Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Engarde!!! The writing challenge's final chapter :O(  (Read 7327 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Engarde!!! The writing challenge's final chapter :O(
« on: August 22, 2011, 08:02:11 AM »

Thought i'd start one final thread for this since we are nearing the end of this challenge and I don't think people who finished have been checking the thread. I'd love to use this thread as a dicsussion thread for all the stories that were read. Some final thoughts and of course the final surveys you guys still need to fill out etc...

:)

Most of you have completed the reading part of the challlenge, which of course is the most important part.

There are a few of you in danger of not finishing this challenge. I hope you guys step up and are able to do it, if nothing more than for the people whose stories you're reading.

Mel - You still need to read 6 more chapters of 00Carter
Saka Steph - You need to read 44 more chapters of 00Carter

Rachel and everyone above - You need to fill out your survey about the story you read

All of you have until Next Wednesday to complete this challenge!

Everyone else, don't forget to fill out the reader's survey!

:)  
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 07:43:58 PM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 07:44:38 PM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Engarde!!! The writing challenge's final chapter :O(
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 08:07:53 AM »

This is the readers final survey. Fill it out only if your reader has finished your story, and be honest! If you feel like your reader didn't give you adequate feedback, now's the time to ask for more details or clarification, etc... but remember only ask if you are willing to listen to the answer.

I'll be back on Monday for more bugging! (You know you all love me!) lol

Who was the person reading your story?

1. Did you get regular feedback on your chapters from your reader?

2. Did you respond to that feedback?

3. Did your reader take the time and post about what they read in the forum thread?

4.  Do you feel like you got the amount of feedback you were expecting?

5. Was there anything that the reader of your story said that surprised you?

6. Do you feel like the feedback you got was constructive and something you would use as a tool to help you out later?

7. Overall did you think this was a positive experience? Why or why not?

8. Is there any question you have for your reader that you would like them to elaborate on?

9. Would you consider taking part in something like this again?

10. Do you have any comments for your reader or anyone in general who may want to read your story in the future?

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 08:13:01 AM »

I'll go first I guess lol I have two of these to fill out so i'll start with Kristal!

Who was the person reading your story? Kristal (alota-cookin)

1. Did you get regular feedback on your chapters from your reader? Yes I did.

2. Did you respond to that feedback? Always

3. Did your reader take the time and post about what they read in the forum thread? Yes, she did and I appreciated it!

4.  Do you feel like you got the amount of feedback you were expecting? I wasn't sure how much feedback to expect so I was very pleased with the amount I got so, yes. lol

5. Was there anything that the reader of your story said that surprised you? Not really. lol

6. Do you feel like the feedback you got was constructive and something you would use as a tool to help you out later? It was more reactionary than anything else and I enjoyed that. It gave me a chance to see what she was thinking when she was reading it.

7. Overall did you think this was a positive experience? Why or why not? I did enjoy it. At first I was scared. It's always scary when you know someone is reading this only because they have to for a challenge, but yes it ended up being great. I always looked forward to knowing what their thougths or opinions were going to be on any given chapter.

8. Is there any question you have for your reader that you would like them to elaborate on? Not really, I think Kristal was pretty clear on how she felt about the story.

9. Would you consider taking part in something like this again? Absolutely

10. Do you have any comments for your reader or anyone in general who may want to read your story in the future? I just wanted to thank Kristal for giving my story a try. I know it's not something she would normally read and to see her so receptive to it was awesome!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who was the person reading your story? Erika (kevmylove)

1. Did you get regular feedback on your chapters from your reader? Yes

2. Did you respond to that feedback? Always!

3. Did your reader take the time and post about what they read in the forum thread? Yes she did

4.  Do you feel like you got the amount of feedback you were expecting? Yup

5. Was there anything that the reader of your story said that surprised you? Nope lol

6. Do you feel like the feedback you got was constructive and something you would use as a tool to help you out later? Just like kristal, Erika's feedback was more reactionary so it was the same type of thing as far as looking forward to seeing what she thought of some of the chapters.

7. Overall did you think this was a positive experience? Why or why not? Yup same answer as above lol

8. Is there any question you have for your reader that you would like them to elaborate on? Nope, but I am curious to know if she did go anf read the short story about the attacker? lol

9. Would you consider taking part in something like this again? Yuppers, my mind did not change from ten seconds ago lol

10. Do you have any comments for your reader or anyone in general who may want to read your story in the future? Just wanted to thank you to Erika for reading, commenting and reviewing this story. I appreciate it!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
carterkid's survey

Who was the person reading your story?  Purpura Lipstick

1. Did you get regular feedback on your chapters from your reader? here and there

2. Did you respond to that feedback? yeah

3. Did your reader take the time and post about what they read in the forum thread? Yes  

4.  Do you feel like you got the amount of feedback you were expecting? more then that (Not meaning to copy the song lol)

5. Was there anything that the reader of your story said that surprised you? some of it

6. Do you feel like the feedback you got was constructive and something you would use as a tool to help you out later? Yes! Thanks so much!

7. Overall did you think this was a positive experience? Why or why not? Yup I've learned not to go so fast.

8. Is there any question you have for your reader that you would like them to elaborate on? Nope

9. Would you consider taking part in something like this again? Very much yes!

10. Do you have any comments for your reader or anyone in general who may want to read your story in the future?no
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steph's Survey

Who was the person reading your story? Tracy

2. Did you respond to that feedback? Always

3. Did your reader take the time and post about what they read in the forum thread? Yes she did

4.  Do you feel like you got the amount of feedback you were expecting? Yes

5. Was there anything that the reader of your story said that surprised you? Not really.  Tracy did say the story was short, which it was.  I was trying to make it like an episode of Supernatural, lol.

6. Do you feel like the feedback you got was constructive and something you would use as a tool to help you out later? The feedback was more a reaction to the story, but Tracy did mention that it ended too soon.

7. Overall did you think this was a positive experience? Why or why not? Yes, I think it was a positive experience because it was good to know what a reader who wouldn't usually read this kind of thing actually thought of my story.  I would definitely take part in something like this again.

8. Is there any question you have for your reader that you would like them to elaborate on? Can't think of anything right now.

9. Would you consider taking part in something like this again? Definitely!

10. Do you have any comments for your reader or anyone in general who may want to read your story in the future? Thanks for taking the time to read and review!  I really appreciate it
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 08:15:38 AM by mare »

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 08:14:56 AM »

Krystle's Survey:

Who was the person reading your story? Mare

2. Did you respond to that feedback?
Yes. I try to make sure  always respond.
3. Did your reader take the time and post about what they read in the forum thread? Yes she did. She posted some great summaries and thoughts.

4.  Do you feel like you got the amount of feedback you were expecting?
Yes I did. When I found out Mare was reading my story I had a feeling I would get a lot of feedback, which is what I was looking for.
5. Was there anything that the reader of your story said that surprised you? No not really.
6. Do you feel like the feedback you got was constructive and something you would use as a tool to help you out later? Yes. Mare made note there was a lot of dialogue. I’ll try and remember to add more descriptive paragraphs.

7. Overall did you think this was a positive experience? Why or why not?
Yes. It was better than I thought.

8. Is there any question you have for your reader that you would like them to elaborate on? No. I felt I got very good feedback.

9. Would you consider taking part in something like this again? yes

10. Do you have any comments for your reader or anyone in general who may want to read your story in the future? Just thanks to mare for taking the time to read and give feedback. For anyone else who chooses to read, I would love more feedback.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tracy's Survey:

Who was the person reading your story? Carter-Orange

1. Did you get regular feedback on your chapters from your reader? Not every chapter but she did review frequently.

2. Did you respond to that feedback? Yes I did.

3. Did your reader take the time and post about what they read in the forum thread? Yes she did.

4.  Do you feel like you got the amount of feedback you were expecting? Yeah she commented every 3 chapters or so.

5. Was there anything that the reader of your story said that surprised you? I was surprised at some of the comments....lo oking back it made me question myself as a writer.

6. Do you feel like the feedback you got was constructive and something you would use as a tool to help you out later? In a way it did. It was an old story and my writing has improved a lot since YGLANBN was written. I probably should have picked a more current story.

7. Overall did you think this was a positive experience? Why or why not? It was...I enjoyed it. But for personal reasons, it made me rethink some things. I don't blame the challenge, I have changed as a writer.

8. Is there any question you have for your reader that you would like them to elaborate on? No she was pretty clear.

9. Would you consider taking part in something like this again?
Yes I would.

10. Do you have any comments for your reader or anyone in general who may want to read your story in the future? You Give Love A Bad Name was my first fanfic. I probably made a bad choice in picking that, but it was completed and I wanted some constructive criticism on it. I would love for someone to read the other stories in the series and do the same. I really appreciate her taking the time to read and giving me a chance.

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 11:27:21 PM »

Thoughts on Sinister Devotion

I have read through Chapter 20 of Sinister Devotion and here are a few thoughts...

I am really enjoying Jack as a character.  I feel like I really know him and we are really exploring his issues.  Even though his job is very inhuman and he began very machine like in some ways, I love the way Erika has really let us see him becoming human in his own words.  I feel like I know Jack really well and I think he is a very well rounded character.

Admittedly, I am not an action person and I think that is why I keep finding myself getting confused at the transition from Jack's thinking to the first person description of the action that is taking place combined with a lot of dialogue.  I think it is just a preference, I like detailed description and I wish there was a bit more of the scene rather than just being told this is what is happening. 

I'm really not sure how I feel about Crystal...I don't feel like I really know her well because I know things about her, but we haven't really gotten inside of her they way we have with Jack.  I hope that her character develops more as the story progresses because she plays just as much of a role as Jack.

Overall, good story - grammatically correct with only an occasional error.  Interesting story line...very unique and great male lead.

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 07:43:35 PM »

Hey Darby I'm glad you are feeling better and have been able to read more SD. I'm happy to hear that you think Jack is a well rounded character and that you caught his changes in his personality. I was hoping the readers could feel his emotions. It's a big change for him. So, I'm glad you you are enjoying his character. Because that was a big worry of mine. I was so into writing the story, that sometimes I just went with the flow and didn't realize something until someone would mention it. +

As for the action sequence...I thought putting the action through his eyes was the only way to do it. I really wouldn't have been able to/or thought it was possible to write the action in any other POV. Could I have done that actually?

I think that's a big flaw of mine. I was so engrossed with Jack telling his story, that I don't think I got to in depth with Crystal's character. Oops! Thank you for your honest feedback as you commented on the concrit thread, I wish I could have recieved some concrit before I finished the stot. thanks again Darby. ;)

Mare I read the story. I found it sad that his dad had so much influence on what he became. He had so much pent up anger and an obsession with what was his (mine). Poor Nick for being the guy that pushed his buttons that night. I doubt he didn't cause he was rude. lol.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 07:50:27 PM »

Thanks Erika! :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 02:41:05 PM »

this is Summer's survey for her story. YAY to you finishing this Summer! :)

1) Name of the story you read and the author and what you feel the genre is. Your answer might be different then the authors. A Little Taste Of Sin – Romance and Drama

2) Would you have ever read this story if it wasn't a challenge?  No just cause I saw how long the chapters were and I tend to stay away from long chapters.

3) What was your favorite scene?
I think I would have to say when Alyssa shows up at the condo for the first time and  its raining... I won't give to much details on the scene but very romantic.

4) Who was your favorite character and why?
Nick just because when I first started the story I had a very different opinion of him as being more of a jerk (maybe cause of the way Alyssa viewed him at first) but as I read on he really had changed and he became a very mature person.

5) Overall tell us one reason why you think someone else should/or shouldn't read this story. Now that I've read the story I think its a good read especially if you love details. It has drama, romance, even a little angst. If you like sappy romances this is a good read.

6) Did it convert you to the genre it is? Would you be willing to read another story just like it? Well I love Romance but did convert me to read Nick romances more often. Yes I would read more romance.

7) Give one piece of concrit that might help the author for future reference. This can be positive too, concrit doesn't always mean negative. Like I've mentioned to Mel before its a great story, but me the only issue was the long chapters and sometimes just the chapter didn't need all the explaining. Mel did an great job capturing the feeling though and I enjoyed it once I got into it.

8) This should be the question the author asked in their survey. Everyone's will be different. I think the drama is believable it did go with the genre of Drama and Romance. So no, I think it fit your story.

9) Would you recommend this story and author to another person? Why or why not
Yes if you like a Nick Romance I think you will enjoy this story.

10) Out of 10 stars what would you give this story?

11) Do you think after you are done reading what's there so far (and you only have to read however many chapters are there when the start of this challenge was given) Do you think you will continue to read the story through to the end to see what happens to the characters?

And for those of you reading completed stories, if there was a sequel, would you be curious enough to continue reading on? I'm a little curious and I might check it out.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 04:54:52 PM »

Rose, Saka Steph, Mel, Imke and Darby, you are two days away from epically failing at this challenge.

you are making the boys very unhappy.

:( :-[ :shrug: :'( >:(

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 05:40:04 PM »

No epic failure lol. Fear not, it will be done by Wednesday, I'm taking time tonight and after school tomorrow to read :)
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 06:57:34 PM »

I will not fail either...about to crack open a few chapters tonight!

TheDistantHeart

• Major Disruption
  • Would you risk it for a chocolate biscuit?
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 12:35:52 PM »

I have the story opened as I'm typing this so I'm going to finish reading and I will fill in the surveys as well. :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 02:19:39 PM »

One more day! So far Darby's the only one who has gootten any further. LOL

Let's go peeps!!

TheDistantHeart

• Major Disruption
  • Would you risk it for a chocolate biscuit?
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 03:03:53 PM »

I finished the last chapters of the story and... wow. Before the last two chapters, I was going from one thought to the other and back. "Oh I'm sure Avery is quitting her job and be with Nick!" "Aw no, she's not. I bet she's not." "Ooooh I just KNOW she's choosing Nick!"

Then the last two chapters came and I was totally gutted. Not gonna spoil much but I'm so sad to see how it ended! But, sadly, there can't always be a happy end. :(

I liked how Nick and Avery's argueing back and forth didn't become too much. Like, he didn't call her thousand times and you'd get the same argument over and over again. It was just enough to know about both of their feelings.

Going to fill in the surveys! :)
Pages: [1] 2