Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: Engarde!!!!! The reading challenge part two!  (Read 35801 times)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
Re: Engarde!!!!! The reading challenge part two!
« Reply #150 on: August 19, 2011, 11:11:54 AM »

Steph, by far if we were giving away an award for all time best reader for this challenge, it would be you! Thanks!

I obviously have too much time on my hands whilst in work, lol

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #151 on: August 19, 2011, 11:12:24 AM »

I like the sound of another reading challenge too!

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #152 on: August 19, 2011, 11:30:06 AM »

Who was the person reading your story? Tracy

1. Did you get regular feedback on your chapters from your reader? Yes

2. Did you respond to that feedback? Always

3. Did your reader take the time and post about what they read in the forum thread? Yes she did

4.  Do you feel like you got the amount of feedback you were expecting? Yes

5. Was there anything that the reader of your story said that surprised you? Not really.  Tracy did say the story was short, which it was.  I was trying to make it like an episode of Supernatural, lol.

6. Do you feel like the feedback you got was constructive and something you would use as a tool to help you out later? The feedback was more a reaction to the story, but Tracy did mention that it ended too soon.

7. Overall did you think this was a positive experience? Why or why not? Yes, I think it was a positive experience because it was good to know what a reader who wouldn't usually read this kind of thing actually thought of my story.  I would definitely take part in something like this again.

8. Is there any question you have for your reader that you would like them to elaborate on? Can't think of anything right now.

9. Would you consider taking part in something like this again? Definitely!

10. Do you have any comments for your reader or anyone in general who may want to read your story in the future? Thanks for taking the time to read and review!  I really appreciate it :)

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #153 on: August 19, 2011, 03:37:59 PM »

We'll definitely do it again next summer! We might do a smaller one in the winter. :)

There will be plenty more reading to do come Felix Awards time anyway! lol
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #154 on: August 19, 2011, 03:57:07 PM »

^ does that mean we're judging?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #155 on: August 19, 2011, 04:34:23 PM »

No, but it does mean that people should read the nominated stories!
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #156 on: August 19, 2011, 04:51:41 PM »

Oh right, good point lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #157 on: August 19, 2011, 06:43:23 PM »

When will we know who is nominated cause I'm excited for the awards :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #158 on: August 19, 2011, 06:49:48 PM »

You guys are the ones who nominate and that's not happening for a little bit still, we'll let you know.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #159 on: August 20, 2011, 02:16:18 PM »

Thoughts on Casual

So I've gotten through Chapter 30 on Casual, and past the halfway point of the story. So far it's definitely well written. Quinn although I find myself unable to relate to her, is a well rounded character. And Nick is as well, though some things (like missing Howie's wedding ceremony but making it to the reception) seem a bit OOC for me.

One thing about their relationship, is it's not the normal kind. Which is basically the premise of the story, how you can't always define a relationship the way people want you to. At the same time, there are many twist and turns. At times the plot does feel a bit overdramatic and I find myself cringing at some of the drama laid in place. Like when Quinn set out to hit up on a guy just for the gossip rags to throw off the idea that her and Nick were serious since there were pics taken of them at Howie's reception. She set out to do this, yet once it sprialed out of control it blew up in her face. It was to me, incredibly manipulative and a turnoff to her character. I was also surprised at how upset she got when Nick reacted to it (once it got splashed all over the tabloids) when she should've known better.

But now they've started to actually go out on dates, something they haven't done yet. So I'm curious to see where that leads them. That needed to happen cause a purely sexual relationship does lack substance and is probably why they've had their shaky points.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Sapphire

• Major Disruption
« Reply #160 on: August 21, 2011, 08:22:51 AM »

here's my survey:

Who was the person reading your story? Mare

1. Did you get regular feedback on your chapters from your reader? Yes

2. Did you respond to that feedback?
Yes. I try to make sure  always respond.
3. Did your reader take the time and post about what they read in the forum thread? Yes she did. She posted some great summaries and thoughts.

4.  Do you feel like you got the amount of feedback you were expecting?
Yes I did. When I found out Mare was reading my story I had a feeling I would get a lot of feedback, which is what I was looking for.
5. Was there anything that the reader of your story said that surprised you? No not really.
6. Do you feel like the feedback you got was constructive and something you would use as a tool to help you out later? Yes. Mare made note there was a lot of dialogue. I’ll try and remember to add more descriptive paragraphs.

7. Overall did you think this was a positive experience? Why or why not?
Yes. It was better than I thought.
8. Is there any question you have for your reader that you would like them to elaborate on? No. I felt I got very good feedback.

9. Would you consider taking part in something like this again? yes

10. Do you have any comments for your reader or anyone in general who may want to read your story in the future? Just thanks to mare for taking the time to read and give feedback. For anyone else who chooses to read, I would love more feedback.

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #161 on: August 21, 2011, 01:20:40 PM »

Thoughts on Casual

So I've gotten through Chapter 30 on Casual, and past the halfway point of the story. So far it's definitely well written. Quinn although I find myself unable to relate to her, is a well rounded character. And Nick is as well, though some things (like missing Howie's wedding ceremony but making it to the reception) seem a bit OOC for me.

One thing about their relationship, is it's not the normal kind. Which is basically the premise of the story, how you can't always define a relationship the way people want you to. At the same time, there are many twist and turns. At times the plot does feel a bit overdramatic and I find myself cringing at some of the drama laid in place. Like when Quinn set out to hit up on a guy just for the gossip rags to throw off the idea that her and Nick were serious since there were pics taken of them at Howie's reception. She set out to do this, yet once it sprialed out of control it blew up in her face. It was to me, incredibly manipulative and a turnoff to her character. I was also surprised at how upset she got when Nick reacted to it (once it got splashed all over the tabloids) when she should've known better.

But now they've started to actually go out on dates, something they haven't done yet. So I'm curious to see where that leads them. That needed to happen cause a purely sexual relationship does lack substance and is probably why they've had their shaky points.

So sorry I am just getting around to responding to al of your reviews...I am never on a real computer anymore.  Thank you for your honest feedback. 

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #162 on: August 21, 2011, 03:08:29 PM »

here's my survey:

Who was the person reading your story? Carter-Orange

1. Did you get regular feedback on your chapters from your reader? Not every chapter but she did review frequently.

2. Did you respond to that feedback? Yes I did.

3. Did your reader take the time and post about what they read in the forum thread? Yes she did.

4.  Do you feel like you got the amount of feedback you were expecting? Yeah she commented every 3 chapters or so.

5. Was there anything that the reader of your story said that surprised you? I was surprised at some of the comments....lo oking back it made me question myself as a writer.

6. Do you feel like the feedback you got was constructive and something you would use as a tool to help you out later? In a way it did. It was an old story and my writing has improved a lot since YGLANBN was written. I probably should have picked a more current story.

7. Overall did you think this was a positive experience? Why or why not? It was...I enjoyed it. But for personal reasons, it made me rethink some things. I don't blame the challenge, I have changed as a writer.

8. Is there any question you have for your reader that you would like them to elaborate on? No she was pretty clear.

9. Would you consider taking part in something like this again?
Yes I would.

10. Do you have any comments for your reader or anyone in general who may want to read your story in the future? You Give Love A Bad Name was my first fanfic. I probably made a bad choice in picking that, but it was completed and I wanted some constructive criticism on it. I would love for someone to read the other stories in the series and do the same. I really appreciate her taking the time to read and giving me a chance.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #163 on: August 21, 2011, 03:37:55 PM »

Yay guys! Thanks carterkid, Krystle and Tracy for filling these out.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]