Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: You can do it!!  (Read 13978 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
You can do it!!
« on: January 15, 2011, 06:28:11 AM »

Since AC has a ton of motivational threads for people wanting to lose weight (no pun intended haha), I thought why don't we also have one for people who are having a hard time in general with writing their stories?

So many of us like to blame our 'muses' for not letting us write but usually it has to do with something lacking whether it be an idea, a chink in character or plot development or just maybe losing your inspiration for whatever reason.

Here's a good place to post what's going on with you and where others can help cheer you on or maybe throw some ideas your way.

So, have at it!

:)

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
Re: You can do it!!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 07:40:15 AM »

My problem doesn't seem to be the ideas, it's getting them out of my head and writing them.  Like with Rewind, I know where it's going, and I'm currently writing the next chapter, but it doesn't always write how I want it to write and I end up deleting large chunks of it and writing it again.  Maybe I just don't have the writing skills to get my ideas out.

This thread is a good idea :)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 10:20:41 AM »

I'm having a major block on Figured You Out...its killing me right now. I want the next chapter to be the other boys but not sure where to go, I don't think I want to jump into Nick being rescued or anything just yet. I'm just lost...

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 11:08:19 AM »

Tracy, they figured out that Valerie took him didn't they?  What about if they do some snooping around where she lived with her Mum?  They could talk to her friend to see whether they can find out any clues as to where she took Nick.

Sorry if my suggestions are crap, they just popped into my head after reading your post :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 11:20:53 AM »

ooh those are all good ideas!

It's hard when you see that maybe a story is coming to an end but you're not ready for that to happen just yet, but like Steph said, Tracy, I think there's still a lot of angles you have to play with since the guys are all willing to go all Hardy Boys for this!

And Steph, I do the same thing as you. I'll write full on pages of things and then decide I don't like it and delete it all. LOL

My motivation lacks when it comes to actually opening up word. It takes me forever to do that but once I do and actually start writing, it happens quickly. I find I have to walk away from it for a few hours at a time though. Like now, i'm taking a break.

I never had to do that before. When I first started writing I could sit here and write until the entire chapter was finished. I kind of have forced myself to slow down, step away and then reread what I wrote before I continue. I think it's actually helped with the overall quality of writing on this story anyway but it's also detracted me from writing and given me some major blockages too.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 11:28:43 AM »

I've just actually deleted the chapter of Rewind I just wrote, I didn't like it, even though I spent ages writing it!  So I ended up churning out another chapter of my Nick romance instead, lol.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 12:08:49 PM »

I think you're on to something with that idea, Steph! I will see if I can work with any of it! Thanks ladies! I guess maybe since I been sick my thoughts are clogged up, hopefully I can work something out.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 12:47:10 PM »

Hope you feel better soon and work out the story :)

I'll tell you my problem today...the kids keep distracting me!  Maybe when they've gone to bed I'll be able to make some progress.

colorguard_diva

• Major Disruption
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 03:04:50 PM »

When I get frustrated and can't write. I will put music on and just write. Sometimes I line in a song will jump out at me and take me where I know I need to go. The great thing is it usually comes from a song I never thought would  give me a great idea. Like sometimes a line in a Broadway showtune will get me thinking and wow I have a place to start.

Freewriting is also a good idea for getting thoughts out about what you want to write. Take 5 or 10 minutes and write about what you want to happen in the chapter. The thing is you can't stop writing. Anything that pops in your head goes on the paper. When you are done, you can look back and take the parts that you know will fit they way you want. I did this a lot in high school.

Chrissy

• Captain of Commotion
  • the author formerly known as filiklepto
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 03:48:04 PM »

@Steph & Mare:
I'm so jealous that you guys can delete your writing!  One of my big problems is that once I think of a passage, I hate to delete it.  A lot of the time, I'll copy-paste it to the very bottom of the word document to save it for later >_<  That's how I am in real life too, a total pack rat who hates to throw anything away.

At the moment, I'm having some trouble with an extended dialog/fight scene.  I can't tell if the pace of the argument is progressing naturally or if Nick and Carla's emotions are too sudden.  I think I need to find some barbie dolls to make them act out the scene for me!
my muse is such a lush

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 03:53:07 PM »

I agree about music providing inspiration.  I wrote a short Take That story after listening to Muse's 'Resistance' and although it's not a story that I would expect to be read on AC, I'm quite happy with the way it came out.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 03:54:27 PM »

@Steph & Mare:
I'm so jealous that you guys can delete your writing!  One of my big problems is that once I think of a passage, I hate to delete it.  A lot of the time, I'll copy-paste it to the very bottom of the word document to save it for later >_<  That's how I am in real life too, a total pack rat who hates to throw anything away.

At the moment, I'm having some trouble with an extended dialog/fight scene.  I can't tell if the pace of the argument is progressing naturally or if Nick and Carla's emotions are too sudden.  I think I need to find some barbie dolls to make them act out the scene for me!

Hahaha, I like the idea of making the dolls act out the scene.

Hope you manage to work it out though, I'm sure it will be great as you're a fantastic writer :)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 04:01:09 PM »

I'm pleased to report I may have a new chapter today or tomorrow, I kind of let Brian and AJ tell me what they wanted to do lol so far I like it. When I write I usually go with what I write the first time, I haven't had to delete anything...it usually ends up working itself out. Thanks for the help!

TheDistantHeart

• Major Disruption
  • Would you risk it for a chocolate biscuit?
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 04:04:14 PM »

As a lot of you know, English isn't my native language. When I first started writing fanfic (not BSB) was when I was 14 (in 2007). My English sucked WAY more than now but back then I didn't seem to struggle to find the right words and how to describe certain things as much as I do now! Sure, I had to look up translations a lot more than now, but I have no idea how to explain a certain situation or when I write dialogue, what would be the most natural thing to say! I also get stuck on ideas & inspiration. Music is a really good tip, that works for me too. But not as much as it used to. When I have an idea, I try to write it down, but I have simply no idea where to start! I've got so many issues with writing right now that I took a break until I have figured things out. When I saw this thread I could almost hear an angel choir LMAO!

Anyway, I guess I'm also a little too worried about how my English comes out. I've considered writing down my ideas and/or chapters in Dutch first, because I know how to word things better in my own language, of course. But the thing is, even in my own language I don't know where to start! But when I explain it to someone, it goes much better. Writing became very frustrating LOL.

I guess I also worry too much about the amount of reviews. I recently read someone saying that review count shouldn't matter, otherwise writing isn't fun anymore. I realized I started to write for the reviews, not for myself. That's the first thing that I will think of once I start writing. :)

Meh, I hope you get my problems. I've got a lot of frustration built up inside LOL

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 04:25:23 PM »

@Steph & Mare:

Oh, I do that as well. I am a qiueen of copy and pasting things and using them later on in a chapter or someties in a different story all together. I also keep paragrpahs down at the bottom as well and wait to see if I can use it later on.

As far as acting out scenes. I ALWAYS do that! lmao minus the barbie dolls. I sit here and say the dialogue out loud and another thing I do when I write action sequences is to really move in the way I want the characters to move and then it's easier to describe.

I am looking forward to reading that fight scene lol
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7