Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Questions I've pondered.  (Read 9516 times)

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
Re: Questions I've pondered.
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2011, 09:31:00 PM »

If you only read it to get them to read yours, then yes I do think it's wrong. Maybe because I haven't ever thought that way but another pet peeve of mine is when someone checks out a story and leaves a very generic review and in that review they mention their own story, it irks me to no end! LOL It hasn't happened in a very long time to me but then I noticed when I dinn't check out their story they suddenly stopped reviewing mine.

If you want to read a story then read it but don't read it just because you want a sympathy read from that person. I would hope that no one is reading my story just because I am reading theirs. I want you to read it because you are enjoying it, not because you feel obliged to.

I mean, if you feel like "wow this person always checks my stuff out so I think i'll check hers out." Then tha's different. I'm talking about when you intentionally do it in the hopes that they will read yours. Not saying that's what you're doing but for anyone doing that, it's douchey!

LOL In my humble opinion of course. 

No I mean it in the second way!!! I would never do the first.    
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2011, 09:31:47 PM »

I didn't realize there were so many replies after I replied to you, Lore lol So yeah, in summary I agree with what Julie and Rose just said.

And I don't get why writers don't review what they read. It's something that annoys me as well. Sometimes when someone says to me, "Oh I read that a long time ago and loved it!" I want to ask then why didn't you leave a review? LOL

I know back in the day when we all relied on emails to get feedback it was harder but now on AC it's so easy to leave a review and to respond! There's no excuse at all!

I know I sound like a snob lol I don't mean to be but it honestly just does bug me, when writers do not use writing etiquette. I mean, it depends on the person of course because we are all different, but if you constantly whine about wanting reviews and not getting enough reviews and why doesn't anyone read my stuff? And then you turn around and say you have read a billion stories and haven't reviewed a single one, why on earth should anyone do the same for you?

If you never complain about reviews and don't leave them, then you don't bug me as much. It's just the way you are, I still don't understand it but ah well.  

As far as changing summaries, I don't think it's ever too late to do that as long as you don't keep changng it because for me, I know when I see a summary constantly changing I think that the author isn't sure what the story is about themselves and it makes me not want to read it.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2011, 09:46:15 PM »

Awww thanks lol *blushes* I try. I love to leave someone feedback cause I know how it can help the person writing the story. As for asking people I don't want to look needy...I am a shy person and don't like to make enemies of my readers. Does that make sense?

That totally makes sense.  In that case, I would just not worry about it.  If they really liked the story, they'll come back to it and finish it eventually.  Maybe they already did and just didn't review for whatever reason.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2011, 09:51:00 PM »

I know I sound like a snob lol I don't mean to be but it honestly just does bug me, when writers do not use writing etiquette. I mean, it depends on the person of course because we are all different, but if you constantly whine about wanting reviews and not getting enough reviews and why doesn't anyone read my stuff? And then you turn around and say you have read a billion stories and haven't reviewed a single one, why on earth should anyone do the same for you?

I know certain individuals here think I'm an elitist snob too, but I don't think having this opinion makes us snobby.  Like you said, it's just writing etiquette.  To me, it's the same as sending a thank-you note when you get a gift.  If you've been entertained by someone's story that they took the time to write and post for free, you can at least take a few minutes to leave a review to show your appreciation for it.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2011, 09:53:30 PM »

I agree! Or respond to your reviews. It takes the same amount of time, even less because usually it's just a "thanks for reading!" LOL
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2011, 10:01:57 PM »

Yep, I agree, that's an etiquette thing, too.  It goes both ways.
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2011, 10:04:22 PM »

I almost always respond to reviews. usually right away...but if I didn't right away it is because I was busy. I do like responding to them :)

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2011, 10:05:25 PM »

if there are a stream of reviews from the same person in a row I will usually only respond to the latest one, but I do like to respond to my reviews. :-D
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2011, 10:14:11 PM »

I respond to every single review I get. If they take the time to review, I feel like I should at least take the time to reply. :)
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2011, 05:08:04 AM »

What gets you to read a story?
The summary and banner are what draw my attention, also who the story is by.  If it's by someone I've read previously and enjoyed, I'm more likely to click on the new story.  If I like the first chapter, then I'll carry on, if not, I usually click away.

Why do you stop reading?
If I find the story boring, or don't like where it's going.  Or sometimes I might start a story and go back to it once it's done, especially if I'm already reading a lot of others, or if the writer doesn't update very often/too often for me to keep up with.  Sometimes I start reading a story and save it in my favourites to read another time.  If I've put in a lot of time reading, then I'll see a story through to the end, no matter how long it takes me.

Would you answer honestly if an author asked you why you stopped reading?
I'm not sure.  I wouldn't like it if someone told me they stopped reading my story because it was crap, so I wouldn't do it to others.  Depends who the person was I suppose.

What makes you leave a review? Why don't you leave one?
I always review what I've read, it's only polite to let the author know you've enjoyed their hard work.  Same goes for replies to reviews, I always reply.  It really annoys me when an author doesn't reply to her reviews, or only replies to certain readers.  It makes me not want to leave a review, but because of the way I am, I still leave reviews.  It only takes a minute!

The only time I don't review is if I've not liked the first chapter and have decided not to carry on.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2011, 05:40:16 AM »

^ oh that bugs me even more! When authors only reply to certain people but not everyone. And it's interesting you said that if they update too often you'll wait as well, Steph. I never thought of that but I can see that being overwhelming as well. If things are being updated more than once a day and it's hard to keep track of what you read and what you would still have to read. LOL

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2011, 06:51:26 AM »

I also never look at the read count because I know that doesn't really mean a thing.  People could be clicking on the story and then straight back out again.  I've done that before.

Something else that I saw mentioned was pity reviews.  I wouldn't want them either, lol.  Although reviews are nice and we all like them, I wouldn't beg for them.  In fact, I have a hard time even promoting my stories as I don't like pushing things onto people.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2011, 10:38:22 AM »

^ oh that bugs me even more! When authors only reply to certain people but not everyone. And it's interesting you said that if they update too often you'll wait as well, Steph. I never thought of that but I can see that being overwhelming as well. If things are being updated more than once a day and it's hard to keep track of what you read and what you would still have to read. LOL

That bugs me, too, and I've done the same thing - held off on reading a story because it was updated multiple times a day, and it got to be too hard to keep up with, unless I was home all day and reading chapters as soon as they were posted.  But that takes some dedication; I usually don't have time for that.  It's easier to just wait till it's done and read it all in one shot, so I don't have to keep trying to figure out what chapter I left off on.
~Julie

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2011, 10:55:48 AM »

^ hence the somewhat selfish reason I review. LOL.  To remember where I left off.  That sounds bad, but really I want to review anyway, it just helps me out to leave the review too.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2011, 11:35:09 AM »

I don't like when someone says "I won't update until I see more reviews". You should write for fun and not to please people. I also don't like when someone responds to some reviews and not others, its a big turn off for me when I'm reading.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4