Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Questions I've pondered.  (Read 9514 times)

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
Questions I've pondered.
« on: August 14, 2011, 05:32:11 PM »

What gets you to read a story? Why do you stop reading? Would you answer honestly if an author asked you why you stopped reading? What makes you leave a review? Why don't you leave one?
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
Re: Questions I've pondered.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 05:58:57 PM »

I always wondered this too lol. I always leave a review. If I don't, it means I didn't read or I deleted the email link for the update and just forgot. But if I don't like a story I just do not review.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 06:03:48 PM »

It just makes me curious when my first chapter reads are so high and then they drop down dramatically over the next few chapters. I would love to know what made the readers lose interest in the story. 

I try to leave a review on all the stories I read because it is how I keep track of what chapter I'm on. LOL. 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 06:04:13 PM »

These questions come up so often in so many different places lol

I'll answer a when I first started reading versus now.

Back when I first started reading, it was the summary that would initially draw me in. (suspense, drama, action/adventure) If it seemed to center around Nick and contained all the guys, if there was no female in the summary or banner - for instance, "Constance Summers was..." *the sound of my scrolling past* Then, most likely i'd give it a try.

Nowadays, honestly I go by author. If I have read your stuff and I have thoroughly enjoyed it, I'll give it a try. Doesn't mean i'll actually stick with it and read it, but i'll at least read the first few chapters to get a sense of whether or not i'll like it. I will occasionally check out a random story if it sounds really interesting or if it's recommended by someone who I know likes the same things I like.

In the older days I rarely stopped reading. I had a lot more patience back then lol If I commited to readiing something I would see it all the way through, even if I ended up not liking it very much.

Now, there are a lot of factors but the main one being if it goes too long without being updated. If it gets to the point that to catch up with the story I'll have to go back and re-read it, I don't bother reading it anymore and then might check it out after it's completed. Just like back in the day, after i'm already invested in a story, i'll probably see it through to the end because if I don't stop reading after about the 10th chapter, that means it has managed to hold my interest. And it's HARD to hold my interest these days. LOL I have no attention span for fanfic anymore.

and in both cases, yes I would tell the author why if they asked. :)

Both then and now: I always leave reviews for the stories I read. Maybe not on every chapter, especially if they are complete and i'm reading more than one chapter at a time but I think it's really important to let the authors know that someone appreciates all the hard work they are doing. It only takes a minute to leave a review and you could always be the one person who makes that big of a difference to someone who maybe was 'this' close to stopping.

The only reason I will not leave a review is if i'm just trying to figure out if I want to read it or not. If i'm on the fence I don't say anything because I know for me personally, I go by regular readers to know how i'm doing and not how many reviews I have, so I like to really commit to the story before leaving regular reviews.

The other exception for me and this also goes for why i'd stop reading a story, as petty as it sounds, if the author doesn't respond to their reviews then I don't see why I should bother giving them one or bother reading the story. Seriously one of my BIGGEST pet peeves, especially if I see them even once elude to the fact that they want reviews!  LOL
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 06:08:52 PM »

that was informative Mare.

and I know it's been asked several times, I just was pondering it looking it at my read counts today. LOL.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 07:03:37 PM »

These are good questions!

I usually go by the summary when I'm looking for a story to read.  If the summary sounds interesting, I'll check it out.  I'll also try anything by favorite authors whose other stories I've enjoyed.  If I get through the first few chapters and find myself enjoying the story, I usually stick with it.

The only thing that makes me abandon a story after I've committed to it is if the author updates so infrequently that I find it hard to follow the plot.  Like Mare said, if I have to go back and reread previous chapters just to refresh my memory on what's going on in a newly posted chapter, that's my cue to stop reading and just wait for the thing to be finished so I can go back and reread all in one shot then.  I know I'll enjoy it more when I can really get into it again and read without having to stop and wait for updates.  If I've reviewed a story regularly up to a certain point and then stopped, chances are this is why, but I would answer honestly if the author asked, no matter what the reason was.

I review anything that I commit to reading, meaning I've gotten through the first few chapters and still felt like reading on.  If it's a story I'm following as it's being posted, I review every chapter.  If it's a story that's already finished, I usually just leave a couple of reviews, maybe one halfway through and definitely one at the end.  It's the mark of a good story that I'm so eager to click ahead to the next chapter, I don't feel like taking the time to review first LOL.

The only time I don't review something I read is, like Mare said, if I'm just previewing it to find out if I really want to read it or not.  If I know then that I'm not gonna stick with it, I don't bother to review.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 07:06:09 PM »

It just makes me curious when my first chapter reads are so high and then they drop down dramatically over the next few chapters. I would love to know what made the readers lose interest in the story. 

I would guess that everyone's are this way.  I know mine are.  The read/review count of the first chapter is always significantly higher than the chapters that follow it.  At least it shows that people are willing to give your story a try, even if they don't stick with it.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 07:14:33 PM »

that was informative Mare.

and I know it's been asked several times, I just was pondering it looking it at my read counts today. LOL.

I don't want to sound like a Debbie Downer when it comes to read counts but I don't think they're very reliable. I know I click on many chapters of stories and stories in general just to make sure they are formatted correctly and following rules etc... that would count as a 'read' even though technically I didn't even really read one sentence. Also if authors are kind of obsessive compulsive and tend to click on their own stories all the time, that counts as well. That's why the first chapter usually has the highest amount of counts because a lot of people tend to 'click' maybe read a sentence or two and then click out.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 07:18:11 PM »

That's true about read counts.  I always click on my own chapters to check and make sure they posted right, like Mare said, and if they didn't and I have to go back and edit something, then I rack up a few more hits on the read count.  It counts every single hit and refresh, even if it's just from one person, so it's definitely not reliable as a way to see how many different people have looked at your story.
~Julie

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 07:24:41 PM »

I've know it counts when someone clicks in it whether they read it or not which is why I was wondering about when people left reviews too.  I'd love to talk to someone that is actually reading a story but never reviews.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 07:27:23 PM »

That's true about read counts.  I always click on my own chapters to check and make sure they posted right, like Mare said, and if they didn't and I have to go back and edit something, then I rack up a few more hits on the read count.  It counts every single hit and refresh, even if it's just from one person, so it's definitely not reliable as a way to see how many different people have looked at your story.

yes, I do that too with my own stuff to see if it formatted correctly. Just like this engarde challenge, all of your read counts have probably gone up because I keep clicking on your stories to keep track of chapters read etc... lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 07:29:15 PM »

I've know it counts when someone clicks in it whether they read it or not which is why I was wondering about when people left reviews too.  I'd love to talk to someone that is actually reading a story but never reviews.

That would be nice, but chances are if they are too lazy or ambivilent to leave reviews they are also going to be the same way when it comes to posting in this thread LOL

I can tell you when this question has come up in the past, the biggest answer was that they didn't know what to say or didn't want to sound stupid, if that helps?

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 07:38:50 PM »

What gets you to read a story?

I'm one of the pickiest readers around these days. Like seriously picky LOL. One thing, is who wrote it. Like for example, if it's Julie or Mare, I already know I should click on it. Cause from my own experience I tend to enjoy everything they put out there. The other thing is the summary, while the banner may catch my eye, I don't click till I read the summary. Is it engaging, is it error free, and is it not a novel LOL. Cause overly wordy summaries annoy me.

The other thing is plot, I tend to not click romance. It's just not my thing most of the time. So usually if it IS romance, something needs to be unique about it. If it's supernatural, action/adventure, horror, suspense, drama/angst, I'll usually give it a look. And the other thing is who it's about, it usually needs to be a Group fic, Nick fic, or a Brian fic. I'll sometimes click for Kevin, once in a blue moon AJ, but Howie usually gets ignored. (Sorry Howie)

Once we get past all those, then I'll click LOL.

Why do you stop reading?

Sometimes an author can have great ideas but just bad follow through. Lots of errors, or horrible formatting are turnoffs too. And sometimes it's simply a lack of time, which isn't the author's fault, I'm just busy lol. And sometimes the plot takes a turn I'm not comfortable with, and I'll end up clicking out.

Would you answer honestly if an author asked you why you stopped reading?

If they really wanted to know, yes. But if the answer wasn't pretty, I'd warn them first.

What makes you leave a review? Why don't you leave one?

Usually I leave a review when I enjoy something, or when I have something to comment on. If I don't review it's because I didn't like it, but I don't want to hurt the author's feelings.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 07:44:54 PM »

I can tell you when this question has come up in the past, the biggest answer was that they didn't know what to say or didn't want to sound stupid, if that helps?

Yeah, I've heard that from people too.  A lot of people are surprisingly shy about reviewing.  Some just may be lazy too, especially here when you have to have an account and log in to do it.  I can kind of understand that when it's a reader who doesn't write, but to me, there is no excuse for writers not reviewing each other's work when they're genuinely reading a story.  In fact, it pisses me off, the same way that not responding to reviews does.  I'm totally with Mare there.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 07:51:47 PM »

Yeah, I've heard that from people too.  A lot of people are surprisingly shy about reviewing.  Some just may be lazy too, especially here when you have to have an account and log in to do it.  I can kind of understand that when it's a reader who doesn't write, but to me, there is no excuse for writers not reviewing each other's work when they're genuinely reading a story.  In fact, it pisses me off, the same way that not responding to reviews does.  I'm totally with Mare there.

Definitely, that's one thing that drives me crazy. I mean as a writer, we all love reviews. It is what it is. It's not why we write, but we still enjoy them. So you would think other writers would get that and make sure to review. Drives me nutty.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury
Pages: [1] 2 3 4