Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: March challenge - What's the Score?  (Read 16742 times)

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: March challenge - What's the Score?
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 11:42:50 AM »

Yay and you did it right too! One of my biggest fanfic pet peeves (I don't think I ever put this in that thread actually lol) is "song fics" that are 90% lyrics of a song that you may or may not know thus making them totally irrelevant with a paragraph of narrative between each verse. HAAAAATE.

Did I mention I hate it?
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

FrickFrackGirl

• Captain of Commotion
  • Nowie!!!!
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2012, 02:05:28 PM »

Yay and you did it right too! One of my biggest fanfic pet peeves (I don't think I ever put this in that thread actually lol) is "song fics" that are 90% lyrics of a song that you may or may not know thus making them totally irrelevant with a paragraph of narrative between each verse. HAAAAATE.

Did I mention I hate it?

Tell us how you REALLY feel about it Julia...lmao!!! 

That story is still the best thing I ever wrote, in my own humble opinion.  I just thought it would give an example of what a true song fic was.  :)

Yup, I'm a Nick girl!!  But I love ALL my Boys!

Jen

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2012, 02:45:50 PM »

I remember reading that when you first posted it, Jen! I love it.

I think I am going to have to upload my song choice to YouTube myself as I can't find it on there. Clearly I need more mainstream music tatses lol
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 12:28:24 PM »

Think of it like a soundtrack from a movie. While the movie plays out, a song can really compliment the scene. A lot of people think song fics are just typing out a bunch of lyrics and putting some writing in between them but I don't think that's the real intention. Write something that follows the storyline or theme of a song so that if you read that story while listening to the song they would compliment each other.

Ask yourself, what's the song about?

Is it literal? The Call would be an example of a literal story. The song is actually about a phone call gone wrong and the fallout from it.

Is it figurative? In I'm Taking Off Nick isn't actually singing about spaceships and getting in a rocket. The song is about a break-up and getting away from someone even when their "gravity" keeps pulling you in.

Find the story within the song you choose and write a fic to compliment it. You can either follow the story of the song literally or figuratively, so long as the song compliments the story and vice versa. You can even use a song that doesn't necessarily have lyrics, but just seems to suit the story. If the music is dramatic, so should the words on the page be. The music could be romantic, or funny, etc, etc.

Does that help?

Absolutely, Julilly! Thank you! This is how I understand song fic but I got lost when you said something about instrumental.. .. Thanks for explaining it. You best explained it in your example about American Psycho movie... :)
A world without Alex is a wasted space.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 09:12:14 PM »

Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2012, 11:39:37 AM »

Really enjoyed it Rose, the song fitted perfectly :)

FrickFrackGirl

• Captain of Commotion
  • Nowie!!!!
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2012, 07:57:04 PM »

My submission is finally up after fighting with this freakin computer all evening...

http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10861

Jen

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2012, 08:54:06 PM »

Cute one, Jen! :) I loooove Nick singing faithfully, and he's gorgeous in that video.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

FrickFrackGirl

• Captain of Commotion
  • Nowie!!!!
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2012, 09:59:59 PM »

I know Steph..and I'm sooooooooooo jealous you got to SEE that in person! I did 6 shows and 4 VIPS and the ONLY VIPs I didn't do were the ones he sang Faithfully at!! I'm sooooooooo mad!!!!!!! lol  But thanks.  I wish I would have taken a little more time with it tho.  My whole idea was to make readers think it was Lauren waiting for Nick to come home.  Thanks for the review too!  :)

Jen

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2012, 12:04:05 AM »

I have a song to use for this challenge, I just need to write it. Hoping to start on it tonight or tomorrow possibly :)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2012, 08:48:21 AM »

Really enjoyed it Jenn, and yes, you had me fooled into thinking it was Lauren waiting for Nick.  Loved that performance too, would love to see a solo Nick show, but don't think it'll happen here!

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2012, 12:46:13 PM »

Really enjoyed it Rose, the song fitted perfectly :)

Thanks! :)
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2012, 10:18:06 PM »

Yay... mine's done!

http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10862

I had to upload the song to YouTube myself so ignore the dumb NKOTBSB picture I added, it really has nothing to do with anything and was the first picture I grabbed off my computer lol
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2012, 09:30:04 AM »

Really enjoyed it Steph :)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2012, 11:39:14 AM »