Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Author Topic: ok, another question... about 1st person  (Read 1923 times)

yorkielover88

ok, another question... about 1st person
« on: December 29, 2010, 04:37:01 PM »

When writing in first person should / do you write in past tense or uh... how do you say this correctly... current tense? lol.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: ok, another question... about 1st person
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 04:43:36 PM »

It's really up to you.  Past tense is what most stories are written in, as if the narrator is telling a story that has already happened, but some writers use present tense, as if the story is playing out right now.  I think present tense sounds less awkward in first person than in third.  It's still not my favorite, but I've used it before for short stories.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 04:45:36 PM »

I tend to write in past tense in first person, when you're talking about an event that happened in the past. Like.. "When I walked into the living room, I saw Nick sitting on the couch." Because that is in the past and part of the events the character is retelling.

But I will use present tense when it's something the character could still be feeling/thinking, even if it relates to what happened in the past So.. "When I walked into the living room, I saw Nick sitting on the couch. That guy is so lazy."

Who knows if that's right LOL but that's what I do.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 04:49:52 PM »

^ That's what I do too.  I think that's right.  It makes sense, anyway, cause first person is like someone telling a story... so when you're telling something that has already happened, you use past tense, but when you say something about yourself or someone else that's still true, you say it in present.  It sounds a little awkward sometimes to switch back and forth, but it would also sound awkward to say "That guy was so lazy."  Well, is he not lazy anymore??  Or did he die, or what? LOL  Why isn't he lazy now?
~Julie

yorkielover88

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 04:53:07 PM »

yeah see like.... I'm working with Sapphire on a fan fic where I am useing 1st person for the first time and I find myself wanting to do a little of both.

Like... writing them watching someone say something to someone else but then writing what they are thinking.

exp:

I watched as Nick walked right up to Kevin. They where almost nose to nose.

Nick, with a clenched jaw, then said, "When are you gonna grow some balls and take off the leash Kristin has you on?"

Did he really just say that to Kevin?

I was blown away by Nick's braveness.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 04:55:52 PM »

That sounds fine.  "Were," not "where" - otherwise, looks good.  The tense is perfect.
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 09:05:45 PM »

Yup, tense looks good to me too! That's pretty much exactly what I would have done. Because "Did he really just say that to Kevin?" is the thought the character would have had at the time, at least in my mind. Makes sense to me!
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

alota_cookin

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 11:08:36 PM »

I mix the tenses, too. I primarily write in past but put a lot of present in, too...dependin g on what flows the best. Usually, I just go with what I think sounds right and then hope everyone else thinks it does, too. LOL!