Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Author Topic: FS for February: Shades of Gray by Summer  (Read 4530 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
FS for February: Shades of Gray by Summer
« on: January 31, 2011, 09:36:52 PM »

Hello and Happy (almost) February to everyone!

This month we will be discussing Summer's Shades of Gray. Feel free to read along during the month and to comment as we go along.

Let's start out by reading chapters 1 - 10 for this week.

Post any comments or questions you may have for Summer right in this thread.

Here's a link to the story:

http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10077&warning=4

Happy reading!! :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: FS for February: Shades of Gray by Summer
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 09:37:36 PM »

1) Tell us one thing about your story that no one else knows?

Gosh, this is a hard one because I don’t want to give anything away lol. Hm…I’d have to say no one else knows that the direction of the story changed from how I had it originally planned out. Sometimes my fingers don’t cooperate with my brain and something other than what I wanted comes out. In my original notes, Brielle was going to leave AJ after the whole ‘drunken night he left her at Nick’s’ debacle and move back to New York with Lily instead of just visiting, but that’s not quite how it turned out. AJ would have had to work a lot harder to get her back.

2) How long did it take you to write this entire story?

It’s still taking me time. So far, it’s taken me about eight months to get where I am, but it’s not finished so it may take another eight months. Though hopefully not lol. Holiday times slow me down, but now that it’s over I can focus more on it like I want to.

3) Give us a summary different from the one you have posted on AC, with a few more spoilers to make people tune in.

Brielle Madison and AJ McLean were two strangers until their worlds collided. Two months later, she’s alone, homeless and pregnant. When her best friend takes matters into her own hands and AJ McLean reenters her life, he rescues hers and brings her into his world of fame, luxury and love. But when his hidden demons surface, who’s really the one saving who?

4) What made you decide to make AJ your lead character?

He usually is the lead characters because out of the four (five) Backstreet Boys, he’s the one I tend to gravitate towards and I feel like I can portray him a little better than the other guys.

5) Have you ever thought of giving up on the story and if you did what made you continue to work on it?

Not yet I haven’t lol. During the holidays I did think I may be too tired to work on it, but then I just reread it and I feel that inspiration come back. Hopefully it doesn’t go away because I would love to have it finished. I have so many dedicated readers and I’d hate to disappoint them.

6) What was your writing process?

Well I tend to start fics with just writing whatever comes to mind. Maybe a fly by the seat of your pants kind of style. But as the storyline began to develop then I would jot down notes and ideas. And when something comes to me I make sure to write it down. I don’t really do outlines, but I do make sure to look over my notes as I write so I include everything I need to. Not ever chapter is as thought out as others, but I do have a general idea of where each one is going and each one leads toward the final outcome that I have planned, or tentatively thought out. Though sometimes my fingers take a life of their own and then I have to reassess things lol.

7) Who was your favorite character in this story and why?

I think Lily is my favorite character. She’s such a good friend to Brielle and she tends to get a little motherly in making sure her friend is taken care of and what not. And she always has her back no matter what decisions Brielle makes that she agrees/disagrees with. Plus, she has a bit of a fiery personality which I can relate to the most.

8 ) You had to know this was coming, who was your least favorite?

LOL I think the same as everyone else; Renee. She is really not a good person and she tries her hardest to really mess things up for both Brielle and Alex. She lies and she deceives and she has more tricks up her sleeve than a magician.

9) Are all the boys in this one? If not why did you choose to exclude them?

Um, Nick is in it a little more than the rest, but they all do make appearances. For me it’s easier to write them one or two at a time, because I try hard to keep things realistic and personalities the same and it can be a little hard to write that many people at one time. But as the fic goes along they will continue to make appearances.

10) If we like this story...then we'd love what story? (Could be by you or someone else) and obviously tell us why lol     

Well, if you like this one then you’d probably love my other fics, seeing as they’re my writing style. As for other authors, that’s a tough one because I don’t like to compare myself to anyone else. There are so many brilliant writers and if I start comparing then I get too harsh on my own work and begin to second guess myself. I am definitely my own worst critic lol. But probably any romance/drama that’s well developed and thought out, and not rushed would fit the bill.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

AJBrianFan

• Innocent Bystander
  • My Boys <3
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 11:04:48 PM »

You know I LOVE this story. lol AJ fics are my thing.

How and why did you decide to make Brielle pregnant instead of AJ just somehow finding her again? Does that make sense? LOL
*Mykal-Ann or MA*

"Life is just." - AJ ;D

CHECK OUT MY AJ FIC HERE! ;D (Last Update: 12/2)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 04:55:46 AM »

I love this story, I'm a bit behind with my reading though, but intend to get all caught up soon :)

colorguard_diva

• Major Disruption
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 07:11:11 PM »

Summer, I like this story and I need to get updated. I started it and then life got in the way. I hope to have some questions for you soon.

summer

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 08:32:36 PM »

You know I LOVE this story. lol AJ fics are my thing.

How and why did you decide to make Brielle pregnant instead of AJ just somehow finding her again? Does that make sense? LOL

Aww thank you! :)

Well I've wanted to write a pregnant/baby story for a long time now and it's never seemed to work out. So when the inspiration came for the fic, I felt like it would be a really good storyline and there'd be a lot of different ideas and ways I could go with it. I wanted it a little different than the usual girl meets boy and I hope I achieved that.

summer

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 08:33:40 PM »

Thanks so much, guys! I can't wait to see what your questions are. :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 05:36:58 PM »

Hello! hope you are all enjoying the story thus far.

This week, let's continue with chapters 11 - 20.

Here are some more questions for you Summer

1) Tell us about this set of chapters. In your mind what was the hardest part to write and the easiest.

2) At this point in the story, did you know how things were going to turn out?

3) Were any of these character based on people you know in real life? What about yourself?

4) What made you decide to have Brielle living in New York before moving to LA?

5) How difficult was it for you to write about AJ's drinking and drug issues?

summer

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 07:31:31 PM »

1) Tell us about this set of chapters. In your mind what was the hardest part to write and the easiest.

The hardest part to write would have to have been writing about AJ drinking again. I hate to see him in that kind of place in his life and having to write it out and create him in that manner was very difficult for me. I liked that it made me work as a writer and forced me out of my comfort zone, but it was difficult to do.
The easiest would be making Renee horrible and conniving. Once I got into her character, it just sort of flowed and her bitchy attitude and hatred toward Brielle simply oozed out of her and I didn't have to struggle with forcing it or thinking it was awkward or not believable.

2) At this point in the story, did you know how things were going to turn out?

Yes and no. I knew she and AJ were going to grow close, but I was still toying with the idea of them not getting together quite like they did. And I had a few ideas I had wanted to do with Brielle moving back to New York, but my fingers didn't want to cooperate and it didn't work out that way. Just like people change and adapt in real life, characters can do the same in a fic (they seem to take on a life of their own), so I try to just let it flow and adapt to what that idea might be. I like to think I'm flexible with my fics and nothing is set in stone until it's on the paper and posted.

3) Were any of these character based on people you know in real life? What about yourself?

Sometimes I may throw in a character with a very small part that I have based off a friend, but I usually keep to original characters, unless they're real people (like the guys or their family). It's just easier that way because then you can change them and mold them to how you see fit for the story and not on the kind of personality your friend (or yourself) has. I do find I write my main characters as blondes, but that's just because I prefer blonde hair over brunette.

4) What made you decide to have Brielle living in New York before moving to LA?

I wanted her and AJ apart and not have a chance to run into each other. I also didn't want her to know who he was and having her in a big city and not around a lot of media was a sure fire way for that to happen. LA seemed too Hollywood and New York came across as more realistic and nitty gritty, which was what I saw for Brielle in the beginning.

5) How difficult was it for you to write about AJ's drinking and drug issues?

Boy I think I kind of answered this one up there lol. It was really hard to write, especially because I hate to see him spiraling downward like that. And knowing it's a real struggle he deals with every day and I'm writing about it, made me feel a little uneasy. But I think struggling with it did help me to not think of it as just drama in a story, but as a real problem that people face and I didn't take it lightly one bit.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 03:13:30 PM »

Hello! And happy belated Valentine's Day to you all!

It's time to start reading the next set of chapters so this week let's read chapters 21 - 30

Some more questions for you Summer:

1) Tell us what are some of the most important things to look for in this set of chapters.

2) Do you have a favorite line or part that really sticks out in your mind? Not just for this set of chapters but for the entire story in general?

3) What was the easiest thing about writing Brielle and AJ's relationship? And what was the hardest part?

4) Did you ever find yourself taking sides with one character or another when they had their disagreements?

luna610

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 10:39:38 AM »

Just want to say that this is a great story! I'm a bit behind but I'm going to catch up especially with this being the featured story and all :)
"Be yourself because the people that mind don't matter and the people that matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

luna610

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 08:50:57 PM »

So today I decided to catch up and I couldn't stop reading! This isn't the type of story I would usually go for but AJBrianFan suggested it to me and I really enjoy it. I know that you were worried about the drinking problem, but I think you do an excellent job portraying that. Sometimes it can get either too repetitive, unrealistic, or just in bad taste...but not the case with this. I think you make it seem very realistic and with the issues he was having, I can imagine he'd reach the breaking point!

I also love the relationship that AJ and Nick have. It's really sweet.

One question: In writing Laurel's character...di d you have Lauren in mind?
"Be yourself because the people that mind don't matter and the people that matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 04:22:49 PM »

The last full week of February is upon us already. Time to finish up Shades of Gray with chapters 31 - 36.

Summer, what was best part about writing this story for you?

How did you feel when it came to an end? Was it hard for you to give up your characters?

If you chose to write an alternative ending, what would it be?

Overall, is there anything you regret about this story?

What was your absolute favorite line or thought if you have one in the entire story. Something that sticks in your mind as being overly profound or clever?

For everyone else, why don't you go ahead and tell us what was your favorite chapter or just favorite thing about this story in general!

summer

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 07:12:59 PM »

Yikes, had to be away for a bit. :(

Summer, what was best part about writing this story for you?

Creating the characters and their relationships with each other. I love to figure out how people are going to relate to one another and interweave their personalities together.

How did you feel when it came to an end? Was it hard for you to give up your characters?

Well, it's not finished yet ... so no lol. But I'm sure it will be bittersweet when the fic is finally finished. It's always sad to be done writing a fic for me, but it's nice cuz you accomplished something you set your mind to. Plus, you get to start a new one lol.

If you chose to write an alternative ending, what would it be?

I can't say lol ... I don't want to give anything away. After finishing the fic I'll post something about what another ending I had in mind would be.

Overall, is there anything you regret about this story?

Not yet ... knock on wood lol.