Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Engarde!!! The writing challenge's final chapter :O(  (Read 7326 times)

TheDistantHeart

• Major Disruption
  • Would you risk it for a chocolate biscuit?
Re: Engarde!!! The writing challenge's final chapter :O(
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 03:27:38 PM »

1) Name of the story you read and the author and what you feel the genre is. Your answer might be different then the authors. Love This Pain by myconfession (Karah). Genre: romance and drama.

2) Would you have ever read this story if it wasn't a challenge? Yeah, I've seen people talking about it on Twitter and AC about how great the story is and I was planning to read it someday. Glad I did! :)

3) What was your favorite scene?
Hmm.. I had to think about this for a while and I have two. The first one is where Nick and Avery went on a true date (the carriage was so romantic!) and the second one is where Nick punched AJ in the face LOL

4) Who was your favorite character and why?
Nick. I don't really know how to explain why. He's just such a nice (although persistent) guy and he keeps on fighting to make their relationship work. I also felt so sorry for him throughout the entire story and I tend to like characters I feel sorry for lol

5) Overall tell us one reason why you think someone else should/or shouldn't read this story.
People should read this story if they like a good romance with a good portion of drama but don't like reading a romance/drama that is more than 50 chapters long. If you really don't like stories with sad endings, then I'd say, don't. You're missing out on a great story though LOL

6) Did it convert you to the genre it is? Would you be willing to read another story just like it?
I already read romances and also Nick romances but lately didn't read much of it because sometimes there's either too much drama and not enough romance, or too much romance and not enough drama and I like a good balance between those two and this story was exactly that. It did make me more open for romances and I'm going to look up more of them. :)

7) Give one piece of concrit that might help the author for future reference. This can be positive too, concrit doesn't always mean negative.
It's really well written, not too detailed but it didn't leave out details either. It's not too sappy, the drama isn't too dramatic (although the end is pretty dramatic but that's nothing bad. Stories need sad endings too lol). Also, the characters were believable. They didn't do or say anything that is unlike their character. It keeps you hooked and makes you want to read more. I don't really have any negative to say about this story. It's just really good!

8) This should be the question the author asked in their survey. Everyone's will be different.
The question was Do you think the sex scenes are too much for the story, even considering what you know about the characters by the end of the story? And no, I didn't think the sex scenes were too much. I didn't think there were too many and I didn't think they were described in too much detail.  

9) Would you recommend this story and author to another person? Why or why not
Yes, if you like a Nick drama/romance, you will definitely like this!

10) Out of 10 stars what would you give this story?

11) Do you think after you are done reading what's there so far (and you only have to read however many chapters are there when the start of this challenge was given) Do you think you will continue to read the story through to the end to see what happens to the characters? N/A

And for those of you reading completed stories, if there was a sequel, would you be curious enough to continue reading on? I don't think a sequel is possible for this one lol
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 02:24:21 AM by TheDistantHeart »

TheDistantHeart

• Major Disruption
  • Would you risk it for a chocolate biscuit?
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 03:55:47 PM »

1. Did you get regular feedback on your chapters from your reader? Hmm. No. On the story itself, there were reviews on chapters 1, 2 and 4 and then it stopped. I don't know why, might be because there wasn't much to review about but I'd liked reviews after chapter 4 too. Also thought there wasn't much feedback left in the challenge's topic either.

2. Did you respond to that feedback? This question is very painful because, no, I didn't. I can tell a thousand excuses and I could also quickly go to my reviews and reply to them and answer this question with "Yes I did!" but I won't 'cause that would look stupid. The only reason is because I forgot. *hangs head* I know. I suck.

3. Did your reader take the time and post about what they read in the forum thread? Not really.

4.  Do you feel like you got the amount of feedback you were expecting? To be honest, I expected a little more.

5. Was there anything that the reader of your story said that surprised you? Yeah, sort of. The bits about how confusing it was and that there was some repetitive information. I never noticed it but it's good to hear from a reader's perspective. I now wonder if my other readers thought the same but just never told me lol

6. Do you feel like the feedback you got was constructive and something you would use as a tool to help you out later? Yes! I have to be honest, the first time I read her survey I had to swallow and felt a bit, I don't know, disappointed? Because it was constructive but not really positive. That's good though! I'd rather want Sapphire to be honest instead of leaving things out. I just have a hard time reading criticism, whether that's constructive or not but that's why I participate in things like these; to learn to accept it. I do accept her advice and constructive criticism and I'm definitely going to do something with it. I read her survey again today and I don't feel the same way I did when I first read it. I'm glad she told me about the too much details and POVs. I was already planning to rewrite it and now I know what to change. :)

7. Overall did you think this was a positive experience? Why or why not? Yes. Finally there's someone who gives me constructive criticism. That helps me improve my story AND my writing skills.

8. Is there any question you have for your reader that you would like them to elaborate on? Don't have any questions.

9. Would you consider taking part in something like this again? Only when I have a story that's nearly finished or finished 'cause I realized participating with a story that's not even half finished isn't really working.

10. Do you have any comments for your reader or anyone in general who may want to read your story in the future? No. I'd rather have people not read it right now because it really HAS to get rewritten.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 03:59:58 PM by TheDistantHeart »

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 04:44:13 PM »

Yay Imke!! :)

Oh and everyone else, even if your reader is epically failing at finishing your story, please fill out the readers survey. It's really important to let them know how you feel like they did and how much it did or didn't impact you.

:)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2011, 05:45:27 PM »

Finished! (Told you I wouldn't fail :P)

About to go do the surveys.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2011, 05:59:27 PM »

YAY Rose!

Okay Darby, Saka Steph who is on the forum now ans hopefully reading at the same time! And Mel!! You need to finish this. Poor 00Carter has two people reading it and both epically failing on it.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2011, 06:01:46 PM »

1) Name of the story you read and the author and what you feel the genre is. Your answer might be different then the authors.

Casual by cabybakes - it's labeled as a drama, but she really should tack the romance genre on there too LOL.

2) Would you have ever read this story if it wasn't a challenge?

Probably not. Romance has never been my thing, and I rarely click unless something manages to catch my eye.

Probably when Nick laid out all his issues to Quinn. I really like what that did for his character.

AJ, AJ was like the voice of reason in the story in a whole mess of relationship chaos.

5) Overall tell us one reason why you think someone else should/or shouldn't read this story.

If you like romance, check it out. It flows nicely and is written very well.

6) Did it convert you to the genre it is? Would you be willing to read another story just like it?

Unfortunately no. I'm just  the type of reader who enjoys romance best as a subplot to something bigger. Having it be the front and center, is like putting too much salt on your food for me. A little is great, too much destroys the whole meal.

7) Give one piece of concrit that might help the author for future reference. This can be positive too, concrit doesn't always mean negative.

Darby, you are very talented. One thing I'd say is maybe your characterizati on, which in Casual, was a bit of a turnoff. Quinn's guardedness may have been too much which may be why she's unrelatable. At times it made me want to click out. Brian, while looking out for Nick, reads like a cynical ass who wants to be proven right lol, which I'm not sure if that's what you were going for. And certain things you're telling in the story, would sometimes be best used in dialogue and being shown instead. But I like that overall the drama isn't really that over the top. That's one pet peeve I have in romance, and you didn't really have that problem :).

8)Do you think you'd want to read another romance?  Does this story help you understand why writers sometime include sex/adult situations in stories?

I have no problem reading romances, persay. I'm just incredibly picky because pure romance tends to not keep my interest without something bigger moving the story. But it hadn't changed my mind on that though. And I have to say, this story does use sex scenes better than most romances do. I get that they're supposed to be there, it's life. It's just in some, they're thrown in just to be there. You didn't do that.

If I knew they liked romance, sure. This story is popular for a reason  :).

I'd say a 7.

11) Do you think after you are done reading what's there so far (and you only have to read however many chapters are there when the start of this challenge was given) Do you think you will continue to read the story through to the end to see what happens to the characters?

N/A

12) And for those of you reading completed stories, if there was a sequel, would you be curious enough to continue reading on?
Probably not, just cause I was satisfied with where she left it. If there was a sequel I'd be worried about the drama being too much.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2011, 06:09:25 PM »

Who was the person reading your story?
Mel

1. Did you get regular feedback on your chapters from your reader?

Yes! Mel's been really great about that :)

2. Did you respond to that feedback?

Of course, it drives me crazy when people don't respond LOL.

3. Did your reader take the time and post about what they read in the forum thread?

Yep.

4.  Do you feel like you got the amount of feedback you were expecting?

I was actually surprised at how much. Mel reviewed every chapter she's read, which I didn't expect since there's a lot of them LOL.

5. Was there anything that the reader of your story said that surprised you?

I was surprised at how much she enjoyed Bunnies In Black, it's not one of my fave episodes, so I didn't expect her to really get into that one. She wasn't that big on Ice Ice Baby, which was one of my faves to write LOL. I was surprised at that fact she was enjoying this story more than I predicted.

6. Do you feel like the feedback you got was constructive and something you would use as a tool to help you out later?

Yes! She pointed out some flaws we'd missed during editing. Some of the early choppiness we knew about, but there were things we missed that she made sure to tell us about. I really appreciated that.

7. Overall did you think this was a positive experience? Why or why not?

I think so, because it's good getting fresh eyes on a story you love to write. I think 00Carter needed that a lot, which was why Julie and I decided to have that be the story for both of us.

8. Is there any question you have for your reader that you would like them to elaborate on?

Not really, Mel's been really good at being clear in her reviews. I've loved seeing her comments.

9. Would you consider taking part in something like this again?

Sure!

10. Do you have any comments for your reader or anyone in general who may want to read your story in the future?

Thanks so much for giving this a shot Mel! You've been fabulous.

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2011, 06:46:09 PM »

YAY Rose!

Okay Darby, Saka Steph who is on the forum now ans hopefully reading at the same time! And Mel!! You need to finish this. Poor 00Carter has two people reading it and both epically failing on it.

Reading now...

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2011, 07:40:14 PM »

1) Name of the story you read and the author and what you feel the genre is. Your answer might be different then the authors.
Sinister Devotion by kevmylove - genre would be action/au/romance, same as Erika put in the description.

2) Would you have ever read this story if it wasn't a challenge? 
I had heard good things about this story, so it was on my "to read list"...not sure I would have kept reading had it not been for the challenge...I'm not a blood and guts, action gal.

I absolutely loved the first scenes with Jack...I was amazed at how Erika developed his character so early on and I really felt like I knew him from the beginning.

Jack!!!  I felt like he was very honest and although he was a cold blooded killer, there was something very endearing about him and I loved watching him become human.

If you are into action and AU, this story is for you!  Lots of drama and blood and guts.  I would dissuade you action, AU and blood and guts aren't your thing.  

6) Did it convert you to the genre it is? 

I like bsb as themselves, in somewhat a semblance of their roles in life.  The blood and guts makes me lose interest and skim.

You did an amazing job with character development on Jack...I would love to have seen that same attention paid to Crystal's character bc she gets about as much "screentime" as Jack.  I would have stayed more engaged and been able to follow the story better if I knew more about her.  I think switching POVs between the two main characters would have switched up some of the confusion in the action/fight scenes and made things more clear.

8) This should be the question the author asked in their survey. Everyone's will be different. 

I couldn't find Erika's survey!

Yes, if you like action/AU

11) Do you think after you are done reading what's there so far (and you only have to read however many chapters are there when the start of this challenge was given) Do you think you will continue to read the story through to the end to see what happens to the characters?

N/A

And for those of you reading completed stories, if there was a sequel, would you be curious enough to continue reading on? 

Probably not, although I was throughly confused by the ending and would like to know if Jack is alive.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2011, 07:43:35 PM »

YAY Darby! :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2011, 07:45:17 PM »

now only one story in bright yellow! What is up with 00Carter? LOL

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2011, 08:31:42 PM »

1. Did you get regular feedback on your chapters from your reader?  I got a review for every chapter

2. Did you respond to that feedback?  Not all of it, but have since been told the errors of my ways and will be attempting to respond to all my reviews from now on ;)

3. Did your reader take the time and post about what they read in the forum thread?  I think maybe once...

4.  Do you feel like you got the amount of feedback you were expecting?  I thought I might have gotten a bit more.  I was looking forward to my survey but it still hasn't been posted. 

5. Was there anything that the reader of your story said that surprised you?   Only the comments about Danielle, but in retrospect it made sense.

6. Do you feel like the feedback you got was constructive and something you would use as a tool to help you out later?  I didn't receive much in the way I can take to work on, except my female leads

7. Overall did you think this was a positive experience? Why or why not?  I quite enjoyed doing it.  Though I didn't get as much feedback as I was hoping with the survey I have read quite a few stories I might have missed and it has expanded what I've read.

8. Is there any question you have for your reader that you would like them to elaborate on? Nope

9. Would you consider taking part in something like this again?  Yes, and yes again.

10. Do you have any comments for your reader or anyone in general who may want to read your story in the future?  Read Chronos Project .. it's a WAY better Kevin fic ;)   LOL shameless plug
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2011, 12:58:48 AM »

Hey Darby thanks again for taking the time to read SD. Even if it wasn't exactly what you usually read. I'm really glad that you liked Jack's character, I was totally engrossed in developing him; that I forgot about Crystal. Oops!

I really like that concrit. I really didn't think about switching off POV's and proly even if I would have thought about it, I would have thought I couldn't pull it off.

Oh and you answered the question from my survey. I believe it was about if Jack was developed. ;)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2011, 06:08:52 AM »

Hey there!

I am leaving this opened so you can still fill out those surveys. I know the readers and writers would like to know what you thought about how well they did on both counts.

I'm sorry to Rose and Julie though, it's kind of funny that your story was supposed to be read by two people and they are the only ones who EPICALLY FAILED!!! at this challenge.

I apologize to you guys but at least I know, in Mel's case she did give you great feedback all along until she disappeared at the very end.

I thought this was a fun one and I do fully plan on doing it again next summer! :)

We'll probably have another reading one before then though.

Thanks again to everyone who participated!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2011, 09:54:43 AM »

LOL That's okay.  Mel got up to our current episode, so she read most of it and left great feedback.  Thanks, Mel!  I know it's long, but I hope it wasn't like pulling teeth trying to get through it, although now I'm worried maybe it was LOL.  Oh well, we knew going in it'd be read by people who probably wouldn't enjoy reading it otherwise.  Thanks for reading most of it, Mel!

I liked this challenge; it'll be fun to do it again next summer. :)
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling
Pages: 1 [2]