Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: The Reading Duel  (Read 27769 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
The Reading Duel
« on: July 12, 2011, 06:17:16 PM »

The Reading Duel

This is a reading challenge that was thought up in the romance debate thread. Since so many of us are so devoted to our genres of choice, this is a challenge to read something you might otherwise not even consider reading.

Here are the rules:

1) Send me your name in a PM with the words reading duel as the subject line

Once you do that, I'll be sending you a short survey to answer. Fill it out and return it to me and then you'll officially be one of the duelers.

By sending me your name, you are telling me you are willing to read someone's story and to offer up one of your stories to be read. This means you are also willing to get constructive criticism from the person who is reading your story and you as a reader are willing to give feedback to the story you are reading and that you promise to see the story through to the end. If you don't think you can handle doing any of those things, please don't agree to do this challenge. I am not one to tolerate flakiness and will call you out about it!

I'll be posting your surveys in the thread so this way you all can decide who you would like to challenge.

2) When I say the challenge is on, you may pick any of the duelers and challenge them to read your story and in return you have to read theirs.

3) The person you challenge may refuse but they have to explain why. It could be they have read the story already or have been challenged by someone else already.

4) You can be challenged more than once, it's up to you if you want to read more than one story. You don't have to, just remember you HAVE to finish reading it, so if you don't have the time please don't say yes to a thousand people.

5) You must give feedback to the person while you are reading the story. You can leave them on the actual story on AC but also in the thread from time to time. This may help people decide to read some of these stories.

6) When you are done, you need to fill out another survey about the story which will then post on the forum.

I know it sounds like a lot but it's really not. Long story/short...just read the story and review.

I hope you guys enjoy this and are willing to participate. We really need at least 10 people to have this work or make sense. If you are one of those people who keep insisiting people try something new, I expect to see you doing this one!

Have fun!!!

You have until Sunday (7/17)  to enter this challenge, because the sooner we start, the better.

The competitors so far:

Rose
RokofAges75
DelphinaCarter
Carter-Orange
Mellz Bellz
TheDistantHear t
Colorguard_div a
carterkid
Julilly
Mare
cabybakes
Purpura Lipstick
kevmylove
Summer03
alota_cookin
myconfession
Sakabelle
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 10:57:26 AM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: The Reading Duel
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 06:30:36 PM »

I must say that as of now I do not have a survey to send to you lol I'll be working on that tonight or tomorrow.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 06:35:48 PM »

Slacker lol
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 06:38:17 PM »

LOL I know!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 06:42:39 PM »

Reading duel sounds so appropriate for this week, with Harry Potter coming out.  Expelliarmus!  I mean, count me in!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 06:44:48 PM »

I know! I was trying to think of a good Harry Potter sounding name but came up with nothing.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 06:47:47 PM »

Reading duel works!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 10:39:04 PM »

Saving a step lol here is the survey. If you are interested (And I haven't already sent it to you) just fill in the survey and include it in your PM. Two birds, one stone...

Name:

Genres you most like to read:

Genres you are willing to try:

Story of yours that you would like to submit:

Genre:

Summary:

Chapter count:

Word count:

Is it complete?

One question you'd like the person reading it to answer:

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 11:09:31 PM »

I want to do this but I can't send a pm from my phone for some reason....

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 11:15:47 PM »

Totally doing this. Briiiiiiiiiing it on! LOL
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 01:07:35 AM »

Count me in!  I'll give it a go.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 06:33:19 AM »

I want to do this but I can't send a pm from my phone for some reason....

Would it work if I pm'd you? I'll do that.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 06:54:56 AM »

Yes it did and I replied as well :) I am always looking for something to read so I am excited!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 07:02:53 AM »

Got it! :)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 07:15:21 AM »

I'm trying to think which story of mine I should put.  I don't want the reader to have to read a long story if they think the story is crap, lol.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10