Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Question  (Read 17052 times)

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
Question
« on: August 11, 2011, 11:58:34 AM »

Okay keep in mind I'm posting from my phone lol. With my new round robin, I got A review from Julilly saying we can't write about real fans - which that I get, I didn't think that far ahead. what i don't get is why (if I put in a disclaimer saying all fans killed are fictional) we have to keep them all nameless. Why? Its not the first time a story has killed off fans and its hard to write and keep the flow without using a name. Look at FYO should we say Valerie should be nameless now just cause she's a fan in the story? Real fans, I get the issue. But I can't see why fictional fans must not be named, it's supposed to just be in fun.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 12:09:22 PM »

We mean no real fans who can't defend themselves. If you make a fictional fan that's fine, but you know what I mean? Don't use people who you don't like as a means to bash them just by writing them into a chapter. Does that make any sense?

Valarie is a fictional character. If I were to write an entire chapter about a girl named Mare who is a mod at AC and is killed for being an uber bitch and power hungry, that is bashing a fan. Does that make sense?

You can even use the people who are actually collabing in the story. Kill yourselves all you want, we just don't want you guys to use this story as a way to hate on fans you may not like. I know most of you won't even do something like that but it only takes one...
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 12:14:45 PM »

Right, that I get. I was even thinking I was stupid for missing that possibility. But she said we can't use any names beyond our own, which I found to be a bit much.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 12:15:08 PM »

Okay keep in mind I'm posting from my phone lol. With my new round robin, I got A review from Julilly saying we can't write about real fans - which that I get, I didn't think that far ahead. what i don't get is why (if I put in a disclaimer saying all fans killed are fictional) we have to keep them all nameless. Why? Its not the first time a story has killed off fans and its hard to write and keep the flow without using a name. Look at FYO should we say Valerie should be nameless now just cause she's a fan in the story? Real fans, I get the issue. But I can't see why fictional fans must not be named, it's supposed to just be in fun.

What it means is, don't kill off someone named Marianne then say "Oh well she's fictional!" lol

Nameless as in anonymous.

Otherwise you're going to end up using the name of someone who is on the site who might be a little sensitive who will assume it's about them and complain.

If you want to use the names of other people who aren't part of your collab you should at least have their permission, as Kelly did when writing Fan Friction.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 12:17:20 PM by julilly »
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 12:17:30 PM »

LOL ok I thought you meant I couldn't for example, name a fan Sadie lol just so i have a name to use as I write just cause she's gonna get killed.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 12:19:11 PM »

That would make for an interesting challenge. Nameless fans the whole way through. LOL
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 12:21:24 PM »

Lol its not easy. Using "that girl" and "she"gets repetitive. That was why I got concerned

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 12:24:32 PM »

Rose, I was confused, too! And, since I'm banned, I can't go back into my post to that round robin and leave an author's note saying, "Hey! No offense to any Rachel that's reading this, but I just needed a name for the victim and that just so happens to be Rachel!" I was tired of constantly calling her "the girl," which is why her name didn't even show up until the end when I was like "ughhh this is annoying!"

I guess we should start going to babynames.com and pull out the wildest names just to make sure we don't offend anyone. lol
Sarah

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 12:26:41 PM »

I'll slap a disclaimer on it the moment I get home. Funnily enough I think all the fans have been fictional so far anyway lol

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 12:47:18 PM »

Mine was definitely fictional! I apologize if I offended any Rachel's out there! I just needed a name, any name, and just randomly picked one that wasn't too out there!
Sarah

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 12:49:23 PM »

Mine was definitely fictional! I apologize if I offended any Rachel's out there! I just needed a name, any name, and just randomly picked one that wasn't too out there!

Don't you know my fourth middle name is Rachel?
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 12:51:24 PM »

I haven't written anything for this one yet, but I asked Rose this same question when we were discussing it last night - who are these fans Nick's killing?  Ourselves?  Each other?  Or random fictional fans?

We decided it could be a mix of both, whoever the author wants.  We never even talked about using it to kill off real people we don't like, although if I'm being honest, I could see it going there at some point, so thanks for the reminder that that would be against the rules.

I'm glad we can still create fictional fans (and give them generic names) because if we were just limited to killing ourselves or each other, we'd run out of fans to kill way before 1000 LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 12:52:23 PM »

Don't you know my fourth middle name is Rachel?

LMAO What are the other 3?
Sarah

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 12:54:03 PM »

Feel free to kill me off, I don't mind and won't be offended if you turn me into a crazy fan, lol.  It's only fiction after all ;)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 12:55:22 PM »

Ditto!  Personally, I think anyone who killed Nick in the other story is fair game, but I guess it'd be nice to check with them first. :P
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling
Pages: [1] 2 3 4