Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: When reading...  (Read 9667 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: When reading...
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2011, 06:35:42 PM »

Yes, when people tweet you about your story, it's different. (except when they are tweeting you BACK after you tweet them about your own fanfic lol) I think it's okay to talk about your fanfics. I mean we are all proud of our work, it's just not all we want to hear about. If I do that, I want someone to tweet slap me please!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2011, 06:45:08 PM »

Yeah I talk with my readers about my stories but initiating a convo is just desperate. I am proud of my work but I don't sit there tweeting about my fanfics every five minutes. I also hate when people RT those complimenting them constantly along with the story plugs. It gets old and it makes you look like you just want attention.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2011, 06:56:58 PM »

^ OMG Tracy, the RT thing is so annoying!  But yeah, I agree with Mare, I think it's normal to tweet about writing the same way you tweet about the other things you do in your life.  There's a difference between doing that and begging people to read your stories or trying to make them feel guilty for not.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2011, 07:52:28 PM »

I hate people who are RTing compliments about themselves. Egotistical much? Ugh.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2011, 10:04:39 PM »

Yeah which is why I don't compliment too much on twitter LOL. The constant RTs and omg I got feedback you guys love me..yeah lol

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2011, 10:20:11 PM »

I'm sure I've been one of the annoying ones lately... sorry if I've upset anyone by it.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2011, 11:56:56 PM »

Aw. I'm sure nobody meant you either! I don't find you annoying at all.

Mariah

• Major Disruption
  • Let go of today, tomorrow's another day...
    • http://www.absolutechaos.net/viewuser.php?uid=1274
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2011, 04:08:45 PM »

Agreed, there totally is, if people tweet you about it, that's different. Or if you just announce updates.

Stuff like this, for example...

I love my story, have you read my story?

And then a few minutes later...

Look how many reviews my story has! You should read it too!

And then another few minutes...

I love my story so much! I bet you would love it too if you read it!  You should! hehe

And a few more...

Did you know I updated *insert name here*? Why haven't you reviewed?

And another minute goes by...

Just letting you know I updated...why haven't you read yet *insert name here* ?

THAT is annoying. That is what we mean by total douchey shamelessness lol. I sometimes wonder if people who do that realize just how they come off and just how much they turn people off from reading. And that maybe that's why they don't have as many reviews.

I don't really see that behavior going on with how people write nowadays. I think a lot of us are much more respectful and don't see a need to act that way to gain an audience.
My Stories
Jack: FYI, he was the love of my life.
Will: You've said that about each Backstreet Boy at one time or another. -Will & Grace

Mariah

• Major Disruption
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2011, 04:11:10 PM »

I'm sure I've been one of the annoying ones lately... sorry if I've upset anyone by it.

No, you're not, trust me.
My Stories
Will: You've said that about each Backstreet Boy at one time or another. -Will & Grace

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2011, 04:38:05 PM »

I don't really see that behavior going on with how people write nowadays. I think a lot of us are much more respectful and don't see a need to act that way to gain an audience.

Sadly, it does go on. I don't think it is as bad as it used to be back in the day but yes, it happens a lot. In that very same way Rose mapped out. I swear I might have even seen those very tweets on my timeline at one point lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Mariah

• Major Disruption
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2011, 05:03:45 PM »

I'm rarely on Twitter so I don't really see what's going on with writers these days. Frankly I thought we all grew up. Guess not. lol
My Stories

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2011, 05:45:57 PM »

No, it's there. I've seen it. Drives me insane, because you'd think people would be.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2011, 06:07:41 PM »

Yeah I see it too and it gets old fast. I try not to tweet about fanfic too much...but like I said talking with readers is ok if they asked you something.

Mariah

• Major Disruption
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2011, 06:52:10 PM »

I stopped doing the plugging thing, mostly cuz I forgot and I mainly use twitter to rant. I figure the most recent stories will be enough to let people know I've updated. Just seems like too much plugging for me other ways. I tend to forget a lot of the time.
My Stories

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2011, 08:02:30 AM »

I think plugging is okay. I mean it makes sense for us to want people to read what we write. I just think sometimes some of us get too carried away with it. I'm sure it's not the case but I know if I based my opinoin on people solely by what they say on the internet (Particularly twitter since I don't do FB with BSB peeps) I would swear that fanfic consumes their lives. It's all some people talk about. Their own stuff and how everyone should be reading it. I would actually prefer to read 140 character rants about life instead of 140 character self adulation posts lol

Things have seemed to calm down lately, so that's good.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4