Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Questions I've pondered.  (Read 9518 times)

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
Re: Questions I've pondered.
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 07:55:07 PM »

I leave reviews because it's not fair to want them from all of you if I'm not leaving them in return.  I also hope that if I read and review someone else's story they might click on mine and give it a go. Is that wrong of me?
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 07:56:42 PM »

Yeah, to me, it's just part of reading etiquette.  I think it's rude to read every chapter of a story and never review, and fellow writers should know better.  Laziness is not an excuse.  It takes all of ten seconds to type even a one-sentence review, which is better than nothing.  Obviously, taking a few minutes to write something a little more detailed would be ideal, but hey, baby steps LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2011, 07:58:08 PM »

I leave reviews because it's not fair to want them from all of you if I'm not leaving them in return.  I also hope that if I read and review someone else's story they might click on mine and give it a go. Is that wrong of me?

It's not wrong, although I wouldn't expect people to do that just because you've reviewed their stuff.  Reading and reviewing should be something you do because you genuinely like the story, not because you feel obligated to do it, like you "owe" that author reviews.  But it's certainly nice when it goes both ways!
~Julie

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2011, 07:59:38 PM »

No I don't want them to "owe" me.  I just get my name out there.. lol.  I definitely don't expect people whose stories I enjoy and review to turn around and read mine. 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2011, 08:02:16 PM »

Sure, that makes sense.  And that does work sometimes; I know I'm more likely to at least give something a try when I see it's written by someone who has been a regular reviewer of my stories.  I love to return the favor when I can, but I won't review if it's not really something that appeals to me, because that would be fake.  Pity reviews are degrading.
~Julie

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2011, 08:10:26 PM »

Sure, that makes sense.  And that does work sometimes; I know I'm more likely to at least give something a try when I see it's written by someone who has been a regular reviewer of my stories.  I love to return the favor when I can, but I won't review if it's not really something that appeals to me, because that would be fake.  Pity reviews are degrading.

Too true, nobody wants pity reviews. 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2011, 08:18:23 PM »

That's why it drives me nuts to see people begging for reviews.  What's the point of that?  Those who review are going to review anyway, if they're genuinely enjoying your story.  Those who don't review probably still won't.  The only reviews anyone attracts by begging for them are pity reviews from people who see them begging and feel sorry for them.  At the same time, people who don't feel sorry for them and instead are annoyed by that kind of attention-seeking behavior are less likely to even give the story a chance, let alone review.  So they probably lose as many potential reviews as they gain by begging.
~Julie

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2011, 08:23:36 PM »

What do you think of stories that change their summaries?   I've been thinking of divulging more of what the story is about for Chronos Project.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2011, 08:29:50 PM »

It hurts me when someone reads almost the whole story, then just stops and never explains why they stopped. I am not gonna be upset...people should be honest. I leave a review for 99 percent of everything I read.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2011, 08:32:13 PM »

What do you think of stories that change their summaries?   I've been thinking of divulging more of what the story is about for Chronos Project.

I think that's a good idea.  Sometimes it's hard to write a summary if you're not totally sure where the story's going to go when you first post it.  Or sometimes you just think up a better summary later.  Go for it!
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2011, 08:34:03 PM »

It hurts me when someone reads almost the whole story, then just stops and never explains why they stopped. I am not gonna be upset...people should be honest. I leave a review for 99 percent of everything I read.

You can always ask the person if it bothers you that much.

You're a great reviewer, Tracy.  I wish everyone was like that!
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2011, 08:39:46 PM »

I would just ask, like you did me when life majorly got in the way for me lol. In an ideal world, I'd have sooooo much time to write and read and omg that would be lovely. ;D

And ditto on what Julie said, you're one of my fave reviewers! :)
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2011, 09:19:13 PM »

If you only read it to get them to read yours, then yes I do think it's wrong. Maybe because I haven't ever thought that way but another pet peeve of mine is when someone checks out a story and leaves a very generic review and in that review they mention their own story, it irks me to no end! LOL It hasn't happened in a very long time to me but then I noticed when I dinn't check out their story they suddenly stopped reviewing mine.

If you want to read a story then read it but don't read it just because you want a sympathy read from that person. I would hope that no one is reading my story just because I am reading theirs. I want you to read it because you are enjoying it, not because you feel obliged to.

I mean, if you feel like "wow this person always checks my stuff out so I think i'll check hers out." Then tha's different. I'm talking about when you intentionally do it in the hopes that they will read yours. Not saying that's what you're doing but for anyone doing that, it's douchey!

LOL In my humble opinion of course. 
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2011, 09:22:28 PM »

another pet peeve of mine is when someone checks out a story and leaves a very generic review and in that review they mention their own story, it irks me to no end! LOL It hasn't happened in a very long time to me but then I noticed when I dinn't check out their story they suddenly stopped reviewing mine.

OMG, that's the worst!  That is way up there on the shameless whore meter LOL.  I agree; don't use a review for someone else's story as a way to promote your own.  Tacky!!
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2011, 09:30:51 PM »

Awww thanks lol *blushes* I try. I love to leave someone feedback cause I know how it can help the person writing the story. As for asking people I don't want to look needy...I am a shy person and don't like to make enemies of my readers. Does that make sense?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4