Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17

Author Topic: 1000 Ways To Kill Nick Carter  (Read 94475 times)

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
Re: 1000 Ways To Kill Nick Carter
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2011, 02:59:01 PM »

No what I mean is, like technically, for example, Hannah posted in there yesterday. I got the gist that would be her only contribution, so at the time I told her I'd not list her as a coauthor. And didn't till I learned we had to.

Now if she updated two stories today, and then after that, this one got updated, it'd be a bit unfair to have her get slammed for spamming. Cause she didn't update it, someone else did. And to a story that for arguments sake, she'll never add to again. That's not her spamming, that's someone else contributing. To me, that wasn't the purpose of the spamming rule. And I was a huge advocate of that rule in the first place.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2011, 03:00:51 PM »

Yup, same thing. If you write a short story for a challenge and then post two other stories on the same day, that's three stories in one day.

The only tricky thing about a red robin is you have no control over when it updates but if people who were about to update it took a second to see if any of the other authors already updated twice before they posted, there would be no problem. It's an extra step but also a courtesy. I do think it would be a good idea to put that disclaimer on there though. Woudn't hurt, I mean eventually it'll slow down and won't become an issue but right now Nick killing is the new trend of the moment.  LOL

I'm not trying to be difficult but rules are rules, if we make an exception to this I can see people trying to abuse it. Remember it only takes one to ruin it for everyone else.

This isn't an issue of courtesy (or lack thereof) among the co-writers.  Twofaced was the last to update the round robin after updating two of her other stories on the same date, albeit hours apart.  She did break the spamming rule, technically.

I feel kind of bad, though, because I added her name as a co-writer like Rose and I have been with everyone else who's contributed so they can edit if they need to and respond to their reviews, but unlike everyone else, I don't have her on Twitter, and she doesn't post here on the forum regularly, so she may not have known I was going to add her or that a round robin counted the same way as a collaboration or individual story.  That part's not spelled out clearly in the rules on the site, so without seeing your post in this thread, I'm sure she didn't even realize she was breaking a rule.

If we keep it a round robin, it'll just have to be everyone's responsibility to only post one of their stories per day, simple as that.  But we may need to look into other options to make it less limiting for people who want to join in.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2011, 03:03:04 PM »

Why don't you take away the red robin part of it and just ask people to email their chapters and then once a week update it with any chapters you get? This way you'd have control over when it's updated, everyone knows the date it will happen so they know that day to only post one chapter? Like okay Tuesdays are kill Nick days so I can only update once!

Just a thought

That defeats the purpose of having the round robin feature on the script, though.  That feature makes it easy for everyone to post on their own and get credit for their work.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2011, 03:04:13 PM »

Honestly the reason why I don't wanna do emails is cause from my experience, that never gets any responses. It's a bit of a hassle, so people can't be bothered. That's why I thought round robin would be the best way to go. I had no idea this was where it would go LOL.

That defeats the purpose of having the round robin feature on the script, though.  That feature makes it easy for everyone to post on their own and get credit for their work.

Right.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2011, 03:05:57 PM »

No what I mean is, like technically, for example, Hannah posted in there yesterday. I got the gist that would be her only contribution, so at the time I told her I'd not list her as a coauthor. And didn't till I learned we had to.

Now if she updated two stories today, and then after that, this one got updated, it'd be a bit unfair to have her get slammed for spamming. Cause she didn't update it, someone else did. And to a story that for arguments sake, she'll never add to again. That's not her spamming, that's someone else contributing. To me, that wasn't the purpose of the spamming rule. And I was a huge advocate of that rule in the first place.

I am all for the spamming rule, to prevent a single author from taking up most or all of the Most Recent page.

But like you said, with the way this is set-up, someone could get banned without having updated more than two of their own stories, just because of a one-shot they contributed days, weeks, months, years ago.

Like I said, you're essentially agreeing to limit yourself to only one story per day for the rest of your time on AC once you add a part to this story, and while that may be fine with some of us, I could see it being a deterrent for others who would have joined in otherwise.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2011, 03:09:48 PM »

It's really no different then co-writing with someone plus having your own stories as well. Before you post up your own update you usually check and make sure your co-authored story hasn't been updated. That was an issue of spamming earlier on as well if you remember. The only difference is you don't know who your co-authors are but if you choose to keep it a red robin, it should be that person's responsibility to take a second and check the site to see who has contributed and if they have updated.

That's why I think you should jut take away the red robin part of it. Be in charge of the chapters. It'll be easier that way. In a disclaimer just have them PM you a chapter or something.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2011, 03:11:06 PM »

hold on a second i'm checking something. lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2011, 03:13:40 PM »

The difference is that, with a collaboration, it's the same people writing the story all the way through.  I absolutely agree that traditional collaborations should count in the no spamming rule.

With a round robin like this, though, someone could contribute once at the beginning and then never again, while others keep the story going for weeks/months/years... but that same someone can never update more than one of their stories per day again without risking being banned because someone decided to add to the round robin.

I think it's unreasonable to expect someone who wants to contribute to go back through every other author that contributed and make sure none of them have already updated two stories that day before they post.  Even if we asked people to do that, you know it wouldn't happen.

Unfortunately, it's taken the fun and simplicity out of the round robin feature and made it unnecessarily complicated.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2011, 03:15:28 PM »

okay, why don't we say this...

Since the date the story is updated is posted when you update, if you aren't the author who updated it you aren't spamming.. Red Robins only.

That doesn't save you Karin lol

but that might help everyone else. So if you update two of your stories and then add a chapter onto this or any other red robin, it's spamming.

Again Red Robin's ONLY because then I can see this opening up a whole new can of worms with co-authored stories, but because red robins are out of your control I think this would be fair.

twofaced

• Fledgling
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2011, 03:17:01 PM »

I honestly don't think it's fair. This is an unusual story and should not have the same consequences tied to it. I've been trying to refresh my memories about the rules and so on since I got the email that my account had been locked, so I've been dealing with this for about an hour or so now. The longer I deal with this, the more upset it gets me, the more I want to delete my death, and the less willing I am to come up with another chapter for it. I had so much fun reading everyones deaths, and writing mine, but now that I know the consequences of this "fun" little story, the less thrilled I am to work on it in the future.

I did not know about this forum area until after I was banned, and in my mind, I had updated my stories last night before I went to sleep, then this one when I woke up, which to me is 2 days.

I'm trying to not get too upset, especially seeing as I am fairly new to the site, definitely new to the story, and just trying to find my way, but yeah, I am upset.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2011, 03:17:21 PM »

Since the date the story is updated is posted when you update, if you aren't the author who updated it you aren't spamming.. Red Robins only.

but that might help everyone else. So if you update two of your stories and then add a chapter onto this or any other red robin, it's spamming.

Again Red Robin's ONLY because then I can see this opening up a whole new can of worms with co-authored stories, but because red robins are out of your control I think this would be fair.

That sounds a lot more reasonable!

And I agree with the round robin vs. collab thing, for the same reason I gave in my last post.  It's a lot easier to keep track of who your co-authors are, what else they're writing, and when they last updated with a regular collaboration.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2011, 03:19:44 PM »

Thank you. I appreciate that. Cause I agree, collaborations should count in the no-spamming rule since it's the same two people throughout. In this it wouldn't be if it's someone else who updated. Red Robins are just out of your control.

Thank you Mare! :)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2011, 03:23:48 PM »

This is probably a post for a different thread, but since it relates to the conversation.. .

Maybe there should be a warning for breaking rules before a ban goes into effect.  Break a rule once, and you get a warning.  Break it twice, and THEN you're banned.

I know the rules are right there on the site when you go to post a chapter, but the rules there don't list consequences the way the rules in the thread on this forum do, and the spamming rule does not clearly lay out that if you update more than two stories in a 24-hr period, you will be banned.  It just says "Post an update or two at a time, but please don't post your whole backlog of fics all at once. We look forward to reading them all, but pace yourself!"  Yes, it says one or two, but the way that it's written, with the "please," doesn't exactly set it in stone that you're absolutely not allowed to post three.

Some more clarity, or at least consistency between what's posted here and what's posted there, would be nice.  Those of us who have been coming to the site for years and are regulars on the forum should be totally clear on these rules by now, but those who only post on the site and don't come to the forum may not be, and I think they deserve to be informed and warned of an infraction before being banned and publicly called out for a first offense.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2011, 03:25:09 PM »

You're welcome. You still might want to put a disclaimer on the story though and let everyone know if they contribute on the same day they post two updates it will be considered spamming.

twofaced

• Fledgling
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2011, 03:26:18 PM »

This is probably a post for a different thread, but since it relates to the conversation.. .

Maybe there should be a warning for breaking rules before a ban goes into effect.  Break a rule once, and you get a warning.  Break it twice, and THEN you're banned.

I know the rules are right there on the site when you go to post a chapter, but the rules there don't list consequences the way the rules in the thread on this forum do, and the spamming rule does not clearly lay out that if you update more than two stories in a 24-hr period, you will be banned.  It just says "Post an update or two at a time, but please don't post your whole backlog of fics all at once. We look forward to reading them all, but pace yourself!"  Yes, it says one or two, but the way that it's written, with the "please," doesn't exactly set it in stone that you're absolutely not allowed to post three.

Some more clarity, or at least consistency between what's posted here and what's posted there, would be nice.  Those of us who have been coming to the site for years and are regulars on the forum should be totally clear on these rules by now, but those who only post on the site and don't come to the forum may not be, and I think they deserve to be informed and warned of an infraction before being banned and publicly called out for a first offense.

Agreed! Thank you for this!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17