Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: FS for January: Something Beautiful by Pengi  (Read 13563 times)

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
Re: FS for January: Something Beautiful by Pengi
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2011, 12:07:10 PM »

Something I just thought to add too, which is kind of a random side note... The things they experienced and did, when I was making my list of ideas for them had to include a few things:

1. They had to be things that I've never HEARD of the Boys ACTUALLY doing before. I wanted the story to feel authentic in the "first time for everyone here" feeling. The only exception is the scuba diving in Chattanooga, which obviously Nick's scuba dived before. However, he was so damn excited about it, that it kind of negated the need for it to be a completely new experience for him.

2. It had to be something that invoked beauty. The point of the trip was for Brian to find something beautiful - therefore everything Nick planned had to include a breathtaking new way of viewing the world. The Grand Canyon they'd been to. The bottom of the Grand Canyon? At sunset? Not so much. The hot air balloon ride provided an ariel view without being in a "plane" persay. It afforded a closer over-head view with more detail. The Rockies with their snow caps from the lodge, the river's whitecaps, the gorge upside down (or from on the bridge)... all things that granted opportunity to see the world. Nebraska's plains allowed a view of the sphere of the earth, of great distances, of color patterns like a patchwork quilt, etc. And even the aquarium allowed an view of beautiful underwater life. It was imperative that everything they do render beautiful mental images like these... Why? Because if they hadn't seen the most beautiful things on earth, the punch at the end of Brian choosing his friendship with Nick as the most beautiful thing he'd seen wouldn't have been as powerful.
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

Chrissy

• Captain of Commotion
  • the author formerly known as filiklepto
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2011, 09:30:34 PM »

Wow, it sounds like you put a lot of brainwork into the different stops on their trip!

Tell Hannah what your favorite chapter/scene was and why
I really liked when they stayed at the Colorado lodge, from the pancakes on the grill to Amanda falling in love with Nick to Nick tearing up the police officer's ticket books.  That part of the story just had a lot of memorable bits.

Who was your favorite character?
Probably Brian's mom, she was just so sweet!

Were you able to relate to the characters in the story and which one did you find most similar to yourself?
I could definitely relate to Amanda and her reluctance to tell Nick the truth.  I know that whenever I have something I need to 'fess up to, it just weighs on me, and I dread telling the truth to whomever the other person is, so I just keep putting it off.  Amanda's behavior felt very believable and real to me.
my muse is such a lush

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2011, 01:30:37 PM »

There is only one day of January left so now's the time to get your final thoughts in on Something Beautiful by Pengi! And I just wanted to say a thank you to Hannah for sharing her very personal thoughts and stories with the board.

:)

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green
Pages: 1 2 [3]