Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Concrit  (Read 4711 times)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
Re: Concrit
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2011, 11:31:47 AM »

Ritz, I never know when to use the , or ; either :)  I just put them where I think!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2011, 10:43:59 PM »

I can answer the question about commas vs. semicolons! :)

Say you have two complete thoughts, such as:

1.  Constructive criticism can be really helpful.
2.  I wish I got more of it.

Instead of keeping them two, separate, simple sentences, you decide you want to combine them into a compound sentence.  You have a couple of choices:

1. Constructive criticism can be really helpful, and I wish I got more of it.
2. Constructive criticism can be really helpful; I wish I got more of it.

In the first example, you would use a comma because you have a conjunction (and) to join the two complete thoughts together.

In the second example, the semicolon just takes the place of the period that would separate them if you made them two sentences.  You don't need a conjunction when you use a semicolon.

There are lots of other uses for commas, too, but when joining sentences together like this, the rule of thumb is that if you're using a conjunction (and, but, or, since, so, etc.), stick a comma before it, and if you're not using a conjunction, use a semicolon.  Which route you go is just a stylistic choice.  In this case, I would prefer #2; I think it sounds better.  Some writers might prefer #1.  Both are right!

Hope that helps!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2011, 03:56:17 AM »

Thanks Julie, that's really helpful :)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2011, 09:43:21 PM »

No problem!  I never used to use semicolons much, but now I love them!
~Julie

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2011, 01:30:40 PM »

How do you guys feel about concrit, has there been a case where you got some and it helped you turn your writing around?

I love betas for this very reason...I think in a good beta relationship, you get concrit but in a way that you can actually do something about it.  It has helped me so much to have a great sounding board for my ideas and someone to read and give feedback before it is out there for all to see.  For me, it's sometimes frustrating to get good concrit after you have finished a project because you can't make changes and really utilize it.  I am kind of feeling like this with the reading challenge we are currently doing.  I love the feedback/concrit I am getting, and wish it would have come along when I was writing instead of after the fact.

Do you get offended when you see concrit? I know some people get defensive about it at times. Why?

When done in a positive, constructive way, no.  Sometimes, people can be really mean about it and that isn't constructive or going to have any positive impact on a writer.  I think another reason people get offended is because they don't see their own downfalls and when given honest feedback, it forces them to face a weakness that they don't want to see. 

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2011, 01:52:37 PM »

Darby, I think that's a great point about having a beta reader to give you concrit as you're writing, compared to getting it after the story is finished.  It's definitely more valuable while the story's in progress, especially if you have that person who will read and critique before you post it for the public, so you can make changes.

I know some people rewrite stories, but that's a huge pain in the ass, and while it may make the writer feel better, sometimes it actually pisses the readers off.  I don't want my favorite stories being rewritten; I like them just the way they are!  It's like George Lucas rereleasing the original Star Wars trilogy with new CGI effects - he may think it looks better that way, but most of the hardcore fans hated it!

I think the best thing you can do with concrit given after the fact is take it, learn from it, and try to apply it to future stories.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2011, 03:43:27 PM »

I agree with this too but everytime I see the word Beta, I think of my dead fish Herbie the Happy Fish fish :( He was a beta and a damned good one!

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2011, 06:32:42 PM »

I agree with this too but everytime I see the word Beta, I think of my dead fish Herbie the Happy Fish fish :( He was a beta and a damned good one!

Lol!!

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2011, 02:38:52 AM »

Julie, thank you for your simple explanation! Sometimes it's really hard to understand what the text books are saying....  :)
A world without Alex is a wasted space.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2011, 06:45:58 AM »

No problem, glad it made sense! :)
~Julie

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2011, 06:52:11 AM »

it does! and you might be seeing a lot of ; from me from now on....  :)
A world without Alex is a wasted space.
Pages: 1 [2]