Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Author Topic: The Sci-fi and Fantasy debate  (Read 2982 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
The Sci-fi and Fantasy debate
« on: August 06, 2011, 07:03:50 PM »

We started a debate about this topic a long time ago and it ended up being a great discussion, kind of like the romance one earlier. So, I thought since we have a lot of fresh faces and since sci-fi/fantasy seems to be making a comeback, now would be a good time to bring this back.

What are your thoughts on sci-fi and fantasy? Are you someone who tends to lump them together or in your mind is there a distinct difference? Why do you think they are usually paired together so often? A lot of you when we were doing the reading challenge, refused to read sci-fi or fantasy, why?

For the writers of the genres, do you feel like you are given a fair chance? What do you think you can do to bring in readers?

Those are my talking points, but there are a lot more i'm sure. Hopefully some of you will weigh in on this!

:)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
Re: The Sci-fi and Fantasy debate
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 09:23:25 PM »

I feel sci-fi and fantasy are very underrated genres. They require a lot of creativity. Because in most cases you have to go out and create this whole new world, different in so many ways from reality. It's not easy sometimes.

I don't know why they're grouped together. They're very different. Sci-Fi usually involves space, aliens, or technology and the future. Fantasy on the other end involves different realms, realities instead of actual worlds (which would be more sci-fi). It tends to be magic, or creatures only told about in myths, rather than aliens.

Most of the time they're not given a fair chance. But when you write them, you know that going in. You write them simply for the love of writing them. You can't harp on reviews or read counts. If you do, you'll just drive yourself crazy. Or if you harp on them for everyone to see, it's almost like asking for pity reads LOL. You just can't do it, there's a readership for the genre but it's smaller and you gotta accept that from Day One.

Sometimes you can bring in more readers if in some way, the Boys are still the Backstreet Boys rather than having it be an AU. But that's not a guarantee. I haven't written sci-fi in awhile, but it used to be a majority of what I wrote. Sometimes I miss it, though I have future ideas I'll one day go back to. There's something to be said for creating that whole new world, it's so fun to write in it.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 09:25:22 PM »

I love writing them though I usually steer away from sci-fi when I write too so I don't have to sound all futuristically scientific! LOL.   I think they get lumped together because some people don't know what the difference between the genres is.   I sometimes have a hard time determining what would classify it as sci-fi vs. fantasy.

I do think these types of stories do get overlooked.  I know plenty of authors that base it off of summaries and not genres but from the summaries, many times you can determine if it is sci-fi/fantasy.  Currently I do have an AU/ sci-fi story being written that I love writing but doesn't get a whole lot of readers *shrugs* their loss. ;)  I have "bugged" people about reading Rose, but I really don't expect them to, I just love the story so much I want to share.

I think if people gave them a shot they would be surprised where they could take their own writing.  Now maybe it's because I already love sci-fi/fantasy from growing up but I get hugely insipred from watching or reading something from these categories and not only when I'm trying to write something in these genres.  
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 09:26:48 PM »

did you know Rose that many considered the original Star Wars to be fantasy because of the mystical Force .. even though there were aliens and it took place in space?

When the prequels came out, it turned the series into a sci-fi series.  I just read this ...
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 09:30:54 PM »

did you know Rose that many considered the original Star Wars to be fantasy because of the mystical Force .. even though there were aliens and it took place in space?

When the prequels came out, it turned the series into a sci-fi series.  I just read this ...

The genres can blend, like anything else LOL. I'd say the mystical force would be more of a fantasy element, the "magic" feeling of it, rather than Sci-Fi

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 09:32:12 PM »

The genres can blend, like anything else LOL. I'd say the mystical force would be more of a fantasy element, the "magic" feeling of it, rather than Sci-Fi

Definitely was, but with the first three they scientifically explained The Force with the meticlorins or whatever they are called.  Then they got into cloning... so this made them more sci-fi. 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 09:33:59 PM »

Definitely was, but with the first three they scientifically explained The Force with the meticlorins or whatever they are called.  Then they got into cloning... so this made them more sci-fi. 

Yeah but the midiclorians didn't even get a mention till the prequels. Same with the clones. I'd say the story is a mix of both, due to the prophecies and such.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 09:37:37 PM »

Yeah but the midiclorians didn't even get a mention till the prequels. Same with the clones. I'd say the story is a mix of both, due to the prophecies and such.

I still think of the originals more as Fantasy than sci-fi though it has both elements in it.... I like to ignore that the prequels were made.   It is a good example of the genres overlapping though.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 09:38:51 PM »

I don't love or hate either genre. I have never tried writing a fantasy but only because i've never really come up with an idea that would classify as fantasy. I'm currently writing a sci-fi and it's been a bit of a challenge  for me. It's really one of the only stories i've actually had to do research on, which is funny because you'd think because it's sci-fi I could make it up as I go along but not the case. I have to admit, when writing it I frequently find myself saying "I wonder if i'd actually read this if I wasn't the one writing it?" and sometimes the answer is yes, because it's the boys as the boys and it's not like "Star Wars" level sci-fi but other times it's a no because of the believabilty of it all lol

As far as getting more people reading, i'm not sure there's an answer to this question. I can only sppeak from personal experience as a writer, I found with this story so far it's doing as good as my other stories that I have written after my long writing hiatus. Sometimes I get a lot of reviews, other times I hear crickets chirping, but same with my other stuff lol I think if it looks and sounds like a good story, people will check it out.

As a reader, the genre really has nothing to do with it. If it sounds interesting I check it out. Sometimes if right off the bat there's too much info thrown at me that I know i'll have to remember i.e planet names weird names of characters or weapons etc...and really long chapters, I tend to jump right out of the story. That's just how I roll though. LOL

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 09:41:41 PM »

I've had to do a lot of research for my sci-fi, which is classified of that merely because they travel through time. LOL.  Gotta research the times they travel to.   
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 10:59:13 PM »

I'm not usually a huge fan of sci-fi or fantasy, especially in BSB fanfic.  I don't read much of these genres outside of fanfic, either, but I do love Harry Potter and children's fantasy and sci-fi that's more along the lines of Micheal Crichton/Jurassic Park, rather than the really "out there" stuff.  I just prefer realistic fiction, especially when I'm reading fanfic.  It's the same reason I prefer canon stories to AU.  It's a realism thing.

I think the reason people tend to lump sci-fi and fantasy together is because they're the two that aren't realistic fiction; they're the genres with situations that CAN'T happen.  But there definitely is a difference.  In simplest terms, fantasy is more magical-based, whereas sci-fi is science-based.  Both include elements that can't occur in real life, but sci-fi uses science as a way of explaining them, even if they still aren't really possible.

I have certainly read sci-fi and fantasy fanfics that I've enjoyed.  For me, it takes a heavy dose of realism at the beginning to suck me in.  I tend not to like stories that start out in a different world or some fantastical situation right off the bat.  I like it best when the characters are introduced to the sci-fi or fantasy part right along with me as I'm reading; it helps with my suspension of disbelief to be gradually drawn in, rather than thrown in from the get-go.  If it doesn't feel like a sci-fi/fantasy in the first chapter, I'm more likely to continue reading, and once I get sucked in, I can accept the unbelievable stuff.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2011, 11:08:11 PM »

I have limited experience writing in either of these genres, but both Song for the Undead and 00Carter contain elements of sci-fi, and just from writing those, I can totally agree with Mare and Lore that sci-fi requires a lot of research.  You can't just "make it up" because you want to make whatever you ARE making up still sound believable, so you have to base it on real facts and then stretch the truth from there.

Fantasy requires a lot of creativity and imagination, because you usually end up having to create characters/creatures and settings that don't really exist.  To do it right, there are so many details you have to work out that will make sense and not leave any holes or inconsistencie s.  I'm in awe of people like JK Rowling, who do this so brilliantly.  I don't have the imagination for it!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 09:59:00 AM »

I like sci-fi and fantasy, but not the really way out stuff which gets far too technical.  It's good to see some great sci-fi's being posted at the moment by really good writers :)

I don't know why it's overlooked, but suppose it's a matter of taste.  Same way there are people who won't read romance or slash or whatever else. 

I wish I had the imagination to be able to write it and make it seem convincing!