Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: You can do it!!  (Read 13999 times)

Mariah

• Major Disruption
  • Let go of today, tomorrow's another day...
    • http://www.absolutechaos.net/viewuser.php?uid=1274
Re: You can do it!!
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2011, 01:06:27 PM »

I remember how outlines and trailer videos were all I had. I've been around the fan fic world for a long time now and I discovered that outlines are pretty useless when you're actually writing. Its strange how the ideas just change on the spot when you wrote a whole treatment for like 3 chapters. I'm always like, "oh shit why did I even bother?"
My Stories
Jack: FYI, he was the love of my life.
Will: You've said that about each Backstreet Boy at one time or another. -Will & Grace

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2011, 01:35:52 PM »

I'm late to the party...but great thread idea, Mare.  I know I am lacking motivation!

My biggest issue is time.  I have inspiration, even dialouge flooding into my head...but, I never have time to sit down and write when I am ready/able to write.  I have a husband, two kids, a full time job and am constantly on the go!  When I do get a chance to sit down, I am usually wiped out and only have a few minutes.  Most of my time online is spent via my iPhone.  Back when I was regulary writing and updating Casual, I would stay up very late and write write write after everyone went to bed, but since baby #2 has arrived, I need my sleep more! 

I am an outliner...typ ically, I have three scenes in each chapter and I do a little blurb about what the content of each scene will be.  I am constantly changing my outline.  I save stuff for later a lot of the time too, as needed. 

Regarding story status, I have just a few chapters left of Casual and I have written the beginnings of a new story...still fleshing out ideas and working on the outline, but I think it has potential.  I can't work on two things at once, I've learned, so once Casual is done, and if I can find time, I am hoping to devote some to my new thing. 

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2011, 03:13:51 PM »

It is hard to juggle it all isn't Darby, but I hope you get the chance to write soon :)

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2011, 09:31:16 PM »

I do outline for most of my stories, but what kind of outline I make and how detailed it gets depends on the story.  I have some outlines that are chapter by chapter or part by part, for Secrets of the Heart and my two collaborations, but usually I'm more of a timeline person. 

My Curtain Call outline is basically a timeline, with a bunch of research at the bottom.  The way I'm writing that story is, I'm God of the story, and I get to decide what situations to put my characters in.  But since they have free will, they get to decide how to react.  So I have various points along the way that are planned out and set in stone, but how the characters get there and what happens in between is decided chapter by chapter, as I'm writing.

Then I have Guilty Roads, with no outline whatsoever, only an idea in my head of where I'm going with it.  That scares me a little, but we'll see how it goes.

It's weird how I've grown as a writer.

At first, I never outlined anything. I had an idea and just went with it. I'd sometimes knew how it would end, sometimes not. It probably explains my ADD back in the day though with 50 stories going lol. I mean I still have a few at the same time, but I've gotten WAY better over the years about sticking to it.

For collabs, it's like you said, we have chapters planned, but we've definitely tweaked it when something called for it. It's a chapter by chapter, but flexible, especially if the characters decide to throw a wrench in the works LOL. I feel with collabs you need outlines, or things go awry way too easily.

For my own now? I'm more of a timeline person too. I know with "Remember Me This Way", all I have is a set list of events I need to happen and the time frame. After I've already written/posted the chapter, then I'll add it to the event on the timeline just so I can reference back to it if I need to. It's like you said, sort of playing God lol. There's events that happen, but there's definitely free will. And there's been times Nick's decided he's going to change things up, and I went with it. But I do know exactly how I'm going to end it.

Oddly, "Walked Out Of My Dreams" has a chapter by chapter...well it's not even a concrete outline, more like who's POV, and what may happen. It's already changed once lol and it's not even that far along. But I do know how that one will go and end. :)

So I guess it depends on the story anymore, but there's usually some guideline just so I don't mix up anything.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

carterkid

• Major Disruption
  • It's a backstreet world....we just live in it
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2011, 03:03:03 PM »

I need help with my story Tooth Fairy.I have no idea where the next chaper is going but the rest of the story I got stuff planned in my head.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2011, 03:19:04 PM »

I would say jump to something you do have planned then? Sometimes if i'm stuck i'll do that and then after I write a little I can go back and say oh yes, to get to this point I need to go back and say this...

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2011, 04:25:41 PM »

I hate filler; I think that's the hardest thing to write!  Like Mare, I would ask yourself, what do you really need to write to get from Point A to Point B?  Do you really need anything?  If so, is it just filler?  That's where I get stuck, when I know I need something to help the transition, but don't have anything specific in mind... filler.  Ugh.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2011, 04:27:41 PM »

I hate filler. That's where the blocks happen. It's annoying as hell.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2011, 04:59:43 PM »

I am in the process of writing a chapter like that too. Not sure if i'm going to make it a shorter filler chapter or not.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2011, 05:04:30 PM »

I know for Jizzle of Oz I'm having a little trouble with how I want Kevin's chapter to go. Lucky I have other stories I can work on and come back to it lol

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2011, 07:45:59 PM »

I hate filler!!  >:(

It is exactly where I am in Running Up That Hill and that's why it's taking me so long to churn out updates. (and how I ended up caught up with myself, because I was being so good at staying ahead) It is the lull part in the middle-ish of the story where nothing is happening and I feel like i'm being overly repetitive and boring.

I dunno, I just feel like not enough stuff is happening, and I need to make something happen. Because seven more chapters of this might be impossible for me to write.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

carterkid

• Major Disruption
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2011, 10:43:50 AM »

Exactly! Most of my stories I have plans but nothing in the middle to fill it in.Mine is more,point A then point C without point B.LOL

Mariah

• Major Disruption
  • Let go of today, tomorrow's another day...
    • http://www.absolutechaos.net/viewuser.php?uid=1274
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2011, 01:05:12 PM »

Do any of you guys write even when you're blocked? Would you submit it even if its not what you originally planned?
My Stories
Jack: FYI, he was the love of my life.
Will: You've said that about each Backstreet Boy at one time or another. -Will & Grace

carterkid

• Major Disruption
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2011, 01:26:02 PM »

If I found a way around it without risking the story I would say yes.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2011, 02:49:35 PM »

I have written something completely unplanned and ended up lliking it more than what I had planned but the other times i'll read it and hit the delete button lol
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7