

I would be mortified too.  The only people who have read anything of mine are my sister and my mom, and that was a way long time ago.  When I first started writing fanfic, I was 14, still living at home and sharing a room with my sister, so it was hard to keep it a secret from her; she knew pretty much all along, and she read some of my early stuff, but then she stopped liking BSB and just made fun of me for it.  I think my mom read a little of my very first fanfic when she found out about my site, but I was embarrassed and told her to please not read anymore, and she said she wouldn't.  To this day, I honestly don't think she does... I think she would have mentioned it by now if she did.  Also, I have a good site counter that tracks IPs and locations, so I can see if anyone from where I live visits my site LOL.

My friends don't know anything about fanfic, and I plan to keep it that way.  Honestly, even though I have this goal of someday writing a novel that could be published, I'm not sure how I'd ever have the guts to actually publish it.  I'd probably do it on the DL and not tell anyone except you guys LOL... which kind of defeats the purpose.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 12:37:44 PM »

I would NEVER let my coworkers or my family read my current fan-fiction. I'd probably puff into smoke. I barely have the balls to let them read my essays or my original fiction snippets when they ASK to read them, lol. It's not that I don't like my writing or that I'm not confident about it, it's just that I don't know where that line is where they won't judge me or be thrown off by my writing. The first time my dad read a story where a character swore, I about putzed. He did, too. I was like "Thats what the character would SAY there" and he's like "I get that but this is your writing and I've never heard you swear" and I feel like he doesn't understand that it's not ME swearing, its a CHARACTER, you know? Or pervy jokes that my characters would tell, I'd die if he saw some of those. LOL... I dunno, its weird.

I used to have a hard time making my characters swear as I don't really swear much in reality, only the odd "shit" here and there, lol.  Now I find it easy to type the words I don't usually say :)

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 01:26:31 PM »

Exactly, LOL. Like my stories are so different than my personality IRL... Nick and AJ are both total pervs with potty mouths!! LOL I'm closest to how I type Brian's dialogue I guess. The odd swear here and there, mostly innocent, yet capable of saying something off beat and shocking everyone around him... Thaaaaaat's mee-eeee :)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 11:55:55 PM »

I must be the brave one cause I don't care who reads as long as someone enjoys my work! My co workers all know about Figured You Out, sometimes I get good ideas...like torturing Nick with McDonald's food. That came from this guy I work with at Taco Bell. My best friend reads my work as well, she actually helps me with dialogue in Still The One, Not The Other Guy, and my Clone series. So I guess it just makes me happy someone is reading like I said.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 01:04:11 AM »

It's good to be brave!  I wish I was.  Sometimes I think if I wrote more of the rom-com kind of stories, I might be more willing to share them.  Like 00Carter... I would let people read that, if I thought they would get it.  But my typical stories... no way.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 03:23:21 AM »

Wow 00Carter. I think that was one of the first stories I ever read on AC and it is still one of my favorites.....

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 07:03:55 AM »

I think the main reason I won't is because it's the BSB. Most people think I'm  :crazy: then I explain what fan fiction is. They think its weird to write stories about people that exist. I don't understand why they think its so nuts but  :shrug: ... But I think thats why I think it's so weird. My OF stories I wouldn't have a problem with my coworkers reading, most of the time anyways.
Pages: [1] 2