Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Best last lines of books  (Read 3907 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Best last lines of books
« on: July 27, 2011, 12:04:37 PM »

I found this article online and thought it was interesting.

It's funny because when I am trying to decide on a book to read a lot of times i'll go and read the very last lines and see if it intrigues me enough to read the entire book. A lot of these books fell into that category for me! Some of course I have never read though.

http://www.stylist.co.uk/life/the-best-100-closing-lines-from-books#
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

MadisonAve

• Innocent Bystander
Re: Best last lines of books
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 03:30:05 PM »

Thanks for the link, it's really interesting. I think the last line in Great Gatsby is probably my most favorite ever. Even though I've read that book billions of times, I still get chills reading it. The Old Man and the Sea is up there too, but that's more because of how Hemingway ended the story, not necessarily the last line.

I feel like the last line of a book is like the last bite of a big meal. You want a little of everything, but most importantly you want the flavor to remain after you've finished.

Don't even get me started on my hate for To Kill a Mockingbird and The Catcher and the Rye...

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 04:10:26 PM »

I don't think i've ever encountered anyone who disliked To Kill a Mockingbird lol Why? It's not one of my favorite books but I did enjoy it. It's not something I ever wanted to read more than once though.

My all time favorite book is Little Women, although the first or last lines wouldn't have sucked me in if I was to go solely on that.

I think my favorite last line on that list was the Winnie the Pooh one. LOL I LOVE A Milne!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

MadisonAve

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 12:08:19 AM »

Lol, I probably am the only one that hates To Kill a Mockingbird. I read really fast, so when we would read out loud I would read ahead. I guess my teacher that year read REALLY slow, so by the time I was done, the class was barely halfway. I guess I just got annoyed listening to it again.

Also, I've grown up in Texas and my family is very much that typical poor southern family. Many of my ancestors were sharecroppers, which at that time was to a degree, on the same level in that society as slaves. So racism really wasn't as prevalent. Everyone was too poor to be racists in a way. So I guess that's kind of the reason I've never been a fan.

I do have to make a disclaimer to all of the above. I haven't read the book in almost 10 years, so I might be completely off of the plot lol. I guess I could read it again...

Little Women is amazing!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 05:59:16 AM »

Ah, I see. Tha book for me Is The Scarlet Letter. The English teacher I had that year had the worst peaking voice. She was nasaly and so annoying and she insisted on reading to us because she LOVED that book! By the second chapter I wanted Hester dead so I could be put out of my misery. lol

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 09:34:40 AM »

I extremely disliked The Scarlett Letter too mare.  It wasn't read out loud to me, but I just did not enjoy the plot.

I have my mind set to reread Pride and Prejudice.  I remember not being able to get into it in high school so I never read it all the way through.  Now that I LOVE the film version with Colin Firth I figure I will give the book anothr shot since I do enjoy the plot (on film at least).

Another book I was forced to read that I didn't care for: Wuthering Heights.  

but I see that this is off topic so I uh.... last lines of books. I will have to look over that site.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

MadisonAve

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 07:39:32 PM »

I've been meaning to start reading more of the classics. I get caught up in my ridiculous obsession with Nicholas Sparks and psychology books, so I feel like sometimes I haven't actually gained anything from reading.

myconfession

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 03:21:26 PM »

Ah, I see. Tha book for me Is The Scarlet Letter. The English teacher I had that year had the worst peaking voice. She was nasaly and so annoying and she insisted on reading to us because she LOVED that book! By the second chapter I wanted Hester dead so I could be put out of my misery. lol

EFFING LOVED THE SCARLET LETTER! One of my favorite books!

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 03:34:06 PM »

I extremely disliked The Scarlett Letter too mare.  It wasn't read out loud to me, but I just did not enjoy the plot.

I have my mind set to reread Pride and Prejudice.  I remember not being able to get into it in high school so I never read it all the way through.  Now that I LOVE the film version with Colin Firth I figure I will give the book anothr shot since I do enjoy the plot (on film at least).

Another book I was forced to read that I didn't care for: Wuthering Heights. 

but I see that this is off topic so I uh.... last lines of books. I will have to look over that site.

I loved Pride & Prejudice.  I read if after seeing Colin Firth as Mr Darcy :)

From that list I've read quite a few.  No idea what my favourite last line is though.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 03:39:04 PM »

EFFING LOVED THE SCARLET LETTER! One of my favorite books!

OMG I hated it lol but I really think it's because of her. It's the only paper I have ever gotten a D on because I brought up my dislike of the main character, she felt like I didn't understand what I was reading lol um...you can NOt like something, doesn't mean you don't understand it.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 10:21:54 AM »

I don't think i've ever encountered anyone who disliked To Kill a Mockingbird lol

You've met another one, now! Mockingbird is one of my least favourite books! The only thing worse is the movie.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

carterkid

• Major Disruption
  • It's a backstreet world....we just live in it
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2011, 11:21:36 AM »

We should made our own best last line list.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2011, 12:38:00 PM »

I remember reading To Kill A Mockingbird in school and having to watch the film too.  I found it boring, but I was only about 13 at the time and my tastes have changed since then (I was into Sweet Valley High back then, lol).  Maybe if I read it now I'd like it.

marina

• Innocent Bystander
  • Leave me where I am, I'm only sleeping
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 11:55:53 PM »

Hey I used to LOVE To Kill a Mockingbird and it was on my list of favorite books but then I read it like a hundred years ago so I wonder if I would like it today.
Try Murakami for great last lines. Most of his books have great endings in my opinion :)
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” - Oscar Wilde

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 04:40:42 AM »

^ I love when you come back to the forum and post in random threads. LOL
Pages: [1] 2